mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-02, 07:47   #133
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklasson View Post
I think it's already taken care of. You should really get the fast 64-bit gnfs-lasieve if you're using a 64-bit machine though. Twice the speed, twice the fun.
Actually, even though I'm on a Core 2 Duo which is capable of 64-bit, I'm only running a 32-bit OS. It's primarily because this same machine used to have a Pentium 4 which I upgraded to the Core 2, and I never got around to doing a full reinstall of the OS. You're right, though, I really should get around to it sometime or other.

Anyway, thanks--glad to know I'm at least operating at full speed (at least by 32-bit standards). I should probably do some sec./rel comparisons between the Windows and Linux binaries, too, to see if the Windows one is operating at full speed as well.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2009-04-02 at 07:48
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 09:11   #134
mklasson
 
Feb 2004

2·3·43 Posts
Default

Well I'm off for a week. May all your sequences terminate in the meantime!

Happy factoring,
Mikael
mklasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:37   #135
hhh
 
hhh's Avatar
 
Jun 2005

373 Posts
Default Something went wrong...

I got ggnfs, the unxutils, adjusted the paths. aliqueit started selecting a polynomial, started sieving, and called msieve. So far so good; or so bad, because msieve refuses, Nicholas Nickleby-style, to do his duty:



Code:
Found 410524 relations, need at least 403406 to proceed.
=> "../msieve.exe" -s test.dat -l ggnfs.log -i test.ini -v -nf test.fb -t 2 -nc1


Msieve v. 1.38 for use in GGNFS 0.77.1-VC8(Sat 01/17/2009)

usage: ../msieve.exe [options]

options:
   -s <name> save intermediate results to <name>
             instead of the default msieve.dat
<snip>
Then: GGNFS failed to find a factor. Thisreally shouldn't happen, etc.

What is going on?

H.

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2009-04-11 at 01:57 Reason: At request of hhh
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:52   #136
Andi47
 
Andi47's Avatar
 
Oct 2004
Austria

1001101100102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
I got ggnfs, the unxutils, adjusted the paths. aliqueit started selecting a polynomial, started sieving, and called msieve. So far so good; or so bad, because msieve refuses, Nicholas Nickleby-style, to do his duty:



Code:
Found 410524 relations, need at least 403406 to proceed.
=> "../msieve.exe" -s test.dat -l ggnfs.log -i test.ini -v -nf test.fb -t 2 -nc1


Msieve v. 1.38 for use in GGNFS 0.77.1-VC8(Sat 01/17/2009)

usage: ../msieve.exe [options]

options:
   -s <name> save intermediate results to <name>
             instead of the default msieve.dat
<snip>
Then: GGNFS failed to find a factor. Thisreally shouldn't happen, etc.

What is going on?

H.
I don't know what's going on, but you should upgrade to msieve 1.40. Msieve is used for poly selection (at least if you are using aliqueit 1.06), and msieve 1.39 or higher finds very good polynomials (very often far better than pol51), but msieve 1.38 or lower finds very bad polynomials.

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2009-04-11 at 01:58 Reason: At request of hhh
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 18:45   #137
10metreh
 
10metreh's Avatar
 
Nov 2008

1001000100102 Posts
Default

I called aliqueit with "aliqueit 130396 -e", trying to get it to run GNFS on a C95 that has cropped up. (I've just finished a C96, now another GNFS comes along!) It then spewed out "'msieve' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". It has previously called msieve fine for QS, so why is it failing for NFS?

Just seen Mikael has been inactive for a week.

Last fiddled with by 10metreh on 2009-04-09 at 18:46
10metreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 21:04   #138
Joshua2
 
Joshua2's Avatar
 
Sep 2004

13×41 Posts
Default

because its looking for msieve from the gnfs folder it spawned, its not there its up one folder. So you need to add msieve so it will always be every (forgetting temparily the proper name for that) or what I did fully reference msieve.exe in the folder, instead of just its name. Like c:/aliq/msieve.exe
Joshua2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 23:01   #139
schickel
 
schickel's Avatar
 
"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,061 Posts
Default RFE (Request for Enhancement)

Mikael, when starting a run on an existing file, can you have it just start if the partial factorization has correct factors?

I started a run on a file after aliquot.ub crashed (what better time?), but it had already written a partial line to sequence.txt.:
Code:
 841 .	 217333463898073716968749123915310163720522193994529887617661042267858643477340578271748105204 = 2^2 * 7
Obviously aliqueit.exe complained that the product didn't match the factors, but I would prefer that if a partial line like that is encountered, that it go ahead and resume the run. What about everyone else?
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 04:50   #140
Andi47
 
Andi47's Avatar
 
Oct 2004
Austria

1001101100102 Posts
Default

When running multiple instances of aliqueit on a PC (e.g. a dual core), I think I have to create two different aliqueit folders to avoid logfile mismatches. What about naming the logfiles and temporary save files something like aliqueit<sequence_number>.log, factors<sequence_number>.log, ecm_<sequence_number>.out, msieve<sequence_number>.log etc.? (does yafu allow to specify how the output file is named?)

Last fiddled with by Andi47 on 2009-04-10 at 04:50
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 11:47   #141
mklasson
 
Feb 2004

25810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
What is going on?
H.
I don't know what's going on either, but presumably the old msieve v1.38 doesn't accept the cmdline args ggnfs (factMsieve.pl) fed it. Like Andi said, try upgrading to msieve v1.40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10metreh View Post
I called aliqueit with "aliqueit 130396 -e", trying to get it to run GNFS on a C95 that has cropped up. (I've just finished a C96, now another GNFS comes along!) It then spewed out "'msieve' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". It has previously called msieve fine for QS, so why is it failing for NFS?
Ailqueit creates a new directory for each ggnfs run so you'll need to put msieve.exe in a directory you've got included in your PATH env. var., or do like Joshua suggested and write the full path and filename to msieve.exe in aliqueit.ini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
Mikael, when starting a run on an existing file, can you have it just start if the partial factorization has correct factors? [...] I would prefer that if a partial line like that is encountered, that it go ahead and resume the run. What about everyone else?
Yeah, I could do that if there's still any interest in it and/or I get some time to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi47 View Post
When running multiple instances of aliqueit on a PC (e.g. a dual core), I think I have to create two different aliqueit folders to avoid logfile mismatches. What about naming the logfiles and temporary save files something like aliqueit<sequence_number>.log, factors<sequence_number>.log, ecm_<sequence_number>.out, msieve<sequence_number>.log etc.? (does yafu allow to specify how the output file is named?)
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do.

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2009-04-11 at 01:59 Reason: Elidding name at request of hhh
mklasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 18:08   #142
Joshua2
 
Joshua2's Avatar
 
Sep 2004

13×41 Posts
Default

Still you won't be able to call ecm or msieve again, right? I was getting that error when I tried two cores in one folder, it said ecm can't run and such; its not too bad to use 2 folders.
Joshua2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 18:25   #143
Andi47
 
Andi47's Avatar
 
Oct 2004
Austria

2×17×73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua2 View Post
Still you won't be able to call ecm or msieve again, right? I was getting that error when I tried two cores in one folder, it said ecm can't run and such; its not too bad to use 2 folders.
It is at least possible to manually (i.e. without aliqueit) run two instances of ECM in the same folder - you just need to use different names for the input- and outputfiles. (I successfully did this quite often.)

It is also possible to run two instances of GGNFS in the same folder (with differently named output files) - I frequently do this manually, and also FactMsieve.pl is doing this if the number of threads is specified to be >1.

For msieve and yafu - I don't know.

Last fiddled with by Andi47 on 2009-04-10 at 18:26
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resuming aliqueit johnadam74 Aliquot Sequences 4 2016-03-28 12:32
Apparent aliqueit issue with specifying factors pakaran Aliquot Sequences 2 2015-09-12 23:10
Using Several Instances of Aliqueit for a large gnfs job EdH Aliquot Sequences 6 2011-12-13 18:58
Setting up aliqueit science_man_88 Aliquot Sequences 185 2011-11-08 12:18
Tried out aliqueit.exe: ggnfs failing Greebley Aliquot Sequences 35 2010-02-13 15:23

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:36.

Mon Sep 28 02:36:21 UTC 2020 up 17 days, 23:47, 0 users, load averages: 1.91, 1.59, 1.50

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.