Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×41×61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The officer told of a woman who asked about it, to which he responded by asking her if she would point the gun at the intruder and say "Hold it!" or something like that. The woman had said she would.

To which the officer had replied, "You'd be dead."
A friend of a friend told me that they kept their 7 shot shotgun loaded with (in order) 2 rounds of snake or bird shot, 3 rounds 00 Buck, 2 slugs. The first two can be fired in a room of the house and not harm people in the adjacent rooms. Also, likely to stop or prevent harm by a bad person, while not generally doing irreparable harm to a family member accidentally shot. The 00 Buck will stop a person. (The 2 rounds of snake shot can be quickly racked out if needed). The slugs are disabling vehicles if needed.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 22:58   #706
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·47·53 Posts

NRA declares bankruptcy, plans to incorporate in Texas
Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The National Rifle Association announced Friday it has filed for bankruptcy and will seek to incorporate the nation’s most politically influential gun-rights group in Texas instead of New York.

The announcement made on the NRA's website comes months after New York's attorney general sued the organization over claims that top executives illegally diverted tens of millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts for associates and other questionable expenditures.
<snip>
The NRA said it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in a Dallas federal court.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 00:35   #707
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

3×223 Posts

CBS had interviews on tonite's news with the 2 capital police officers who looked like they were in deep trouble during the riots. One was the guy who was dragged out onto the outside steps and was being pummeled by the crowd and the other one was caught in a door and being crushed by the mob pushing on it.

What I don't understand is why the other officers didn't use lethal force to save them. Don't they carry guns? I'm fairly sure I have seen them with hand guns. If there ever was a justifiable cause this sure looked like one.
Maybe the subsequent paperwork was just too onerous to make it worthwhile.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 05:55   #708
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

7·13·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
What I don't understand is why the other officers didn't use lethal force to save them. Don't they carry guns? I'm fairly sure I have seen them with hand guns. If there ever was a justifiable cause this sure looked like one.
https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/st...03191169757186
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 00:07   #709
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10011011101102 Posts

Following up on this post...

Judge dismisses NRA bankruptcy case in blow to gun group
Quote:
DALLAS (AP) - A federal judge dismissed the National Rifle Association's bankruptcy case Tuesday, leaving the powerful gun-rights group to face a New York state lawsuit that accuses it of financial abuses and aims to put it out of business.

The judge was tasked with deciding whether the NRA should be allowed to incorporate in Texas instead of New York, where the state is suing in an effort to disband the group. Though headquartered in Virginia, the NRA was chartered as a nonprofit in New York in 1871 and is incorporated in the state.

Judge Harlin Hale said in a written order that he was dismissing the case because he found the bankruptcy was not filed in good faith.

"The Court believes the NRA's purpose in filing bankruptcy is less like a traditional bankruptcy case in which a debtor is faced with financial difficulties or a judgment that it cannot satisfy and more like cases in which courts have found bankruptcy was filed to gain an unfair advantage in litigation or to avoid a regulatory scheme," Hale wrote.

His decision followed 11 days of testimony and arguments. Lawyers for New York and the NRA's former advertising agency grilled the group's embattled top executive, Wayne LaPierre, who acknowledged putting the NRA into Chapter 11 bankruptcy without the knowledge or assent of most of its board and other top officers.

"Excluding so many people from the process of deciding to file for bankruptcy, including the vast majority of the board of directors, the chief financial officer, and the general counsel, is nothing less than shocking," the judge added.
<snip>
Old 2021-08-14, 02:27   #710
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

11×571 Posts

If only there was a "good guy" there with another gun then everything would have been okay.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...play-with-cat/
Quote:
The woman, who a witness said had been drinking, picked up the handgun, “turned on the laser sight and was pointing it at the floor to get the cat to chase it,” when the gun went off, the complaint filed Thursday said.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 03:19   #711
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×47×53 Posts

Quote:
The man, who was standing in a doorway, was shot in the thigh, authorities said. He left and went into another apartment, where police found him after responding to a 911 call, the Kenosha News reported.

A tourniquet was applied to his leg to stop the bleeding before he was taken to a hospital. There's no word on his condition, but authorities said he was facing charges for violating bond conditions that prevented him from having a weapon.
So, a man who was legally forbidden to possess a gun, gets a hold of one. And then hands it - loaded - to a lady friend, who is also loaded (i.e. tipsy).

Old 2021-08-15, 15:33   #712
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

24·13·47 Posts

Bwaaa haha, I imagine the cat is by now in Thailand

This reminds me of a true story when I was child, in my town there was an old man who was a "hunter". That was a big deal during the communist regime, when the guns were forbidden. He was old and retired but still kept his shotgun, and he was telling a lot of stories around a chessboard and a bottle of beer, but not all stories were true, or believable, you know how it is with hunters and fishermen, they like to exaggerate a bit aabout their catches... But we liked to listen to his stories and to play chess with him. We could not judge, at that age, if the stories were true or not, we believed mostly of anything he was saying, but some stories, even they were maybe true, they were unbelievable because they were so fierce (i.e. he looked fierce in those stories), while he was a very kind and merciful person, he would not kill a fly. But it was thrilling to listen to him.

Sometimes he was called to put down a fierce dog that the owner could not handle and was biting people, or so.

Anyhow. I remember this story, even more years before, about my grandma having a cat that was eating chickens. The devilish thing liked to catch and kill small chickens, which is really bad for a little farm my grandma had, and after finding out that some chicken are missing, and witnessing the cat in flagrant, my grandma went to the old guy and asked him to shot the cat.

But he didn't want to come, he said, "well, I am an old guy, how would I look going around the farm with a shotgun chasing your cat? Better you catch it and put it in a bag and bring it here and I will shot it".

Ok, my grandma caught the cat, it took a while, and a lot of fat treats, the little devil was aware that something is not right and it didn't want to get close to anybody. Especially after my grandma seeing it the former day with the little baby chicken in its mouth, tried to "pat it gently" on the back with a big broom that kind used to sweep the yard...

But at the end she caught it, and put it in a burlap bag and brought it to the executioner. The old man had no escape, you could not argue with my grandma, especially after she argued with the cat that was eating chickens, so he went into the house, came out with the gun after 10 minutes or so, like he was taking a nap inside, or looking for a way to avoid the crime, then he took the bag, almost with tears in his eyes, while we, children, were keeping the distance, we were not allowed to come close to the loaded gun, especially with grandma around.

Then the old guy set the bag down on the grass, opened a little the mouth of the bag as much as it was enough to put the shotgun inside, without letting the "devil" escape, then it pointed the gun for few minutes in that direction, or this direction, searching where the daemon is, to be sure that it will kill it from the first shot, then it looked to my grandma, maybe she changed her mind, but it was no way, easier the sky falls, she was standing with a hand on her hip looking like "are you going to kill it once forever, or I am wasting the time here with you?"

BANG!

We almost fell from the top of the fence from where we were watching, we never imagine the sound to be so loud.

Then in the next millisecond, through the big burned hole in the burlap, the black devil shot out like a bullet, and ten milliseconds later he was already in the United States, about which, at the time, we had no idea it existed.

Grandma was all fire and embers, like "what did you do you idiot, you let it escape!"

But the old guy a bit ashamed, "sorry, I missed, but you know what, you catch it again and bring it here and I will kill it for sure!", like that was some easy task, haha.

I don't remember the fate of that cat, probably if it ever returned from United States, which I don't believe (nobody returned back to Romania from the States, at the time! hehe), some of my uncles probably hanged it.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-08-17 at 05:56
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 02:48   #713
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

137616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
<snip>
Then the old guy set the bag down on the grass, opened a little the mouth of the bag as much as it was enough to put the shotgun inside, without letting the "devil" escape, then it pointed the gun for few minutes in that direction, or this direction, searching where the daemon is, to be sure that it will kill it from the first shot, then it looked to my grandma, maybe she changed her mind, but it was no way, easier the sky falls, she was standing with a hand on her hip looking like "are you going to kill it once forever, or I am wasting the time here with you?"

BANG!

We almost fell from the top of the fence from where we were watching, we never imagine the sound to be so loud.

Then in the next millisecond, through the big burned hole in the burlap, the black devil shot out like a bullet,
<snip>
This reminds me...

When I was a kid, I missed out on a fun incident in my neighborhood which I heard about not long after. Neighbors several houses down discovered they had a possum under their front porch, were concerned it might harm their kids, and didn't know what to do. They called the police. Officer Friendly responded, and quickly verified that there was indeed a possum under the porch. The kids gathered around, wondering what the policeman would do.

He did not slap the cuffs on Pogo. What he did was, he drew his .38 service revolver and fired at the possum, which was at close range. The noise scared the everlovin' out of the kids.

He didn't miss, though. The possum was quite dead, and the remains were quite a mess, left to the homeowners to deal with.
Old 2021-08-16, 13:55   #714
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

55616 Posts

On the subject of stories:

I was living in Texas in the 1980's and had a next-door neighbor who had a raccoon chew a hole in his roof and get into his attic. The raccoon caused a lot of damage. Now this fellow drank about a bottle of whiskey a day and was always at some stage of inebriation. One evening I saw him sitting in a lawn chair on his driveway facing his house, drinking from his whiskey bottle, and he was holding his Springfield .30-06 with a mounted scope. I went over and asked what he was doing. He said "that damn raccoon comes out of the attic every night, walks along the ridgeline of my home, and I'm gonna pick him off." I asked if he was in shape to shoot his rifle and he said "doan worry about me, I'm a good shot." So I went back inside my home and was telling my wife about this, when BAM! I went back out and there was the dead raccoon on his driveway after it tumbled off the roof. He said "there, I saved the cost of an exterminator...."
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 14:22   #715
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

498210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs View Post
<snip>and he was holding his Springfield .30-06 with a mounted scope. I went over and asked what he was doing. He said "that damn raccoon comes out of the attic every night, walks along the ridgeline of my home, and I'm gonna pick him off." I asked if he was in shape to shoot his rifle and he said "doan worry about me, I'm a good shot."
<snip>
I hope this was in a rural area. I imagine a .30-06 slug might still be able to do damage some distance away after hitting something as small as a raccoon.