Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2017-04-10, 05:48   #34
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

245368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
I will start some ranges for R3 soon. Due the lack of time in the past months I had no time to manage things.
Take your time. Large-conjectured bases are low priority. I'd much rather you continue with the way things are going.
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 05:56   #35
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

268316 Posts

Gary, you are taking this too hard. Nobody wants to take away your job (and your hard earned fame, hehe).

And to the others, believe me, I did R66 to n=10k, with only 100 million k's to test, it took me more than a year and half and it was freaking difficult to manage. And of course the 706 tera-k's to be tested would require at least as many tera-bytes to store the exhibited primes (assuming optimistically that you store each prime in a single byte, with some form of clever compression trick). People who want to manage giga-bases and this sort, they don't know what they are talking about and they were all sucked into this joke. Because it is nothing else than a first of April joke, I am sure KEP knew exactly what he is doing when he posted it on April first (see my post #20 in this thread). At the time of posting I was reading it and laughing and did not expect it to get to some people so deep

It is time to end the joke before you start punching and kicking each-other...

You are all April Fools now
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 06:19   #36
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

295E16 Posts

I am more than happy to give away parts of my "job" on this project. lol I just want whomever does it to know what is involved. Keep in mind that very early in the project I was happy to give away R3 to KEP but he decided to give it back on his own. Now that all k's have been searched to n>=25K it is not quite so difficult to manage and so we'd like to hang on to it. Managing 100,000-300,000 k's is easier than 30G k's. ...and since we have R3 I feel we should keep S3 also. Any other base with a CK > 1G is fair game to me for others to take as their own project. For that matter I could be talked out of many bases with a CK > 1M.

I do not think KEP posted it as an April fools joke. That is why it has gotten such discussion.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2017-04-10 at 06:21
Old 2017-04-10, 12:54   #37
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

22·35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
KEP can you talk with MisterBitcoin about possibly managing a huge base?
Yes, done
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 12:58   #38
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

17148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
You are all April Fools now
Sadly not. But I do feel sad that my human error of forgetting the "-" in srbase new website name, made me resort to post here. It was not to start a debate or discussion and it was not an april fools joke. For several years I have posted these stats on the srbase website and everyone looked at them and no one really said anything about them.

Maybe this thread afterall should just be deleted, it seems to be way off topic and it really does not benefit this project. For those interested in "my version" of the overall project progress, it will remain on the srbase website. So Gary, if you ever decide to delethe this entire thread, you won't hear any rejections from me. Of course other posters has to be asked before
Old 2017-04-10, 13:01   #39
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

22·35 Posts

Quote:
I am more than happy to give away parts of my "job" on this project. lol I just want whomever does it to know what is involved. Keep in mind that very early in the project I was happy to give away R3 to KEP but he decided to give it back on his own. Now that all k's have been searched to n>=25K it is not quite so difficult to manage and so we'd like to hang on to it. Managing 100,000-300,000 k's is easier than 30G k's. ...and since we have R3 I feel we should keep S3 also. Any other base with a CK > 1G is fair game to me for others to take as their own project. For that matter I could be talked out of many bases with a CK > 1M.

I do not think KEP posted it as an April fools joke. That is why it has gotten such discussion.
Well the starting up a base has gotten easier, since Rogue created srbsieve. One of the reasons I abandoned R3 in the first place, were because I had too many k's remaining in my list. With srbsieve, we are not likely to see that mistake again. But yes, it does require a lot to administrate a huge base and I admire you for the will to do it.

Last fiddled with by KEP on 2017-04-10 at 13:01
Old 2017-04-11, 05:54   #40
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

101001010111102 Posts

I would never delete a thread with such an extensive discussion even if there are differences of opinion where discussions might get a little heated as long as no one is trolling. That is what makes projects interesting in the long run.
Old 2017-04-11, 15:49   #41
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

17148 Posts

Quote:
I would never delete a thread with such an extensive discussion even if there are differences of opinion where discussions might get a little heated as long as no one is trolling. That is what makes projects interesting in the long run.
Well as long as this thread doesn't end up hurting the project I'm also okay with us keeping the thread
Old 2017-04-12, 14:18   #42
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

9,859 Posts

Keep it.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 22:58   #43
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×3×5×353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
(has been delayed due to me working on creating an accurate statistics on our overall progress).
Does this include the trillions of k's (99.9%+) that the project has not searched on huge conjectured bases? If so, why? That would be useless information and is very misleading about what we have accomplished. We already have a reasonable overall progress here: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/cru...crus-stats.htm.

Priority now instead of finding billions and trillions of teeny primes should be to test some of the bases with < 5 k's remaining that have only been searched to n=100K. There are many of those, their test times are reasonable, and we can reasonably prove some of them.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2017-12-30 at 23:01
Old 2017-12-31, 11:14   #44
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

17148 Posts

Quote:
Does this include the trillions of k's (99.9%+) that the project has not searched on huge conjectured bases? If so, why? That would be useless information and is very misleading about what we have accomplished. We already have a reasonable overall progress here: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/cru...crus-stats.htm.

Priority now instead of finding billions and trillions of teeny primes should be to test some of the bases with < 5 k's remaining that have only been searched to n=100K. There are many of those, their test times are reasonable, and we can reasonably prove some of them.
It includes no teeny tiny primes. Because of the way srbsieve works, it is very easy to automatize the process of finding out exactly how many k's each conjecture has that are Trivial k's, MOB and for the Sierpinski side GFN. It is not useless, at least thats not how it is viewed by the thousand new users that support CRUS through BOINC at srbase.

To be clear, I'm not (like when I created the srbsieve.ini files) searching for any primes other than on base 16 for now. But even though the stats we already have now is good and great, they say nothing at all about how far we have actually gotten

I'm btw gonna publish my version 0.1 of the more accurate statistics on srbase website, very soon. The stats I publish will contain the data available on january 1st on the various subpages on the CRUS website. So far more than 22T trivial factors has been counted and 374 GFN aswell as 2.5+T MOB's

Happy new year everyone

Take care