mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2007-02-12, 13:23   #1
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts
Default Best Laptop ever?

Dear friends,

I consider buying a notebook, and as I am not much of a gamer, and Vista is none of my priorities, I think a used one will largely do. But which?
A google search for "best laptop evar" yields thousands of sites saying that iBooks are the nonplusultra. Though, I am too much mainstream guy to be willing to start a system change.

So, I would like to ask you (since I am here) to tell about your positive (and perhaps negative) laptop experiences with x-86-machines. Everything counts: the finest hardware can be turned into crap by a stupid keyboard-layout, I guess, so if you were really happy with some machine, please tell me (and everybody else).

Thanks in advance (Yours H.)
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 15:59   #2
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23×11×97 Posts

I have an old Thinkpad X21. It is all I need or want in a computer.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 18:16   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2DEA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
*Very* happy with the ThinkPad I use at work - if you can get a gently used one with the nkind of CPU/memory you need for a good price, I think you'll be quite satisfied.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 20:23   #4
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

33F16 Posts

I've succeeded in equipping my family with ThinkPads.
As all notebooks, they also fell considerably in price. I was surprised to get a R60 with good contents for €1200...

Depending on personal taste and resources, the T models could also be worth a try.
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 20:45   #5
Paulie

Aug 2002

223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I was going to say T23. I liked the T30, because it was a mobile northwood. :)

My current T41 is very solid. Though my Powerbook Titanium G4/800 has been rock solid for me surfing from the couch for the past 4 years or so. :)
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 20:58   #6
Ethan Hansen

Oct 2005

23·5 Posts

Add my voice to the ThinkPad chorus. If you are after a laptop actually designed for use on the road or in locations other than your desk, the IBM/Lenovo notebooks are hard to beat. They do not offer the snazziest and fastest hardware, nor do they have glowing cases or decorator colors. Instead, you get a notebook that shows a good amount of industrial design prowess.

Examples: The screen has a minimal bezel surrounding it and the hinges are recessed slightly into the base. This allows opening the screen and using it on an airline tray. The keyboard uses the entire width of the notebook, making it usable for those of us with larger than average size mitts. The hard drive automatically parks itself when a shock is detected, the wireless antenna wraps around the screen giving excellent range, and the screen has a wider than average viewing angle. Also on the plus side is the IBM/Lenovo service. My dealings with them have been far better than similar calls to Dell, Toshiba, and others. One gets connected to a knowledgeable person fairly quickly, and if the support tech does not know the answer I have received follow-up calls within an hour. Service is also very good. Call IBM on day 1, receive a prepaid DHL box on the morning of day 2 and mail it that afternoon, the machine is serviced and shipped back on day 3, all is working again by the morning of day 4.
Ethan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote