Old 2012-01-07, 06:20   #1
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts
Default I need a laptop...

So I'm getting a laptop. I don't have the money to get a good one, my dad doesn't want to spend money on a good one, and besides best wait until Ivy Bridge with those fancy 3D transistors. But I have a programming class, so my dad will buy $250-$400 thingy, and I get a job to pay for fancy IB laptop later. So, since I will have no graphics card, I therefore do not require Windows (games) and therefore paying for it is a waste of money, since I will just delete it first thing. So:

Does anyone know where I can get a laptop without Winbloze preinstalled? (I know about http://www.system76.com/laptops/ (really neat actually), but that doesn't qualify as the $250 my dad's looking at.)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 05:11   #2
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

www.thinkpenguin.com

I'll be finding out just how real these guys are this week; I am ordering a router and external antennas and possibly some coax.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 05:39   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

121638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
So I'm getting a laptop. I don't have the money to get a good one, my dad doesn't want to spend money on a good one, and besides best wait until Ivy Bridge with those fancy 3D transistors. But I have a programming class, so my dad will buy $250-$400 thingy, and I get a job to pay for fancy IB laptop later. So, since I will have no graphics card, I therefore do not require Windows (games) and therefore paying for it is a waste of money, since I will just delete it first thing. So:

Does anyone know where I can get a laptop without Winbloze preinstalled? (I know about http://www.system76.com/laptops/ (really neat actually), but that doesn't qualify as the $250 my dad's looking at.)
Our company sells refurbished laptops for about that amount...but unless you live near me you might spend that much again in shipping.

Maybe you could check with any large companies near year for a similar program?
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 06:42   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
www.thinkpenguin.com

I'll be finding out just how real these guys are this week; I am ordering a router and external antennas and possibly some coax.
That looks really cool, but the lowest price is $450, for which I get an Atom. I can get an i3 (SB) at Best Buy for $350 (Winbloze though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Our company sells refurbished laptops for about that amount...but unless you live near me you might spend that much again in shipping.

Maybe you could check with any large companies near year for a similar program?
Could you please elaborate? What's your company? And Canada wouldn't be too much more expensive, right? (I'm in Illinois.) (Edit: Yikes, Chicago has a lot more people than all of Saskatchewan.)

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-01-09 at 06:43
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 17:01   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3×5×349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
That looks really cool, but the lowest price is $450, for which I get an Atom. I can get an i3 (SB) at Best Buy for $350 (Winbloze though).

Could you please elaborate? What's your company? And Canada wouldn't be too much more expensive, right? (I'm in Illinois.) (Edit: Yikes, Chicago has a lot more people than all of Saskatchewan.)
I used to work for SaskTel (the phone company); they have about 6,000 desktops and close to 1,000 Laptops. Each year 25% are deemed obsolete and get replaced; the obsoleted desktop or LapTop are taken by our Pioneer volunteer organization where they are cleaned; certified; refurbished, etc and then given to schools with the excess offered to employees for cheap: about $200 for desktops (something like a E6550 dual); about $250 for laptops (also dual).

With millions of people there must be some very large companies in Chicago with 10s of thousands of PCs on hand. Whether it is a 3 or even 6 year cycle, eventually they will be replaced; I hope they wouldn't throw away all those still usable PCs.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote