mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-09-05, 14:32   #1
Siegmund

Mar 2014

22·13 Posts
Default Work assigned to -Anonymous-

I had always been curious what this was.

I seem to have some of it now. I used the manual GPU assignment to get some factoring work. I thought I was logged in at the time, but apparently I wasn't (won't the page throw an error if you ARENT logged in and request work? seems like we should only give work to known accounts)... so, anyway, I now have 100 exponents which are in my worktodo file, but do not show in my assignments list on mersenne.org If I look up the exponents to see who they were assigned to, they are shown as checked out to "-Anonymous-".

Is there any reason I should do anything to correct this?
Will the results of that factoring (from mfaktc/MISFIT) still get reported and credited normally, even though they "aren't assigned to me"?

Last fiddled with by Siegmund on 2016-09-05 at 14:33
Siegmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 16:03   #2
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

B8716 Posts

You'll get credit, even if you "poach" "anonymous".
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 18:05   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

295F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmund View Post
...(won't the page throw an error if you ARENT logged in and request work? seems like we should only give work to known accounts)...
Yeah. That's an open "trouble ticket" which hasn't yet been closed...

As Mark said, just do the work and submit it. You'll get the credit.

If you want to inform Primenet that those assignments are yours, add them to the end of a Prime95/mprime worktodo.txt, and have the client communicate. No real reason to do this other than to have your name listed on the reports while they are being worked.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 20:26   #4
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

3×11×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Yeah. That's an open "trouble ticket" which hasn't yet been closed...

As Mark said, just do the work and submit it. You'll get the credit.

If you want to inform Primenet that those assignments are yours, add them to the end of a Prime95/mprime worktodo.txt, and have the client communicate. No real reason to do this other than to have your name listed on the reports while they are being worked.
Yeah... ditto all that. If you get an assignment anonymously and turn it in when logged in as an actual user, it's all good. Your account will get the credit.

Sometimes people want to just try out Prime95 and don't want to create an account... meh, no biggie. A *lot* of the time they don't even finish their assignments and there's a high churn rate in the category 4 ranges. But enough of them do finish that it makes it worthwhile to keep things as they are.

I changed the reports to use "-Anonymous-" for those users as compared to "ANONYMOUS" for people who actually create an account but don't want to have a public name listed. Just a way to differentiate between "I don't have an account at all" = "-Anonymous-" and "I have an account but want to remain anonymous" = "ANONYMOUS".

Hope that helps.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 02:00   #5
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

2×7×19 Posts

Is there a way to have "-Anonymous-" users contribute to a team without having to signup for an account for all them to mark as "ANONYMOUS"?

Last fiddled with by 0PolarBearsHere on 2016-09-06 at 02:00
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 02:18   #6
Siegmund

Mar 2014

22×13 Posts

Thanks for replies. I will continue to let the system in question merrily chug away and not lose sleep over it. Glad it wasn't my imagination that it happened, either.
Siegmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 02:25   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

100111000111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
As Mark said, just do the work log in, and submit it. You'll get the credit.
My addition. Otherwise the anonymous will get the credit
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote