Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-11-15, 19:11   #551
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

10100000010102 Posts

From BBC news

"Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has convened an urgent meeting of Poland's National Security Council after unconfirmed reports that stray Russian missiles hit a farm in a Polish village near the Ukrainian border, killing two people.

The village has been named as Przewodรณw."

Source link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-63593855 7 PM GMT

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2022-11-15 at 19:12
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-15, 22:50   #552
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

255138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
From BBC news...
Please forgive me for this small rant, but...

I find that almost all of the "news feeds" mostly just radiate out noise. Text; audio; video. Very little critical thought.

BBC is less bad than FOX or CNN or MSNBC (or even CBC). But it is still *highly* biased toward the west.

And, BTW, the Queen is dead. Long live the King. Get over if. (My apologies if that might be considered insensitive...)

PBS NewsHour is my go-to if I absolutely *have* to be subjected to a video and audio stream.

But... Personally... I prefer to just read. From many different sources. And then make my own decisions.

There might be a method in there somewhere. There must be prior art on this... 9-)
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 02:46   #553
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

89×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Please forgive me for this small rant, but...
You probably know that you are way too far in the woods, if each of your posts asks for forgiveness in the first line. Nearly no exceptions. "Please forgive me for" saying this, but you are weaseling, recently, approximately all the time. Comfortable position, is it?

In this case you are plainly wrong. Do you care to fake two civilian Polish citizens' deaths for "15 minutes of fame"? You would be in a minuscule minority. This is serious stuff. Apparently NATO will restrain itself from joining into the WW III. But then, what about "we will stand for every inch of the Article 5 territory, but we will not engage for Ukraine as it is not a member of NATO"? There you have it, - NATO, technically, was attacked. The consequences might be rather serious.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 11:21   #554
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

89·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
You probably know that you are way too far in the woods, if each of your posts asks for forgiveness in the first line. Nearly no exceptions. "Please forgive me for" saying this, but you are weaseling, recently, approximately all the time. Comfortable position, is it?

In this case you are plainly wrong. Do you care to fake two civilian Polish citizens' deaths for "15 minutes of fame"? You would be in a minuscule minority. This is serious stuff. Apparently NATO will restrain itself from joining into the WW III. But then, what about "we will stand for every inch of the Article 5 territory, but we will not engage for Ukraine as it is not a member of NATO"? There you have it, - NATO, technically, was attacked. The consequences might be rather serious.
But attacked by whom?

Collateral damage from an unsuccessful SAM?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 12:38   #555
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2×33×5×19 Posts

But but but I only posted a news link for the in-house experts.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 13:07   #556
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

24×389 Posts

Poland, NATO say missile strike wasn't a Russian attack
Quote:
PRZEWODOW, Poland (AP) - NATO member Poland and the head of the military alliance both said Wednesday there is "no indication" that a missile that came down in Polish farmland, killing two people, was an intentional attack, and that air defenses in neighboring Ukraine likely launched the Soviet-era projectile to fend off a Russian assault that savaged its power grid.

"Ukraine's defense was launching their missiles in various directions and it is highly probable that one of these missiles unfortunately fell on Polish territory," said Polish President Andrzej Duda. "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, to suggest that it was an intentional attack on Poland."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 18:43   #557
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

89·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
But attacked by whom?

Collateral damage from an unsuccessful SAM?
How would I know by whom? - I said Carlos' message wasn't noise, the deaths were real and not fake news and the investigation that then started was real.

Noise is for example "what words Lavrov said; was he or was he not in a hospital; that delegates refused joint pictures taken at G19" etc.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-16, 20:28   #558
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

11,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
No. I'm Canadian. We're always sorry for anything we might have / are doing / will do in the future.

It's just how we were brought up. Always try to avoid offense.

The reason I've been using that particular string in my recent comms is I really, truely, am not trying to cause any offense. To anyone.

The "hunt for the truth" takes time and effort.

P.S. Absolutely nothing but honesty meant in this post.
Old 2022-11-16, 21:50   #559
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5×29×59 Posts

We always worry about offending or bothering people with what we post.

Nine times out of ten we don't hit the submit button, even after typing a long response.

When we were younger we thought:

"We have important info to share! That person is wrong! We have a better idea!"

Now, we think:

"This is going to be way too much work to explain, and we are probably going to make a mistake and look stupid, and on top of all that the issue isn't going to end the world!"

YMMV, of course!

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-17, 00:36   #560
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

25·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
No. I'm Canadian. We're always sorry for anything we might have / are doing / will do in the future.

It's just how we were brought up.
As someone who has been a Canadian longer than most Canadians alive, I can relate to that. The problem is that apologizing for things that you were or were not responsible for is not as good a trait as you may think. It serves no real purpose and does not undo anything that was done. I too was brought up as a Persian to be polite and overly apologetic. But now my life experience is to avoid apologizing as much as possible.
To steer back on topic, IMHO you have a point in sieving news. It turns out now that the missile/projectile was most likely initiated from Ukraine (or at least that's what the news consensus stands at, for the moment).

Regardless, it is a shame that in 21st century innocent people are unjustifiably killed/hurt. Resorting to animalistic violence is an indication that the offender is not confident in his humanistic capabilities such as intelligence to achieve his objectives.
a1call is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-17, 00:53   #561
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101011010010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Regardless, it is a shame that in 21st century innocent people are unjustifiably killed/hurt. Resorting to animalistic violence is an indication that the offender is not confident in his humanistic capabilities such as intelligence to achieve his objectives.
I hear you. Thank you for that.