mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2010-06-28, 20:26   #1
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

10001000102 Posts
Default Lost assignment?

I am still working on a Mersenne with exponent in the 332,000,000 range. I tried to update the server with my work, and it said the assignments are no longer assigned to me. Luckily I had an old worktodo file that had SOME of the info still stored in it.

I just checked my mersenne.org profile, and I don't see the assignment.

How can I verify whether the exponent is still assigned to me? What do I do to get the exponents reassigned to me if they are not?
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 20:49   #2
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

2×32×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanpapi82 View Post
How can I verify whether the exponent is still assigned to me?
Go to Results queries -> Exponent status.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 21:03   #3
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2·3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
Go to Results queries -> Exponent status.
It says "no factor from 2^76 to 2^77 by "(MY NAME)" on 2009-05-16", but it doesn't say the exponent is assigned to me.
Old 2010-06-28, 21:19   #4
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

3·1,423 Posts

Quote:
It says "no factor from 2^76 to 2^77 by "(MY NAME)" on 2009-05-16", but it doesn't say the exponent is assigned to me.
Then it's not assigned to you.
You should be able to get it assigned to you so you can report the results one of these ways: (preferably the first)
Go to http://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/, log in, and request the sort of work you're doing (TF, I suppose) on the exponent(s) you need to re-reserve (using the exponent range boxes). Use the worktodo.txt lines and assignment IDs it gives you. When you're done, make sure the clients communicated that directly to the server, or paste/upload the results in to http://www.mersenne.org/manual_result/
Put the worktodo.txt lines in clients without the assignment IDs and let it communicate it all to PrimeNet. If PrimeNet says there's a problem with the assignment (evidenced by Prime95 writing N/A in the file instead of an assignment ID), you should see what's up and go from there.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 21:25   #5
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2×3×7×13 Posts

Wow, I just noticed the line:

AssignedLL testing to "S########n" on 2010-04-25
I'm actually 25% of the way through this assignment. I'm almost surely going to finish before this person. Is it possible to contact the person and let them know?

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2010-06-28 at 21:25
Old 2010-06-28, 21:47   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
You should be able to get it assigned to you so you can report the results
You mean, "... so you can get credit for the result", I think.

dominicanpapi82 can always report the result, regardless of assignment.

Quote:
I'm actually 25% of the way through this assignment. I'm almost surely going to finish before this person.
... setting up a classic GIMPS tragedy (* sigh *) where the holder of a re-assignment has the prospective first-time LL "demoted", while in progress, to a double-check when the original assignee checks in first.

(The mirror-image version has the actual assignee "scooped" by a poacher with a faster system.

Which ancient Greek playwright first explored these dramatic possibilities?)

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-06-28 at 21:50
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 22:30   #7
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52·17 Posts

Quote:
Wow, I just noticed the line:

I'm actually 25% of the way through this assignment. I'm almost surely going to finish before this person. Is it possible to contact the person and let them know?
I think you should abort this run and start a new one. It's not yours any more.

Last fiddled with by lfm on 2010-06-28 at 22:32
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 22:36   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm View Post
I think you should abort this run and start a new one. It's not yours any more.
Well, if he's already 25% of the way through, why throw all that out? Even though there will be overlap between his test and the current assignee's, whichever one is reported second will simply count as the doublecheck--so nothing goes to waste. Sure, the OP won't get credit for his test, but IMHO it's more important to maximize overall efficiency of operation than to maximize personal credit (which is just a number, after all).
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 22:39   #9
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Well, if he's already 25% of the way through, why throw all that out? Even though there will be overlap between his test and the current assignee's, whichever one is reported second will simply count as the doublecheck--so nothing goes to waste. Sure, the OP won't get credit for his test, but IMHO it's more important to maximize overall efficiency of operation than to maximize personal credit (which is just a number, after all).
Because he would be forceing the other person to waste even more time. I am assuming they are mainly interested in the prize (kinda silly maybe but its the way things are).m If by some weird chance it is prime he will have stolen the prize from the oother guy.

If he really wants to run a doubole check he should wait till the first time result is in and get it assigned to him properly as a double check.

Last fiddled with by lfm on 2010-06-28 at 22:41
Old 2010-06-28, 22:52   #10
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
As for wasting his old 25%, he did that when he quit for 6 months or more and allowed it to be reassigned. We can't just wait forever for these guys to get back around to us. When you quit you should accept the consequences. If the project as a whole has to accept a little wasted capacity, that's nothing special either.

Actually I expect the point will be mute, if he dropped out once before he probably will again without completing any result.
Old 2010-06-28, 22:54   #11
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm View Post
Because he would be forceing the other person to waste even more time. I am assuming they are mainly interested in the prize (kinda silly maybe but its the way things are).m If by some weird chance it is prime he will have stolen the prize from the oother guy.

If he really wants to run a doubole check he should wait till the first time result is in and get it assigned to him properly as a double check.
Right, I see what you mean. I guess it depends on what one considers a "waste": someone mainly interested in the prize money probably would see a doublecheck as mostly a waste for him personally. I wonder if it's possible to reserve the exponent specifically as a doublecheck with the manual assignment page without having to wait for the currently assigned test to complete first? It's been done before, such as with StarQwest's 100M test on which doublechecking began while the first test was still in progress, IIRC. (Then again, that was before Primenet v5, so that may be entirely moot now.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote