Old 2021-07-29, 15:12   #23
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
I'd keep the social structure mostly the same, but would introduce modern knowledge like germ theory and the steam engine: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-the-knowledge

With that advantage, I'd have a reasonable shot at conquering a few continents in 30 years or so.
The old dream ... it has been used in countless tales... But technology needs the society that made it possible, just importing it from nowhere (the future ?) will not work in the long term.

Strange that you would'nt change the social structure (slavery, exploitation, abuse of others countries, ...)

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 15:36   #24
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

29416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
The old dream ... it has been used in countless tales... But technology needs the society that made it possible, just importing it from nowhere (the future ?) will not work in the long term.

Strange that you would'nt change the social structure (slavery, exploitation, abuse of others countries, ...)

Jacob
I'm no fan of slavery, but you'd run the risk of getting overthrown or executed if you implemented dramatic changes. Free the slaves, and you'll have a whole bunch of pissed off ex-slave owners that'll be out to get you.

Introducing new technology makes things easier. You're more likely to hold onto power if you improve your citizens' standard of living, and the social changes would follow (obtain gold from the conquered lands, free the slaves, and give the gold to the ex-slaveholders as compensation)
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 15:43   #25
Dobri

May 2018

23410 Posts

In matters of importance, the opinion of Clerk3 could be decisive.
Dobri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 15:44   #26
chris2be8

Sep 2009

22·32·61 Posts

You should plan to use more appropriate technology. Eg 50 men who know how to ride horses as well as use modern guns, and at least some of them able to speak Latin. Turn up with suitable guns to penetrate the armour they might face (eg 7.62 mm old NATO standard rifles) and at least 1000 rounds per gun. Either bring horses or plan to "acquire" them from the local population. That way you won't run out of fuel before you reach your destination (food for men and horses can be "acquired" locally). And have a few demolition changes to blast open the gates to Rome if necessary.

You might actually do better to travel back to the end of the American Civil War and pick up about 500 ex soldiers from then (and a few blacksmiths etc). They would be able to manufacture more guns and ammunition as needed which would make it easier to keep control once you have taken over the empire.

Once in control introduce new technology as you want. Start with printing with movable type (that is why Europe dominates the world).

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 16:29   #27
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×5×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
You should plan to use more appropriate technology. Eg 50 men who know how to ride horses as well as use modern guns, and at least some of them able to speak Latin. Turn up with suitable guns to penetrate the armour they might face (eg 7.62 mm old NATO standard rifles) and at least 1000 rounds per gun. Either bring horses or plan to "acquire" them from the local population. That way you won't run out of fuel before you reach your destination (food for men and horses can be "acquired" locally). And have a few demolition changes to blast open the gates to Rome if necessary.
The typical American neighborhood won't have demolition charges, so you can't bring those back. But bringing back horses and horseback riders (you'd still be limited to 50 men) would be OK. Latin speakers are rare, so I'll only allow one Latin speaker in that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Understaffed and under-supplied. One to one vehicle to person ratio is foolish. (Everyone is busy driving or flying. So no one available for defense of the vehicle or occupant.) So is the absence of mention of backup weapons.
I'll allow a .357 Magnum (also with 100 rounds of ammunition) as an additional/backup weapon for each person.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 16:38   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

73×151 Posts

Quote:
I'd keep the social structure mostly the same.
Ah, so you do believe in autocracy and not democracy.

I knew we would get an answer in the end.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-07-29 at 16:38
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 16:40   #29
Bottom Quark

Dec 2010

23×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
As another poster said : FUEL. Your helicopters and ground vehicles in northern France will stay there because in your conditions you did not include the intendancy.
Couldn't you use horses (and/or any other animals or people) to tow those vehicles until they're within striking distance of Rome?
Bottom Quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 16:49   #30
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

630010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Quark View Post
Couldn't you use horses (and/or any other animals or people) to tow those vehicles until they're within striking distance of Rome?
I think you misunderstand the roads of ancient Rome and their ability to be used by modern vehicles. You won't get very far no matter how many "naive locals" you could trick into helping you.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 17:22   #31
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

19·311 Posts

Quote:
The typical American neighborhood won't have demolition charges, so you can't bring those back. Latin speakers are rare.
I'll allow a .357 Magnum (also with 100 rounds of ammunition) as an additional/backup weapon for each person.
Depends on the neighborhood. My father used dynamite on the farm to remove an old silo foundation.
Within an hour's drive in several directions there are places to buy black powder or nitrocellulose by the pound container.

Most older Catholics knew and may remember some Latin. My sister studied it, and taught me some, beyond Latin masses. Plus we learned the Roman numbers in grade school. (~MCMLXV)

Again with the undersupplying. A single metal ammo box will hold several hundred rounds of .357 or 9mm or .45 still in retail packaging, or over 1000 in some calibers in loose bulk. The qualified personnel will mostly want handguns & handgun ammo of caliber that begins with a 4, and reloads at 10 or more rounds per mag in a second or two. One-handed if need be.

Re Roman road widths, "actual widths have been measured at between 3.6 feet (1.1 metres) and more than 23 feet (7.0 metres)." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...nd_terminology
Grade: "Gradients of 10%–12% are known in ordinary terrain, 15%–20% in mountainous country."
Compare to 6% max on the US Interstate system; 12 feet/lane x 2 lanes/direction plus 4 foot minimum paved shoulder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...hway_standards

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-07-29 at 17:33
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 17:31   #32
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·32·52·7 Posts

As an alternative to all the use of force, violence and generic brute force methods, you could just be patient and wait a few hundred years for the empire to collapse all by itself.

Waiting a few hundred years is easy since all you need to do it change the destination date on the time machine.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-29, 21:02   #33
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

32·269 Posts

Somewhat relevant: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c..._empire_during
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote