mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2021-10-27, 17:22   #89
Aexoden

Jun 2008
Spokane, WA

1112 Posts

I'm getting really inconsistent performance on my Threadripper PRO 3955WX (16 cores) running Windows 10 for Workstations. I've only ever used 30.7 builds on this machine, so I don't have any earlier points of comparison (but will certainly test earlier versions if it would matter).

I'm using one worker with 8 threads. Recently, when doing some double checks, it would bounce between either ~2.1ms/iter or ~2.8ms/iter (with no other processes heavily using CPU). Once it was in a particular range, it wouldn't change during a run, but might change modalities after an auto-benchmark or manually stopping/starting. (Though I haven't seen the faster mode since the most recent boot which included a BIOS update and a Windows update.) If other programs were using the CPU, those would slow incrementally (2.1 to maybe as low as 2.5 and 2.8 to maybe 3.2), but there were two clear patterns. Manually assigning affinities in local.txt did help to some extent as well.

Now, having moved on to a larger PRP test in the 110M range, a throughput test on the same settings suggested ~6.6ms/iter, but the test itself was getting ~8.7ms/iter. After restarting the test after removing my Affinity= line, the test now decreased to ~8.0ms/iter, but either I'm misunderstanding the benchmark or there's still something strange going on.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or can explain what I'm missing, I'd be all ears. Don't seem to have any similar issues on my 3700X or Threadripper 3960X, but both of those machines are running Linux.
Aexoden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 02:12   #90
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

167318 Posts

Build 7 is available. Build 6 does not exist (except for Kruoli).

There is still at least one bug remaining. Running multiple ECM workers can crash with either an out-of-memory event or a restarting with new memory settings event. I've been running for a week under the debugger without any luck. Kruoli has seen one crash in that time.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote