mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2021-06-24, 13:35   #1
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

26×7 Posts
Default PRP testing on 8 GB Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (latest as I write)

Is there anyone doing PRP testing on the 8 GB version of Raspberry Pi 4 Model B? As I write this is the latest. I was looking at assembling something with

* 8 GB Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
* Solar panel
* 12 V Lead acid battery
* Electronics for charging battery
* Electronics for dropping battery volts down to the 5 V needed Raspberry Pi 4 Model B needs
* WiFi to connect to home network
* Keep system outside the property.
* Perform first- time PRP tests.

I'm wondering what could be achieved in the way of PRP tests, and what cooling problems/solutions there might be suitable for the UK (latitude around 51 deg N, longitude around 0 deg).

I was speaking to a friend who removed the stick-on heatsink, clearing off the self-adhesive pad, adding a pin head of thermal grease, then using silicon sealer to attached the heatsink. That dropped the heatsink temperature by 10 deg C. However, he is not running really CPU intensive tasks.

Given the power of these latest Pi computers, they might be suitable, or maybe it would just be money wasted, and not achieve much. I would not expect them to work as well as my 52-core workstation, but I'm wondering what performance could be achieved.
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 13:49   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5·787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
Is there anyone doing PRP testing on the 8 GB version of Raspberry Pi 4 Model B?.................

but I'm wondering what performance could be achieved.
I am testing on a similar Odroid a73 chip. It takes over six months per test with mlucas -- no certifications yet.

I doubt you'll see enough UK sunlight to power it flat out all year round.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 14:08   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

1012110 Posts

There is a handy search function. Use that. And why do we need to know that you are putting the thing off your property, but within WiFi range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Herr Dr. Kirkby.png
Views:	57
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	25184  
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 14:23   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

Quote:
That dropped the heatsink temperature by 10 deg C.
So it was a failure then. The heatsink should be taking all the heat. But with that result the heat is staying in the chip, and leaving the heatsink colder.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 14:44   #5
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

1110000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
So it was a failure then. The heatsink should be taking all the heat. But with that result the heat is staying in the chip, and leaving the heatsink colder.
Oops my bad wording. The temperature of the CPU dropped by 10 deg C, as indicated by the sensor(s) on the CPU.
Old 2021-06-24, 14:56   #6
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

26·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There is a handy search function. Use that. And why do we need to know that you are putting the thing off your property, but within WiFi range.
I did a search, and could not find anything relevant to the latest model with 8 GB RAM. Plenty of old threads, but not relevant.

By "off my property" what I meant was not to have a mains connection to it, so it would have to be powered by sunlight. Yes, I could have worded it better.
Old 2021-06-24, 15:09   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

29·349 Posts

Quote:
I did a search, and could not find anything relevant to the latest model with 8 GB RAM. Plenty of old threads, but not relevant.
How is yours significantly different than this one? https://www.mersenneforum.org/showth...rry#post569708 or this one: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showth...rry#post552626

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2021-06-24 at 15:18
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 17:28   #8
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3·52·79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
He's been asked or told, many times, nicely at first, more bluntly later, and shows little or no intention or willingness to use existing threads. Some more forceful moderator actions may be needed. As I understand it, in the moderators' quiver, to select from as they see fit, would include:
set his account so post attempts are moderated, for some period of time;
PM or edit to find and use an appropriate existing thread instead of a new thread that fails moderation;
if he persists in undesired behavior, discussion of a possible short ban/moratorium on posting;
closing any new thread he starts without moderation;
consider giving him a blog so much of the dilution could occur there;
merging unnecessary new threads with existing appropriate threads;
short ban in effect;
repeat behavior can earn longer bans;
really incorrigible behavior that's significant can earn permanent bans. (Search for RDS, who was banned repeatedly, and permanently, despite his considerable contribution of number theory knowledge, because of very rude tone.)

We ordinary users have less to work with than moderators' tools, but can carrot-and-stick a bit with:
respond with answers to questions in appropriate existing threads;
objection or no useful responses to questions in unnecessary new threads;
add him to our personal ignore lists.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-06-24 at 17:33
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 17:41   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·23·137 Posts

I'd be much happier if drkirkby would manage to resist the urge to remind us in every post about that 52-core box. It isn't special. It is just a computing box. Other people here also have similar, and/or superior, and/or multiple boxes.

I understand if someone wants to boast about some new thing. But do it once. And then its done. No need to keep telling everyone about it.

IMO
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 19:54   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101011000101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
He's been asked or told, many times, nicely at first, more bluntly later, and shows little or no intention or willingness to use existing threads.
+1

If required, I will apply a LART (in this instance a length of clue-by-four) but hope it doesn't come to that.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 21:10   #11
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2·3·5·29 Posts

If you can source a cheap 100W panel then great, however in mid-winter it may not be able to run a pi even during the day. I don't know if it's down to panel quality or just the nature of the beast, but mid-winter days in the UK often cannot seem to coax a 100W panel to do much at all. There might technically be enough energy for the right bit of kit, but typical bottom of the barrel PV seems to have an activation threshold that some days can't muster.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote