ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

32×269 Posts
Default bin Laden killed in groundstrike

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01...ad-say-sources

Good riddance, Osama. Game, set and match.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 07:44   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

103·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01...ad-say-sources

Good riddance, Osama. Game, set and match.
Game certainly; set possibly; match almost certainly not.

Consider a reversed situation ( i.e. s/s/b/). If Al Quaeda had taken out Obama, would they be able to claim game, set and match and expect to be believed?

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 09:29   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·3·5·109 Posts

The worldwide welcoming of this strike makes no sense to me. What does the death of this man mean precisely? Is there no-one to fill his shoes, or do the other terrorists not understand a concept like revenge?

In my most cynical moments now I'm wondering, probably irrationally but I'm fishing for some sense, whether the timing is designed to show Obama responding to the terrorist threat and reacting to the revenge attack which will take place in the coming months ready for his re-election campaign late in 2012.

I don't really think that, or at least I don't want to.

So what has been achieved by the murder of Bin Laden?
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 10:02   #4
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
The worldwide welcoming of this strike makes no sense to me. What does the death of this man mean precisely? Is there no-one to fill his shoes, or do the other terrorists not understand a concept like revenge?

In my most cynical moments now I'm wondering, probably irrationally but I'm fishing for some sense, whether the timing is designed to show Obama responding to the terrorist threat and reacting to the revenge attack which will take place in the coming months ready for his re-election campaign late in 2012.

I don't really think that, or at least I don't want to.

So what has been achieved by the murder of Bin Laden?
Justice. He was the head of a terrorist attack that killed ~3000 people.

Is this too hard to comprehend?

And your calling it murder is beneath contempt.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 10:20   #5
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23·7·149 Posts

Warning: We do not wish to offend anyone, but if we do, we apologize in advance.

Anytime we hear of anyone being killed it troubles us. Even if they are "bad" people. We believe every human life has (in an overly religious way of saying it) "That of God" inside them.

(This is, to us, a very complicated view and difficult to explain.)

We wonder sometimes why the people who flew the planes did what they did. They were certainly not cowards. Has America's policies and actions contributed to this? Are there other factors? Were they just plain crazy? (Have you all watched "Jesus Camp"?)

They are called terrorists. Many respectable and famous historical figures fall into that category, right?

We do not know anyone who was killed on 9/11. We hope that if we did we would have the moral fortitude to stay the course and not let anger or hate govern our life. Perhaps it is impossible. We hope we never have to find out.

We have seen firsthand some very bad things during our previous life as a combat medic. We are thankful that Uncle Sam provided us with an accelerated path to pacifism.

We do not know how we should feel about this recent news.

We just feel sad.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 11:12   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

103·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Warning: We do not wish to offend anyone, but if we do, we apologize in advance.

Anytime we hear of anyone being killed it troubles us. Even if they are "bad" people. We believe every human life has (in an overly religious way of saying it) "That of God" inside them.

(This is, to us, a very complicated view and difficult to explain.)
Me too.

Quote:
They are called terrorists. Many respectable and famous historical figures fall into that category, right?
True. Harry S Truman may be so described. Winston Churchill is another, as is Menachem Begin. All have civilan deaths on their conscience.

There is frequently little to distinguish between terrorists, freedom fighters and patriots other than one's tribal allegiance.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 11:45   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

3×5×673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
He was the head of a terrorist attack that killed ~3000 people.
And more people than that died because they were too scared to fly afterward.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 11:51   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

3×5×673 Posts

Quote:
This seems appropriate:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor' and 'hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be like your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors do the same, don't they? And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don't they? So then, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-48)

That is one of the hardest things that Christians are called upon to do.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2011-05-02 at 11:52
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 11:56   #9
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:

And those of us who believe that religion and those that follow it are
irrational do not share your unfounded beliefs. (that one has "God" inside;
there is ZERO evidence for the existence of God)

Bin Laden was continuing to lead terrorist efforts. It is not immoral
to kill in self-defense.
Old 2011-05-02, 12:02   #10
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Me too.

True. Harry S Truman may be so described. Winston Churchill is another, as is Menachem Begin. All have civilan deaths on their conscience.
Which by itself does not make one a terrorist.

The days when armies marched to battle and civilians stayed out of harms
way are long gone. In modern history, civilians are every bit as responsible
for war efforts as soldiers. They build the planes, tanks and bombs and
provide the support and infrastructure. They may not be combatents,
but I see this as irrelevant in modern warfare. One who eats meat
can not sneer at the butcher.

Quote:
There is frequently little to distinguish between terrorists, freedom fighters and patriots other than one's tribal allegiance.
One can certainly make the distinction during a declared war.

I agree about Begin. I don't agree about Truman or Churchill.
Old 2011-05-02, 12:14   #11
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Justice. He was the head of a terrorist attack that killed ~3000 people.

Is this too hard to comprehend?

And your calling it murder is beneath contempt.
Another one will come to take his place.
George W. Bush killed more in Iraq.
em99010pepe is offline   Reply With Quote