Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2019-05-07, 21:47   #1
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

9,791 Posts
Default The Right to Repair

I think this issue deserves its own thread - hope I'm not duplicating a similar thread in another subforum.

A Disaster Is Unfolding in Consumer Tech – OneZero: Samsung's Galaxy Fold is just the tip of the iceberg
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 22:53   #2
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

3×7×31 Posts

Typical talking points of the subject include:
  • John Deer farm equipment being locked to be unrepairable by consumers unless you break their DRM
  • Tesla cars being locked in hardware and software under the guise of safety
  • Apple having component manufacturers physically stamping parts for Apple products with an Apple logo meaning that third parties trying to offer a repair service that bypasses Apple care by legitimately buying the same parts direct from the manufacturer falls foul of Trademark law and is grounds to be seized by customs as counterfeit
  • Warranty void if removed stickers being illegal in many countries yet they are still present there
  • The general throwaway culture present in many goods where it's almost or as cheap to buy new instead of repairing. Much of this is due to not easily making parts available that would make repairing a much cheaper option
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 07:39   #3
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

32×7×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I think this issue deserves its own thread - hope I'm not duplicating a similar thread in another subforum.

A Disaster Is Unfolding in Consumer Tech – OneZero: Samsung's Galaxy Fold is just the tip of the iceberg
From the article:
Quote:
Manufacturers typically claim that these measures are implemented for security reasons...
Yes, but it's not the consumer's security they're thinking about.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 09:41   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22×1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yes, but it's not the consumer's security they're thinking about.
It's always the same old excuses given when they are trying to hide their real intention of lock-in and an overpriced secondary market: The "IT'S FOR YOUR SECURITY" lie, so you are then expected to shut up and be happy they are protecting you from terrorists, paedophiles, hackers and stalkers.

The other option is not to buy any of it. That is the option I choose. It is one of the first things on my list of requirements: "Can I see how it works?" If not then no sale.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 10:06   #5
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

144910 Posts

Press article: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ight-to-repair
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 13:34   #6
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·52·71 Posts

Once upon a time, long long ago, I posted here,
Quote:
There seems to be quite a variety of things maliciously designed to make routine maintenance difficult or impossible. Apple designed its computer mouse so it would be very difficult to open it up, clean the dust out of the works, put it back together, and have it work.

I have a 2-cycle weed whacker whose manual recommends cleaning the exhaust port annually -- but you have to have a qualified professional do it! I examined the thing visually, and found the reason why: gaining access to the exhaust port requires removing some screws -- and one of the screws was positioned so that the plastic housing blocked access with a screwdriver. Removing the housing -- and getting it back on and having everything work -- was the hard part. For one thing, the pull cord went through the housing.

In both cases, I went on line, and discovered DIY-ers had posted workarounds.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-25, 18:39   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·32·127 Posts

https://www.wired.com/story/right-to...r-own-devices/

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-05-25 at 20:50 Reason: Removed tracking bits of the URL
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-25, 20:51   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

32·967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Please clean your url's of tracking info before posting.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-25, 21:45   #9
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

230778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I'm sure he would've done so, had that not voided his URL warranty. ;)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-26, 15:55   #10
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

5×883 Posts
Default I too think they make it too hard but I see their side.

I used to work for a Government Telecommunications company that had 4,500 staff and 6,500 PCs. Early on when PCs were becoming more common, each was built as required and handed over with free reign. When errors and failures and viruses overwhelmed support staff and became a security threat something had to change. They went to a process of about a dozen "standard" builds fully locked. On rare occasion you could have Admin rights. The 5% who truly knew what they were doing felt handcuffed and complained. The 50% who thought they knew what they were doing also complained not realizing they were being saved from themselves. The rest didn't care or didn't want to have to manage it.

It was a model that worked.
Support costs and errors dropped dramatically.
PCs behaved consistently.
The software installation process was mostly hands off.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-26, 15:57   #11
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

5×883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I didn't realize they could be identified and removed.
Is there a simple explanation?
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote