mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-08-14, 17:17   #1233
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

135018 Posts

If might be simpler than that. Both Barack Obama and Kamala Harris are black. Maybe the thinking is that they are not eligible because they are not white.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 21:02   #1234
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221068 Posts
Default Trump hates the Postal Service?

Evening all. I've had a very productive day today.

So, based on the data streams, your Commander in Chief doesn't like the Postal Service because they:

1. Allowed someone who insulted him once to build a huge business.

2. Will allow mail-in-ballots (for safety reasons during CV19).

Am I understanding this correctly?

IMHO (respectfully), if shopped as a sci-fi novel this wouldn't even be seriously considered because the characters are too stupid to be believable.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 21:16   #1235
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

22×192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
IMHO (respectfully), if shopped as a sci-fi novel this wouldn't even be seriously considered because the characters are too stupid to be believable.
Characters too stupid to be believable is probably a defining characteristic of authoritarian states.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 21:19   #1236
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
Characters too stupid to be believable is probably a defining characteristic of authoritarian states.
Putin isn't stupid. Nor is Xi.

They both listen to their advisors, rather than immediately making their own "gut" decisions.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2020-08-14 at 21:20 Reason: s/Jinping/Xi/; # I often get that wrong. West, east, left, right...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 21:45   #1237
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

264216 Posts

BTW, the "original act of sabotage", if you will, of the USPS, happened in 2006, and like most truly toxic acts of US government, was bipartisan:

How Congress Manufactured a Postal Crisis — And How to Fix it - Institute for Policy Studies
Quote:
In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.

If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements, the Post Office would have reported operating profits in each of the last six years. This extraordinary mandate created a financial “crisis” that has been used to justify harmful service cuts and even calls for postal privatization. Additional cuts in service and privatization would be devastating for millions of postal workers and customers.

In its December 2018 report, President Trump’s Task Force on the United States Postal Service reaffirmed current rules related to postal retiree health benefits, calling it “part of a mandate for postal self-sustainability.” However, the Task Force also recognized that the aggressive and accelerated timetable for funding the mandate has proved unworkable. They call for past deficits to be “restructured with the payments re-amortized with new actuarial calculation based on the population of employees at or near retirement age.”

While this would have a modest positive effect by spreading payments over a longer period of time, it does little to address the underlying problem caused by USPS being burdened with a mandate that no other federal agency or private corporation faces...
Dianne Feinstein's hubby, RE developer Richard Blum, has made a shit-ton of money from long-running post-office privatization scammery, to cite another example of "reaching across the aisle to rob the American taxpayer."

Trump's latest outrage is just him doing what Rs are masters at, voter suppression - and in fact, this may just be Trump engaging in one of his regular bits of gaslighting (both of the 1940s noir films are great, BTW, though I prefer the 1940 one). Actually, I should amend that - Ds are also masters of voter suppression, but their preferred means is to nominate horribly uninspiring candidates for office, as well as other means.

Spotted on the web: "Dems, aghast at Trump's assault on USPS, go on August vacation."

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-08-14 at 22:18 Reason: Added 'gaslight' links
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 01:12   #1238
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,193 Posts

I just received my official vote by mail application from the County Clerk. (I can also apply on line to vote by mail.)

Some places have been doing voting by mail for some time, and have an alternative to mailing in the marked ballots: drop-off locations where they can be placed in metal bins. One obvious location is outside the County Clerk's office. There can be additional drop-off locations.

In any case, there should IMO be a way for mailed-out ballots which have been marked and sealed, to be brought directly to the County Clerk's office.

People have traditionally organized transportation to get eligible voters to the polls, who would otherwise not be able to get there. If Il Duce and the R's want to play games with the USPS to prevent ballots from being returned by mail in a timely fashion, I think an appropriate response would be to organize transportation to pick up peoples' marked ballots and get them to the County Clerk's office in time to be counted.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 02:21   #1239
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

270716 Posts

Quote:
organize transportation to pick up peoples' marked ballots and get them to the County Clerk's office in time to be counted.
GASP!!! BALLOT HARVESTING!!!!! Who knows what evil perversions might be imposed on those poor, innocent ballots. Those ballots Might even be rescued from rotting in one of the only 5 postal drop boxes left in the country, and get delivered to the Board of Elections!
EDIT: I just remembered what I initially came here for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chinga.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	23082  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-08-15 at 06:23
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 11:05   #1240
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

357910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
BTW, the "original act of sabotage", if you will, of the USPS, happened in 2006, and like most truly toxic acts of US government, was bipartisan:

How Congress Manufactured a Postal Crisis — And How to Fix it - Institute for Policy Studies
Quote:
In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.
Right on the head.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 00:30   #1241
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·59·83 Posts

Candidate Profile: Democratic VP Nominee Kamala Harris

I would add: current SecTreas Steve Munchkin Mnuchin (I can never get that spelling right with just 1 try, and I confess I've no clue how to pronounce the latter, correct spelling of the name without making a Mr. Bean-style twisty-nose face) is a big fan ... so there would be the opportunity for some continuity-of-crookery at that vital-for-representing-Ponzi-finance's-interests cabinet post. To be fair, though, it is quite possible that she simply had her hands full prosecuting that much more socially destructive class of criminal, school truants. (Cf. #26 in the list linked below).

Also a bit disappointed that Politico placed what it perhaps her most important political-career move way down at #14 in their 55 Things You Need T Know About Kamala Harris, namely that she slept her way into high state office with CA political mover, shaker and kingmaker, 30-years older Willie Brown. One of my brother-in-law's contractor buddies used to moonlight as a limo driver for Willie, and boy does he have some stories about that gig, including a particular "ditch the bitch" incident (Willie's words, not mine) one night from the years of the aforementioned hooking-up.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-08-17 at 00:31
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 01:29   #1242
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

22018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Candidate Profile: Democratic VP Nominee Kamala Harris
Also a bit disappointed that Politico placed what it perhaps her most important political-career move way down at #14 in their 55 Things You Need T Know About Kamala Harris, namely that she slept her way into high state office with CA political mover, shaker and kingmaker, 30-years older Willie Brown. One of my brother-in-law's contractor buddies used to moonlight as a limo driver for Willie, and boy does he have some stories about that gig, including a particular "ditch the bitch" incident (Willie's words, not mine) one night from the years of the aforementioned hooking-up.
I have a story of my own. In 1995 I attended a dinner in a private dining room at the North Beach Restaurant in San Francisco with our company's labor attorney. After a visit to the restroom, I turned left instead of right into the wrong private room, and walked in on Willie and Kamala making out. She was dressed to the nines and I apologized profusely, but I saw how she was making her way up the political ladder.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 01:33   #1243
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·1,249 Posts

Would you like her for 4 (or 8) years or 4 more years of the DT's.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote