Old 2020-05-16, 21:24   #1178
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Whenevr I see interviews where Mrs. Biden seems to be physically supporting Joe I think of ventriloquist Edgar Bergen and his puppet Charlie McCarthy - Joe simply should not be allowed to speak without a firm hand-up-the-back from Jill.
And this is the presumed Democratic presidential candidate!

It seems that many Americans will once again will vote for short term goals (re stock market) instead of long term goals (environment). It seems that the only way for Trump to lose is for the stock market to crash. His supporters certainly don't seem to care about his lies, his avoidance of any responsibility, his dictatorial nature, or his desire to not be help accountable to anyone.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-16, 23:55   #1179
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

22·31·79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
And this is the presumed Democratic presidential candidate!

It seems that many Americans will once again will vote for short term goals (re stock market) instead of long term goals (environment). It seems that the only way for Trump to lose is for the stock market to crash. His supporters certainly don't seem to care about his lies, his avoidance of any responsibility, his dictatorial nature, or his desire to not be help accountable to anyone.
And the DNC seems intent on doing everything in its power to help him win re-election ... they would rather lose with a horrid brain-addled establishment crook and neoliberal warmonger like Biden than let anyone with a shred of a progressive tendency near the nomination. So our not-really-a-choice is once again between Horrowshow #1 or Horrowshow #2. At this point it's beyond clear that the corrupt party duopoly must be smashed for there to be a glimmer of hope for the nation. None of this vote-for-the-lesser-evil phoney-choice BS.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-05-16 at 23:55
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-18, 23:30   #1180
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,667 Posts
Default Class Traitors, Welcome to the Revolution

The title is original, at least in the In These Times publication.

"Many liberal professionals who supported Elizabeth Warren took their votes to Joe Biden, not Bernie Sanders. But they may still join a future left electoral coalition if they can face their own precarity."
http://inthesetimes.com/article/2250...sanders-warren
Quote:
This is a response to Zeeshan Aleem's piece, “To Win Elections, Should the Left Be Nicer on the Internet?”, and part of a roundtable on lessons from the 2020 primaries.
The 2020 Democratic primary breathed momentary life back into the promise of political alternatives for working people. Once again, that promise has been snuffed out.

For progressives and leftists, now is the time for tough questions, one of the most critical and enduring of which will be: What genuine barriers to building a winning coalition emerged from this race and what, in retrospect, was just manufactured noise designed to divide us? How much substance is there, for instance, to the charge that a “toxic” online culture cultivated by an ill-defined contingent of Bernie Sanders supporters on social media platforms constituted a serious (and statistically relevant) impediment to building such a coalition?

Depends on whom you ask.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 06:18   #1181
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111000100102 Posts
Default ‘Let Them Have Eric,’ Screams Trump While Pushing Son Through Door Of Bunker

https://www.theonion.com/let-them-ha...n-t-1843831345
Quote:
WASHINGTON—In an effort to placate the protesters gathered outside, President Donald Trump reportedly screamed, “Let them have Eric!” Monday as he pushed his son through the door of a White House bunker. “Please, you can take Eric, just leave me alone,”
Old 2020-06-09, 04:19   #1182
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

271216 Posts
Default Putin Rejects Trump's Request for Ten Thousand Russian Troops to Guard White House

https://readersupportednews.org/opin...rd-white-house
“The optics would be terrible,” Putin reportedly told him.
Old 2020-06-09, 05:03   #1183
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

887610 Posts

Haha, you guys... I didn't visit The Onion nor BR for a while, it seems I missed a lot

However, be careful what you wish for! You may be granted...

As I posted recently in a parallel thread, don't you have miners there?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-17, 02:14   #1184
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Trump proposes Supremer Court
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-17, 03:21   #1185
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Hilarious, but unfortunately not too far from the Cheeto's way of "thinking."
Old 2020-06-17, 20:36   #1186
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1000210 Posts
Default Trump news – live: President accused of asking China to help him win re-election

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9571716.html
Quote:
Donald Trump has been accused of asking China President Xi Jinping to help with his re-election efforts by purchasing more US farm products, the president's former national security adviser John Bolton claimed in his new book.
See more here:

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-06-17 at 21:20
Old 2020-06-19, 19:59   #1187
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

979610 Posts

I would take anything the Bomb Walrus says with a yuuuuuuuuuge grain of salt ... And encouraging trade because it would help one's economy, and a good economy would help one in a re-election campaign, so what? This is allegedly illegal or unethical now? Gah, Bolton - what a mass-murderous establishment creep. By way of further reading re. Bolton's new autohagiography, Moon of Alabama had a new post in last few days titled "Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi", a phrase which rolls nicely off the tongue, with an interesting origin.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 00:03   #1188
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I would take anything the Bomb Walrus says with a yuuuuuuuuuge grain of salt ... And encouraging trade because it would help one's economy, and a good economy would help one in a re-election campaign, so what? This is allegedly illegal or unethical now? Gah, Bolton - what a mass-murderous establishment creep. By way of further reading re. Bolton's new autohagiography, Moon of Alabama had a new post in last few days titled "Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi", a phrase which rolls nicely off the tongue, with an interesting origin.
As someone said in another online venue, "I am happy to watch the hyenas tear each other to pieces." Bolton is part of the gang who is now cashing in. Getting his scenario out before some of the others' increases his take..