mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-01-13, 15:26   #56
TommyJ
 
"Tom Johnson"
Dec 2020
United Kingdom

11 Posts
Default financial

Hmm, your reasoning that there were often miscalculations with finances reminded me that we live in a capitalist world. And now there are very few fans who can afford a project that will never pay off. Projects like Arecibo are now only needed for enthusiasts and scientists. Anything that doesn't pay off will be rejected. Unless there will be some politics in this again.
TommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 16:08   #57
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

10,501 Posts
Default

Its not just finances.

In every project which is non-trivial (and many trivial ones too) the first 80% of the work takes 20% of the time. The final 20% of the work takes the remaining 80% of the time.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 16:14   #58
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

29·317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
Projects like Arecibo are now only needed for enthusiasts and scientists.
There are good reasons to have site(s) like Arecibo for national and international interests for financial reasons. Having the ability to use radar to better fix the position of potentially hazardous asteroids. PHAs can have a high financial impact on the world. And since their exact position (down to errors of less than 10 km) is important to know their future course, and thus potential impact on earth, it is a wise investment to get accurate data, so that action can be taken to avoid impacts.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 16:24   #59
Nick
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2·7·113 Posts
Default

Such dishes also get used for tracking satellites - both your own and other people's.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 17:14   #60
TommyJ
 
"Tom Johnson"
Dec 2020
United Kingdom

11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There are good reasons to have site(s) like Arecibo for national and international interests for financial reasons. Having the ability to use radar to better fix the position of potentially hazardous asteroids. PHAs can have a high financial impact on the world. And since their exact position (down to errors of less than 10 km) is important to know their future course, and thus potential impact on earth, it is a wise investment to get accurate data, so that action can be taken to avoid impacts.
As I understand it, you are talking about telescopes like WISE. Most of which are still located in space. I understand the benefits of a radio telescope.
Yet the placement of such an object on Earth makes it somewhat limited in the search for something that is approaching the planet.
There don't seem to be many benefits.
TommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 17:22   #61
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

217518 Posts
Default

Arecibo had RADAR capability. That gives a range to the PHA. That helps to fix the orbit far more accurately than imaging can. WISE, the B612 planned craft, and even the big optical surveys coming are great for finding things. But to get the orbit dialed in, (and also the size), RADAR is best.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 05:57.

Tue Jan 19 05:57:29 UTC 2021 up 47 days, 2:08, 0 users, load averages: 1.52, 1.36, 1.30

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.