Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2005-05-06, 14:07   #1
T.Rex

Feb 2004
France

2·457 Posts
Default LLT numbers, linkd with Mersenne and Fermat numbers

Hi,
I've derived from the Lucas-Lehmer Test a new (??) kind of numbers, that I called LLT numbers. They are described in this short (2.5 pages) paper: LLT numbers .
These numbers show interesting numerical relationships with Mersenne and Fermat prime numbers, without any proof yet.

First, I'm surprised it is so easy to create such a kind of numbers that have so close relationships with Mersenne and Fermat numbers. Is there a law saying that playing with prime (Fermat and Mersenne) numbers always lead to nice properties ?

Second, these numbers may provide interesting primality tests for Fermat and Mersenne numbers (once the properties are proven ...); though they clearly do not improve existing LLT and P├ępin's tests .

Does someone have hints for proving these properties ?

Regards,

Tony
T.Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-06, 16:33   #2
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

watch out for scathing replies, you're definitely abusing terminology here.
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-06, 19:42   #3
T.Rex

Feb 2004
France

2·457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT
watch out for scathing replies, you're definitely abusing terminology here.
Hi TravisT, what's wrong with my paper ? I'm playing with numbers. I did not say I've discovered a magic new method for proving primality of any number. I've just defined and studied the numerical properties of a kind of numbers and noticed some interesting possible properties that need proofs. Can you help me fixing the terminology problems you've noticed ? Can you help providing proofs ?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 2005-05-06, 20:51   #4
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Rex
Hi TravisT, what's wrong with my paper ? I'm playing with numbers. I did not say I've discovered a magic new method for proving primality of any number. I've just defined and studied the numerical properties of a kind of numbers and noticed some interesting possible properties that need proofs. Can you help me fixing the terminology problems you've noticed ? Can you help providing proofs ?
Thanks,
Tony
taking the "coefficients" of a "function" seems to be a meaningless statement and caught me off guard when I read it. You're taking the coefficients of the polynomials. Since you're never using L as a function, why word it such? In other words, you're never passing a value to L.

I would talk about a set of polynomials Pn where P0 = x and Pn = Pn-12-2 where n > 0, I'm no expert, so I may be abusing notation as well.

I haven't had time to look at more than a few of the conjectures you've posed, the first few seem like they can be proven (or disproven) without too much effort
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-07, 08:25   #5
T.Rex

Feb 2004
France

2×457 Posts
Default Function vs Polynomial

You are perfectly right: I should use polynomial rather than function !
I've fixed the mistakes and produced a new version .
Seems polynomial x^2-3 has also interesting properties.

So, is there a miracle ? or are these properties an evident consequence of some well-known theorem I'm not aware of ?

Thanks for your comments !

Tony

Last fiddled with by T.Rex on 2005-05-07 at 08:25