mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math > Number Theory Discussion Group

Old 2017-07-10, 02:54   #1
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·2,969 Posts
Default Is CEMPLLA 1.5 "the only software in the world capable of discovering" something? Not really.

An excerpt from the announcement CEMPLLA version 1.5 has been Released:
Quote:
CEMPLLA is very easy to use, and is currently the only software in the world capable of discovering the first one billion decimal digit prime number. And it's one of only two in the world capable of discovering the first one hundred million decimal digit prime number.
Also, has anyone compared the speed of this program against others, GPU or otherwise?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 03:09   #2
axn

Jun 2003

10010101001112 Posts

Do we give a shit? Isn't it up to the author to provide evidence that this is something worth discussing? I don't see nothing that improves my opinion about this vaporware compared to the previous incarnation.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 04:12   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

715810 Posts

AFAIK, Ernst's Mlucas as long been able to test 1 billion digit numbers.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 05:36   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11·19·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
AFAIK, Ernst's Mlucas as long been able to test 1 billion digit numbers.
And I'm sure you could've easily fiddled your FFT control logic in prime95 long ago to enable gigadigit-number testing, had there been a glimmer of a good reason to do so.

As for my own stuff, thanks to a generous grant of CPU cycles from David Stanfill I am rapidly finishing my parallel (both in the multithreaded and the 2-side-by-side-runs-using-independent-FFT-data) Pepin tests of the known composite F29; the 30M-FFT run on 32 cores of an AVX2 Xeon is getting ~23ms/iter, the 32M-FFT run on all 64 cores of our crowdsourced KNL is ~35ms/iter, which reflects that even at this large FFT length it is hard to get really good || scaling for 64 threads. (The good news on the KNL is that the larger Fermat numbers will get ever-better || scalings, helping to mitigate the increasing out-of-cache-ness of the datasets for same.)

If David is game, once F29 finishes I shall propose to begin side-by-side runs of he also-known-composite F30, which I believe will be the first gigabit primality test. The same code can of course also be used for LL tests, with perhaps a 10% runtime hit due to the real/complex FFT-wrapper steps needed for the Mersenne-mod-IBDWT's real-signal transform requirement. (My underlying FFT implementation is for complex data.)

Which begs the question: George, what are the largest exponents ever subjected to [a] one complete LL-test, and [b] a pair of matching-results LL tests?

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2017-07-10 at 05:37
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 06:18   #5
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

5·1,831 Posts
Thumbs down

Don't forget to re-read the old thread and the NVIDIA old thread.

I just recently heard that Bolshoi Theater cancelled the almost ready-to-go new ballet about life and work of Rudolf Nureyev. Some people naively think that formally it was because (thought it is a ballet) it was expected to have some dialogs which (true to life!) had a solid fraction of Russian obscene language (Nureyev was known to use it profusely).

Long story short, I think I am with axn (and Nureyev) on the subject of this thread - who gives a about the Billy Rubin's claims? We know their worth. Read my lips: Dunning-Kruger.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 08:10   #6
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

134628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Which begs the question: George, what are the largest exponents ever subjected to [a] one complete LL-test, and [b] a pair of matching-results LL tests?
Good questions!
Old 2017-07-10, 09:01   #7
GP2

Sep 2003

29×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Good questions!
But it's easy to answer those questions. I guess the exact answer depends on whether you accept the self-verified results by Never Odd Or Even.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 09:11   #8
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
But it's easy to answer those questions. I guess the exact answer depends on whether you accept the self-verified results by Never Odd Or Even.
That's some serious dedication to get the steganographic writing going there (for a loose definition of steganography)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 13:08   #9
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

73038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
That's some serious dedication to get the steganographic writing going there (for a loose definition of steganography)
BTW, "The trick is not minding that it hurts" is attributed to Lawrence of Arabia.

The following is sourced to All the President's Men, quoting "Deep Throat":
Quote:
I was at a party once, and, uh, Liddy put his hand over a candle, and he kept it there. He kept it right in the flame until his flesh was burned. Somebody said, “What’s the trick?” And Liddy said, “The trick is not minding.”
(looks at announcement) "Easy to use." Hmm.
Quote:
CEMPLLA works exclusively with NVidia brand GPU equipment to achieve its goals, so you must have at least one NVidia brand GPU installed on your machine(s) to use the software. However, because the goal of the CEMPLLA system is so computationally intensive, as a general rule you should have more than just one GPU board installed on your system to get any meaningful results.
Oh, darn. Don't have any of those.
Quote:
Also, it only runs on Microsoft Windows 64-bit operating systems.
Oh, double darn!

Speaking of :
Wikipedia article
Quote:
Bilirubin is excreted in bile and urine, and elevated levels may indicate certain diseases. It is responsible for the yellow color of bruises and the yellow discoloration in jaundice. Its subsequent breakdown products, such as stercobilin, cause the brown color of faeces. A different breakdown product, urobilin, is the main component of the straw-yellow color in urine.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 15:26   #10
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
I figured that the largest would probably have been done differently from the others and might not have appeared on the list as a result. I thought it was worth asking those in the know.
Old 2017-07-11, 04:23   #11
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I wanted to run independent checks, but the "stock" version of Prime95 couldn't do it. I think George had provided a test build with more FFT sizes.

v29.x has larger FFT sizes, right? Maybe I could do one now and totally throw off the clever computer naming... if I even get the chance. The place I work is moving our stuff to the cloud so my days of having actual, physical boxen to work with are doomed. :(
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote