Old 2017-12-21, 09:52   #1
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

112528 Posts
Default NFS@Home 2018 Goals

Hi all,

Apologies for starting another thread but I think NFS@Home reached a point where it needs to give more to the end users and effort coordination. This is what I’ve came up so far and please be comfortable to give your opinion.

1) NFS@Home needs to update the application memory settings since 14e application at 33 bits can easily use close to 1GB of memory when it is stated on the preferences it only uses 500MB.

2) Project needs to issue more news with regards to 16e integers being on post-processing stage.

3) 16e status page should be more often updated ( add a column for post-processing) since sometimes Sam’s page is not up to date. Sometimes a integer is already being sieved whilst people are running ecm.

4) Looks like the limitation right now is on the post-processing stage so is there a way we can donate or create a fund to build a dual Xeon machine so it can be dedicated to support on post-processing (for 15e and 16e applications). I don’t mind hosting and paying for the machine electricity and give access to members.

5) Contact yoyo to understand if it is feasible to have his support on ecm

6) Get from Sam a list of ecm effort to the Cuningham integers so there is no overlapping between ecm and sieve.

7) Increase 16e wus length by 33% or 50% to reduce server lagging but only Greg can say to us if the server is handling well the increase of CPU power which I expect it will increase more next year.

I understand we all are busy with real life but if we can manage to help Greg it is much appreciated.

Carlos

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2017-12-21 at 09:53
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-21, 11:59   #2
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2×2,389 Posts

8) Progress bar for 16e application
Old 2017-12-21, 13:19   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

19·547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
6) Get from Sam a list of ecm effort to the Cuningham integers so there is no overlapping between ecm and sieve.
Already addressed in your other thread.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-21, 13:27   #4
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Already addressed in your other thread.
I know and thank you for your reply. That means this is sorted out. Its just a matter of Sam updating more often who is sieving what. This follows the fact that NFS@Home is almost finishing sieving 11,292+ and I don’t see it reserved.

Also I know Silverman is doing ECM (B1 = 3 x 10^9) on the first 5 holes and I don’t want to see any wasted time on integers that are already on sieving.

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2017-12-21 at 13:34
Old 2017-12-22, 07:11   #5
frmky

Jul 2003
So Cal

80416 Posts

Quote:
Its just a matter of Sam updating more often who is sieving what. This follows the fact that NFS@Home is almost finishing sieving 11,292+ and I don’t see it reserved.
That's not Sam's fault. It's mine. I've been very busy with finals, grading, and a nasty cold. So I just quickly threw another number into the queue without letting anyone know.

And the postprocessing status is up to date. We just have a bunch of relations sitting on the server waiting. I plan to run through them rather quickly after Christmas.

Last fiddled with by frmky on 2017-12-22 at 07:13
frmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 07:31   #6
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·4,591 Posts
Lightbulb The science behind “man flu” (BMJ, Dec 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmky View Post
...and a nasty cold.
You are gonna love this highly scientific article then (I just read it for our journal club):
http://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ
Kyle Sue explores whether men are wimps or just immunologically inferior

“Man flu” is a term so ubiquitous that it has been included in the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries. Oxford defines it as “a cold or similar minor ailment as experienced by a man who is regarded as exaggerating the severity of the symptoms.” Since about half of the world’s population is male, deeming male viral respiratory symptoms as “exaggerated” without rigorous scientific evidence, could have important implications for men, including insufficient provision of care.

...The sex differences extend to other respiratory infections beyond influenza. In many acute respiratory diseases, males are more susceptible to complications and exhibit a higher mortality.[22] Wyke and colleagues surveyed men and women consulting general practitioners for common symptoms of minor infectious respiratory illness, finding that “women were significantly more likely to report cutting down activities in response to only one symptom in each cohort.”[23] This contradicts the common myth that men cut down activities more than women by exaggerating the severity of symptoms.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 07:34   #7
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

12AA16 Posts

Hope you feel better soon. In th meantime looks like you need to throw at least more 2-3 numbers into queueuing.

Is there away we can support you so you can spend less time babysitting NFS@Home? Can we help you updating anything?
Old 2017-12-22, 08:06   #8
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·2,389 Posts

Batalov, one thing is sure, my wife is more pain tolerant than I am so I’m always doomed even if I keep having my muscle pain which my GP already confirmed that It is going to take me awhile to heal.

On the other side at work women are always taking the day off claiming they have migraines.
Old 2017-12-22, 17:44   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

19·547 Posts

Quote:
On the other side at work women are always taking the day off claiming they have migraines.
On the other hand, SWMBO hardly ever has any kind of headache whereas I suffer badly from migraine.

On the gripping hand, SWMBO turns grey at the sight of blood, hers or others, (despite having worked for years as a nurse, including in emergency situations) but my response to wounding myself is more along the lines of: "Oh bugger! I seem to have sprung a leak and should do something about it."
Old 2017-12-22, 18:16   #10
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
On the other hand, SWMBO hardly ever has any kind of headache whereas I suffer badly from migraine.

On the gripping hand, SWMBO turns grey at the sight of blood, hers or others, (despite having worked for years as a nurse, including in emergency situations) but my response to wounding myself is more along the lines of: "Oh bugger! I seem to have sprung a leak and should do something about it."
I think at least at work the migraines are related to an excess of CO2 due to the HVAC system and LED flat panel. There’s no air renewal and extract is poor.
Old 2017-12-22, 19:07   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

19×547 Posts

Quote:
I think at least at work the migraines are related to an excess of CO2 due to the HVAC system and LED flat panel. There’s no air renewal and extract is poor.
In my case it's the 100Hz flicker of fluorescent lights.