mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2015-02-25, 11:29   #1
Max Dread

Feb 2015

3 Posts
Default Prime95 Stress Test - 4 instances for Quad Core? + How to use for me?

Hi all

I'm running some testing on my PC. I have read in several places that it is best to run four instances of Prime95 if you have a Quad Core. However, I am wondering if this advice is a thing of the past and whether the current P95 automatically tests all 4 cores in a single instance of the app. Could anyone confirm?

Also, while I'm here... I am not an overclocker. I just want to make sure that my almost-silent PC is stable, solid and not too hot. So I was planning on just running it overnight. Would that be enough?

Also, it seems to me that there are benefits to all three of the different tests (Small FFT, Large FFT, Blend) so I thought I could run each one over different nights separately. I can then observes temps, and if all stays under my maximum (and there are no errors reported) move on. Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers

Max
Max Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 16:59   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·2,399 Posts

I don't have any idea where you could have read that multiple instances is best, because it's utterly not -- Prime95 is one of the most capable multi-threaded programs out there. It should automatically use all your cores, even just for stress testing.

24 hours is the usual number recommended for *rock solid* stability, though it is more superstitious wisdom than actually supported by empirical data. Three over night runs of each the the test types should be more than plenty to ensure your system is among the most stable in the world.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 18:41   #3
Max Dread

Feb 2015

3 Posts

Hi

Thanks you very much for the reply and re-assurance.

I encountered the idea of running more than one instance in a lot of places. I can back track and see if I can find them again if that woud be of any interest?

Ta
Old 2015-02-25, 18:52   #4
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

We don't need to see who said that multiple instances is best. It's just not true. The only conceivable reason is to run different kinds of stress tests at the same time but that isn't necessary.

I would be more than confident with a blend test. Alternatively, you can run small FFT's for an hour or so just to make sure the temperatures are reasonable and then run a blend for 12 - 24 hours and you should be good.

If your machine is not overclocked and you're more oriented for silence, you should be more concerned about temperature than stability, so 12 - 24 hours is plenty.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 19:13   #5
Max Dread

Feb 2015

3 Posts

Great stuff... I'll forge ahead with the tests then.

Thanks for the clarifications.
Old 2015-02-25, 21:44   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I don't have any idea where you could have read that multiple instances is best, because it's utterly not -- Prime95 is one of the most capable multi-threaded programs out there. It should automatically use all your cores, even just for stress testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
We don't need to see who said that multiple instances is best. It's just not true. The only conceivable reason is to run different kinds of stress tests at the same time but that isn't necessary.
Back when dual- and quad-core CPUs were new, Prime95 (version 24) only supported one thread per instance. Most likely, he was just reading some old advice. With recent versions of Prime95 (25 was released in testing in 2007 and a final release in 2009), you're right: only one instance is needed.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2015-02-25 at 21:46
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 11:52   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

213408 Posts

He may also have read about the 32 core limitations, so if you have a 80 cores machine, you would need 3 instances of p95.
Well...
Back to mortal stuff...
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 19:15   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7×113 Posts
Default Yay Prime95/mprime stress testing!

So, a few days ago my main workstation (not server) started having Firefox and Chrome crash randomly. Bloody hell...!

Run all the updates, reboot. Still random crashings of the browsers. Check my recent mprime logs... One "01000100" error code out of the last dozen runs; that run was confirmed good as the residual matched.

Open up the case, blow it out (many dead mosquitoes -- damn those little bastards!!!).

Boot. Open up a shell, run mprime stress tests -- 1 (small FFTs) runs fine; 3 (blend) dies within seconds. So, my CPU and MB is good.

Several reboots and RAM module swaps later, determine that my memory controller is fine, but I have one bad 4GB module. Down to 12 now. Will have to buy another -- my supplier's warranty on RAM is three months.

Thanks George! This would have taken much longer to figure out if I didn't have this tool!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 02:41   #9
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

172710 Posts

The ASUS fanboys at overclock.net absolutely swear by ASUS's own ROG RealBench stress test (the "Real" makes it real, see?). It's funny, because I had a 2 hour stable RB run that crashed immediately with Prime95. Prime95 continues to be my most trusted and most useful stress test.

I helped someone diagnose their issues with the simplest of instructions.

"Run a Prime95 blend test"

"It crashed"

"Try Large FFT's"

"It crashed"

"Try Small FFT's"

"24 hours no problems"

"Replace memory"

"That fixed it thanks"

I still think the whole small-FFT story is funny. It was the end of the world because Intel would have CPU's add a tenth of a volt or so by default when running AVX2 instructions and peoples' aggressive 1.5V overclocks would turn into "zomg wtf" 1.6V overclocks and draw 500W through the socket and, uh, cause some problems.

People go and say "Naw Prime95 overheats" yet say that their CPU's are 100% stable anyway.

Last fiddled with by TheMawn on 2015-02-27 at 02:41
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 06:07   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22E016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
I helped someone diagnose their issues with the simplest of instructions.
<snip>
"Replace memory"
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote