mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-26, 19:10   #1
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22×32×5×13 Posts
Default Work Per ECM Curve

Surely we've previously discussed the details of how the effort per ECM curve scales, but I can't find it. Perhaps we should add it to the Wiki?

I know the number of multiplications scales with B1 and the effort per multiplication scales with the size of the number. I suspect that B2 can be ignored when using the default value.
wblipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 22:44   #2
yoyo
 
yoyo's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

24F16 Posts
Post

Hello,
I extracted with a small perlscript length, B1 and runtime from an ecmclient log file of some days. Afterwards I put it in an open office document, made some charts and adviced open office to determine a formula. The results are in the attached open office document.
Table1 shows all B1 in one chart. The other tables/charts are for one specific B1 each.
yoyo
Attached Files
File Type: zip ecmclient_logfile_analyse.081225.zip (85.1 KB, 77 views)
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 11:05   #3
10metreh
 
10metreh's Avatar
 
Nov 2008

232210 Posts
Default

That spreadsheet is nonsense to Excel. What feature of OpenOffice Calc does Excel not recognize?
10metreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 11:26   #4
yoyo
 
yoyo's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

3×197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10metreh View Post
That spreadsheet is nonsense to Excel. What feature of OpenOffice Calc does Excel not recognize?
Excel version is now also in the attached zip.
yoyo
Attached Files
File Type: zip ecmclient_logfile_analyse.081225.zip (101.8 KB, 70 views)
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 13:43   #5
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,597 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10metreh View Post
That spreadsheet is nonsense to Excel. What feature of OpenOffice Calc does Excel not recognize?
There is a free Open Source converter for MS Office 2003 available at SourceForge : Open XML/ODF Translators Add-Ins for Office.

I never could understand the marketting argument for not providing a converter for a concurrent program. I would think : if you want to convince somebody that uses a concurrent product to use your own product, you should provide the best possible tools for converting their existing files... On the other hand do not provide the tools for saving in concurrent product file format. It is true that almost all marketting makes little sense to me ;-)

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 22:28   #6
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

34×71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
There is a free Open Source converter for MS Office 2003 available at SourceForge : Open XML/ODF Translators Add-Ins for Office.

I never could understand the marketting argument for not providing a converter for a concurrent program. I would think : if you want to convince somebody that uses a concurrent product to use your own product, you should provide the best possible tools for converting their existing files... On the other hand do not provide the tools for saving in concurrent product file format. It is true that almost all marketting makes little sense to me ;-)

Jacob
microsoft tries to keep other people out of the market by making it less easy to change between their programs and others
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 07:08   #7
schickel
 
schickel's Avatar
 
"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
microsoft tries to keep other people out of the market by making it less easy to change between their programs and others
I'd say that's it's even more than that.....they want people to stop using older versions, so they make it easy to go from old to new but hard to go from new to old. That forces companies to upgrade all their PC software at once, rather than upgrade piecemeal as machines are replaced, especially if they want to exchange docuemts.
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 09:28   #8
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,597 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
I'd say that's it's even more than that.....they want people to stop using older versions, so they make it easy to go from old to new but hard to go from new to old. That forces companies to upgrade all their PC software at once, rather than upgrade piecemeal as machines are replaced, especially if they want to exchange docuemts.
I understand all this, but what I do not get is why MS Office can not convert files from concurent applications to its own format. I remember strugling with MS Works files : I could not open them in MS Office. I had to install MS Works to do the conversion. I would think marketing logic would have it the other way round : once you buy a more expensive program from a manufactor it should be able to read the files of your entry level programs from the same manufactor. Otherwise people will not be able to upgrade and spend their money to do so.

To be clear, suppose I have am using MS Works and have a lot of different spreadsheets, at the moment if I want to upgrade to MS Office I have to first save all MS Works files to Excel format (MS Works can do that), and then only can I use MS Office. Thise means a big investment in time for files I am not sure I will need.

But this discussion is thread hijacking :-( All those posts about conversion should not be here but in the SoapBox or Lounge.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 14:24   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

34×71 Posts
Default

what we do at home is save all our documents made with openoffice in MS Office 97-2003 format that means we would be able to change back to MS Office any time we like
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECM curve group order Brain Miscellaneous Math 1 2010-12-08 01:00
Lucky gmp-ecm curve... WraithX GMP-ECM 4 2009-01-12 16:29
Rule for ECM curve and Factor? roger Factoring 1 2007-07-19 07:07
Why does it do only one curve? Andi47 GMP-ECM 6 2006-03-19 06:38
Curve Counts Prime95 Factoring 23 2005-03-22 16:43

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:53.

Mon Nov 30 05:53:39 UTC 2020 up 81 days, 3:04, 3 users, load averages: 0.87, 1.09, 1.19

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.