mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-01-01, 21:59   #34
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·112·13 Posts
Default

http://www.research.ibm.com/haifa/po...ember2019.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 08:39   #35
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

2·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I can't see anything on that page. It gives an error and defaults to the IBM Research page.
SmartMersenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 12:57   #36
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·353 Posts
Default

The solution to the December 2019 puzzle hasn't been posted yet.

The December puzzle page says

Solution: 03/01/2020 @ 12:00 PM EST

The word "Solution" has a clickable link to the URL given above.

The January puzzle page's link to "last month's solution" has a slightly different URL, but loads the URL given above if javascript is enabled.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 21:04   #37
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

2×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The solution to the December 2019 puzzle hasn't been posted yet.

The December puzzle page says

Solution: 03/01/2020 @ 12:00 PM EST

The word "Solution" has a clickable link to the URL given above.

The January puzzle page's link to "last month's solution" has a slightly different URL, but loads the URL given above if javascript is enabled.
Hmm, I haven't seen that before. Where exactly is the ""last month's solution" link on January's puzzle page?
SmartMersenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 21:16   #38
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

11×353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMersenne View Post
Hmm, I haven't seen that before. Where exactly is the ""last month's solution" link on January's puzzle page?
It's in a row (menu bar) of links just above where it says January 2020 - Challenge. The links are labeled

Home, This Month's Challenge, Last Month's Solution, RSS, and Contact Us.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 21:58   #39
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

2×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It's in a row (menu bar) of links just above where it says January 2020 - Challenge. The links are labeled

Home, This Month's Challenge, Last Month's Solution, RSS, and Contact Us.
Silly me. Got it. Thanks!
SmartMersenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 21:59   #40
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

2×43 Posts
Default

Btw, the link on the main "Ponder This" page is also pointing to the same page:

http://www.research.ibm.com/haifa/po...is/index.shtml
SmartMersenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 02:28   #41
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

388310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The solution to the December 2019 puzzle hasn't been posted yet.

The December puzzle page says

Solution: 03/01/2020 @ 12:00 PM EST

The word "Solution" has a clickable link to the URL given above.

The January puzzle page's link to "last month's solution" has a slightly different URL, but loads the URL given above if javascript is enabled.
Silly me, I believed them. I just checked, and the solution still hasn't been posted. The link still goes to the IBM research site.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 20:22   #42
SmartMersenne
 
Sep 2017

2×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Silly me, I believed them. I just checked, and the solution still hasn't been posted. The link still goes to the IBM research site.
In almost all other competition sites the feedback is immediate. IBM's bi-weekly updates were bad, then it became monthly which was frustrating, now it is even beyond that which I think is creating a horrible experience.
SmartMersenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 15:29   #43
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMersenne View Post
In almost all other competition sites the feedback is immediate. IBM's bi-weekly updates were bad, then it became monthly which was frustrating, now it is even beyond that which I think is creating a horrible experience.
Obviously, IBM isn't taking its own puzzles seriously. Why should anyone else?

The December solution still hasn't been posted.

The link to the solution on the December challenge page still goes to the IBM research page. With Javascript disabled, the web link to Last Month's Solution comes up blank, but viewing the source shows

Quote:
<html>
<body onLoad="window.location.href='solutions/December2019.html'">
</body>
</html>
just as before. With Javascript enabled, it defaults to the IBM research page, just as the Solution link does on the December challenge page.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-08, 00:06   #44
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

5×112×13 Posts
Default

With a little planning and work, we bet this forum could come up with a decent monthly puzzle.


Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
December 2018 Xyzzy Puzzles 6 2019-01-06 23:07
December 2017 Batalov Puzzles 4 2018-01-04 04:33
December 2016 Xyzzy Puzzles 11 2017-01-24 12:27
December 2015 Xyzzy Puzzles 15 2016-01-06 10:23
December 2014 Xyzzy Puzzles 13 2015-01-02 19:41

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:13.

Wed Dec 2 07:13:28 UTC 2020 up 83 days, 4:24, 1 user, load averages: 1.28, 1.52, 1.51

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.