Why am I not surprised?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 06:25   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2D8A16 Posts

The elevator-video deal is bizarre - it seems clear that *someone* at NFL headquarters received the copy of the video, so either Goodell is lying (= will have to step down), or it was never passed on to him, which seems unlikely but would be very interesting indeed, if true.

Related: If anyone can manage to dig up a picture of one of the "Put on your game face" billboards featuring a woman with a black eye being sponsored by an anti-domestic-violence organization, I would appreciate it. The ads are hilariously, pointedly sardonic, but I was unable to find one via websearch just now.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 12:43   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

642910 Posts

I do wonder how much Goddell knew. It's a case where the (NFL) thinking should be "if the video goes public we will have a public relations nightmare". That should immediately be followed by, "it will go public because someone will want to make money from it".

If the NFL was thinking "we can bury the video and protect Ray Rice and our image", then they were stupid.

But what really amazes me more than that aspect of the story is the number of women who support Ray Rice saying "she hit him first so it is okay for him to hit her back".
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 15:49   #4
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2·3·5·277 Posts

Vaguely related:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1939743

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ain-chemistry/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 21:09   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·29·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
But what really amazes me more than that aspect of the story is the number of women who support Ray Rice saying "she hit him first so it is okay for him to hit her back".
cf. Israel and "disproportionate retaliation".

The phenomenon of beaten spouses defending their abuser is well known, seems like a form of Stockholm syndrome to me.
Old 2014-09-15, 23:37   #6
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

22058 Posts

Though to be honest (and in the minority apparently) the second video made Rice look better in my opinion. I mean really, what did people think happened during the elevator ride after 1) seeing the video of him pulling her around outside the elevator and after 2) he plead guilty to assault and did court appointed punishment?

The NFL's punishment was always ridiculously lame, which is why there was a continuous uproar about it during the entire off-season. But, at least the second video showed that he neither started the altercation nor continued to beat her after she fell to the floor.

Drunken stupor, yes. Abusive? yes, but not indicative of an abusive relationship--unless she's the rare kind of abused wife or girl friend who feels she can attack him first. Should he be punished? Certainly, but the courts didn't feel like his punishment should rise to the level that the NFL apparently does.

Should she be charged with 3rd degree aggravated assault (the charge Rice plead guilty to)? It certainly seems like it from the video.

Rice's plea bargain seems to have served two purposes: it kept her out of the court system, and also allowed Rice to be charged with aggravated assault a crime that can only be committed without legal justification which his being assaulted would have precluded, and it also was a higher degree than the prosecution could have probably proven in a court of law, meaning the higher fines would grease the wheels of justice.

Seriously, when I saw the video in February I thought much worse things had happened in that elevator.

Edit: the further reading I did on this issue implies that Rice plead down to some lesser charge after entering court appointed counseling. Again though the Prosecutor had seen this tape and probably, after discussion with the Lawyer decided that he wouldn't have gotten the Aggravated assault charge to stick (my speculation). So, my narrative is a bit off above. It will be interesting to see if more comes out about the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BxctgQrIUAAYwWG.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	11716  

Last fiddled with by chappy on 2014-09-15 at 23:48 Reason: further research yields conflict.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 02:57   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

266128 Posts

Anheuser-Busch ‘increasingly concerned’ over NFL’s domestic-violence issues
Old 2014-09-18, 23:49   #8
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2·3·5·277 Posts

Vaguely related: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/us...to-resign.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 01:08   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·41·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
The phenomenon of beaten spouses defending their abuser is well known, seems like a form of Stockholm syndrome to me.
Search the #tags WhyILeft & WhyIStayed
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 20:27   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

266128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Search the #tags WhyILeft & WhyIStayed
Sorry, don't do Twitter.

==============

Police likely have a much bigger domestic abuse problem than the NFL:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...riends/380329/

“If there’s any job that domestic abuse should disqualify a person from holding, isn’t it the one job that gives you a lethal weapon, trains you to stalk people without their noticing, and relies on your judgment and discretion to protect the abused against domestic abusers?”
Old 2014-09-20, 20:48   #11
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Sorry, I have to laugh. What's next, a lung cancer colloquium sponsored by Philip Morris? A global warming summit brought to you by ExxonMobil?

I'd love to know the percentage of domestic violence cases fueled by A-B's products each year.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote