chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

26E916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
In particular chalsall is very arrogant.
Just to speak to this particular charge...

I sincerely don't ever mean to come across as arrogant, nor cause offense. I have been told this can be the preception to those who don't know me well.

I subscribe to the Scientific Method. I /presume/ everyone else does as well. The Method involves constantly challenging (and being challenged).

To share, I have been measured somewhat far on some of the ASRS vectors.
Old 2021-08-05, 23:21   #24
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

24·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just to speak to this particular charge...

I sincerely don't ever mean to come across as arrogant, nor cause offense.
Everyone has his/her own personalities and the unique ways of using the words, thus unless you've met the person face to face, it's difficult to make a hardline judgement that another person is very arrogant.

Someone else can think drkirkby the same way if he/she hasn't been familiar with drkirkby long enough such as must run PRPs after TFs and P-1 finished by others. If I want something badly enough, I do everything myself. Of course, someone can think me the same way too because I do certain things other people don't agree with. Unless something is unlawful, it's probably not that big of a deal.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2021-08-05 at 23:26
Old 2021-08-11, 11:36   #25
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Someone else can think drkirkby the same way if he/she hasn't been familiar with drkirkby long enough such as must run PRPs after TFs and P-1 finished by others.
I don't refuse to do P-1 or trial factoring. But it is pointless doing trial-factoring on my CPUs, as GPUs are far more sensible for trial-factoring. I've done a little trial-factoring on my GPU, but it is not very good at trial factoring either, although its more suitable for trial factoring than PRP tests. My main workstation was more suited for PRP tests as it has a lot of cores, or P-1 as it has a lot of cores and RAM.

I've done P-1 tests multiple times - the subject of this thread should make that obvious.

When I was getting category 0 and 1 exponents, it was never necessary to do trial-factoring, and rarely necessary to do P-1 factoring either. However, contrary to what you stated in some other thread, category 0 and 1 exponents do not always have the P-1 done. Take a look for example at M104813497, which Ben Delo is doing a PRP test on. Ben did the P-1 too, using B1=890000, B2=18245000, E=12. However, I would estimate around 90% of the wavefront exponents don't need P-1 done by the person doing the PRP test, since someone else has already done the P-1 factoring.

Last fiddled with by drkirkby on 2021-08-11 at 11:38
Old 2021-08-11, 21:43   #26
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Intended as helpful:
Forum participation and GIMPS participation are two different things. One can quit mersenne forum participation and continue GIMPS computation.
Agreed, although if doing GIMPS work, I would like to get involved somewhat in the project, rather than just pay the electric bill on a computer that runs 24/7 for GIMPS work, but only needed to run 7 hours per day for actual work.
Quote:
In a group of over 4000 members, it is not surprising there are some "characters". And some are more reliably civil than others.
I appreciate that, but I'm a member of several groups with thousands of members, and I'm yet to find a group with such an aggressive tone as this one. I was particulary annoyed when I see chalsall make a nasty comment towards me, and Prime95 comment on the very same subject (issues building mprime as no makefile for assembly code), yet say nothing about chalsall's. If the leader of the project does not pull up chalsall, then the project is not for me.
Quote:
I think it would be a poor choice to post publicly, methods for defeating the assignment rules or operation of any rules. That's not personal.
I appreciate that, although I could work out a way round it myself. I'm still not sure why it actually happened, as it could be one of three things that triggered this.
Quote:
There is the possibility of adding one or more selected ordinary forum users to your own mersenne forum "ignore list". This is not however effective in blocking posts or PMs or other actions from moderators that one may feel are being rude or abusive or otherwise inappropriate.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'd already added chalsall to that list, but he was not the only one, although the most abusive of any.
Quote:
One of the things I sometimes pull back and consider is, why and how much should we care what some user or moderator thinks, that we've never met in real life and probably never will.
Yes, I accept that. A similar, but certainly not identical, point was made to me by retina in some post.
Quote:
It's also difficult to divine whether a person is posting from arrogance, ignorance, irritation, or something else, and easy to mistake the mindset of the poster as something other than what was intended.
I have concluded that chalsall is just plain arrogant. Someone else contacted by PM to say "Just ignore chalsall, he's an arrogant asshole that likes to insult people. I guess he is immune to criticism because he runs the "GPU to 72" thing " What I find disturbing is that George is aware of chalsall's behaviour, and just ignores it. If running this "GPU to 72" project allows chalsall to get away with such abuse, then the project is not for me.

I was going to terminate all mprime instances on all computers. However, on a couple of machines where I pay the same amount each month, irrespective of the CPU usage, I will keep mprime running. However, whereas I used to submit an average of a little over 1 PRP test per day, it will now be one about per month, so a 30x reduction in throughput.
Old 2021-08-11, 22:13   #27
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

24·31 Posts

Quote:
When I was getting category 0 and 1 exponents, it was never necessary to do trial-factoring, and rarely necessary to do P-1 factoring either. However, contrary to what you stated in some other thread, category 0 and 1 exponents do not always have the P-1 done.
I always run PRP or P-1 on my CPU and TF on my GPU at the same time. It slows my CPU down only around 1~2%.
Old 2021-08-12, 02:57   #28
Zhangrc

"University student"
May 2021
Beijing, China

109 Posts

Quote:
I was going to terminate all mprime instances on all computers.
What a pity!

Your computers, especially your huge memory, help the project a lot.

Anyway, you can still get Cat 1 assignments, if you have at least one computer that gets them. As long as you have the AIDs in your hands, you can exchange your assignments between workers and computers.

But it depends upon the size of your USB disk. For LLDC, it's very easy (the save files are only 7MB each). For PRP with proof, the interim residue files are sometimes too huge to transfer in USB disks. You may have to use a smaller proof power, such as 6 or 7.

Last fiddled with by Zhangrc on 2021-08-12 at 03:06
Old 2021-08-12, 03:09   #29
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

25×313 Posts

Quote:
I guess he is immune to criticism because he runs the "GPU to 72" thing " [/B]What I find disturbing is that George is aware of chalsall's behaviour, and just ignores it. If running this "GPU to 72" project allows chalsall to get away with such abuse, then the project is not for me.
He is not immune. Just because you don't see in public him getting a stern talking to, doesn't mean it isn't happening. There are things that go on behind the scenes that you don't see or know about. Always feel free to PM in of the mods in red about issues.
Old 2021-08-12, 19:06   #30
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7·1,423 Posts

Quote:
I have concluded that chalsall is just plain arrogant.
And I have concluded that you are a snowflake. Unique, but not particularly special. And quick to melt.

I find it very interesting how words appear to have hurt you so much.

Grow a pair, mate.
Old 2021-08-13, 03:08   #31
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3×19×67 Posts

My apologies to all forum readers.

The moderators have done a dismal job maintaining a friendly tone in this and other recent threads. We will try to do a better job in the future.

I ask all members to please return to less antagonistic postings. As my parents used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'm closing this thread. Let it stand as an horrid example of how threads can quickly devolve when we treat fellow members in a less than respectful manner.
Closed Thread