Old 2022-07-23, 21:43   #1
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

24×33×23 Posts
Exclamation GM Magnus Carlsen's abdication

Quote:
GM Magnus Carlsen will not defend his world championship title against GM Ian Nepomniachtchi * next year. Carlsen announced his decision on a podcast on Tuesday. According to current regulations, FIDE Candidates tournament winner Nepomniachtchi will now play the world championship against Candidates runner-up GM Ding Liren.

"I’ve spoken to people in my team, I’ve spoken to FIDE, I spoke to Ian as well. The conclusion is very simple: I’m not motivated to play another match," said Carlsen. "I don’t have a lot to gain. I don't particularly like it, and although I’m sure a match would be interesting for historical reasons, I don’t have any inclinations to play and I will simply not play the match."
https://www.chess.com/news/view/carl...he-chess-world
Old 2022-07-24, 05:28   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

147048 Posts

Fear of losing.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-24, 06:29   #3
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

2×5×113 Posts

I believe GM Bobby Fischer did exactly the same thing 38 years ago.
rudy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-24, 08:54   #4
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

38B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Fear of losing.
Don't think so, more boredom over the format and disappointment that the next competitor is a rerun. He could be playing a legacy metagame but it seems more likely that he'd rather compete in half a dozen faster-format tournaments than prepare for a dull slog that he's not motivated for.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-24, 11:42   #5
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

2×3×7×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
Don't think so, more boredom over the format and disappointment that the next competitor is a rerun. He could be playing a legacy metagame but it seems more likely that he'd rather compete in half a dozen faster-format tournaments than prepare for a dull slog that he's not motivated for.

I agree. He did commentary during the FIDE Candidate matches and seemed less than thrilled.
Also:
AS you said, he has become VERY fond of "fast" chess formats ( blitz, bullet, etc ). This also speaks to boredom of long, arduous matches.
He has been playing high stakes poker matches and seems to be enjoying them.
In recent interviews, commentaries he seems much more relaxed and having fun.

He has nothing left to prove to anyone.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote