Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2013-08-05, 21:32   #1
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

6BF16 Posts
Default Uploading large numbers of results

Hi folks.

I get a real kick out of trial factoring from 65 to 66, so I went and made myself a job to factor 50,000 of them. My GTX 670 chews through 400M exponents in about 7 seconds each. I notice that the "Upload Results" page times out well before they are all processed. Is there another way to submit the results?

Thanks
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 22:11   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Or enter your results here (roughly 4KB limit):
Do you know how much data you are asking Manual Results to swallow in one gulp?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 23:38   #3
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

I was uploading a .txt roughly 500KB in size. I realize it's a lot, but that isn't much help.

What should I do?
Old 2013-08-05, 23:47   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

24·3·52·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
I was uploading a .txt roughly 500KB in size. I realize it's a lot, but that isn't much help.
so knowing a 4KB limit isn't helpful ?

Quote:
What should I do?
I would think since 500/4 = 125 upload in roughly 125 files I would guess could solve the problem.
science_man_88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:09   #5
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

24·47 Posts

4KB limit is for using the text box on the webpage. The file upload limit is larger, but I think 500KB is unrealistic at present. I'd try 50KB and move up or down from there.
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 00:22   #6
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

32778 Posts

Yes. The 4KB limit is for the text box. The file size is probably unlimited but it does time out if processing takes too long.

I uploaded the entire 500KB file in one go the first time around and left the page within a few seconds once I saw that the page was just going to sit there giving me the report on my results. I didn't realize that I had to stay on the page for the results to continue being processed.

I let the page do its thing and I noticed then that the process does time out instead of telling me the file is too large. It wasn't all that difficult to see where the timeout happened and delete all the results above that point from my .txt file, but I noticed that the page first looks at no factors found, and THEN at any factors found results, so it could be that a couple dozen exponents with factors were missed because of the order in which the results are processed.

This all kind of lead me to believe that there must be another way to do it, but it sounds like there isn't. I was looking for a "give me your stuff and I'll process it when I get around to it" alternative to the current "I'll process these things one at a time and give you a confirmation for each and every one". I was just wondering because I do see there are an awful lot of people working on low trial factoring depth for the LMH projects. I guess they don't have a special procedure.
Old 2013-08-06, 00:45   #7
Jayder

Dec 2012

1000101112 Posts

Do you use misfit? It can automatically submit results as often as every hour. I am not sure if it can handle upload of 500KB or not, but if you're not already using it it is worth checking out.
Jayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 03:25   #8
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

32778 Posts

Will look into misfit. The documentation is pretty confusing-looking so I'll need a bit more time and alertness than I have at the moment.

I just submitted ~100KB worth and it didn't quite all make it. Maybe something like 80KB is the practical limit.

Also I can confirm that any factors found are missed if the file is too long because it goes through looking for no factors first. I went and retyped the range of exponents I was working on and found a whole bunch of exponents close to the start of my range which all ended up having factors.
Old 2013-08-06, 03:33   #9
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

23·53 Posts

If you're not big into scripting, and want to send me the 500k file, I can chop it into 10 50k files and send them back to you to upload.
Or 50 10k files.

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2013-08-06 at 03:33
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 05:32   #10
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

2×5×53 Posts

Quote:
My GTX 670 chews through 400M exponents in about 7 seconds each.
You are aware that submitting results at such a pace is somewhat demanding on the server, aren't you?
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 23:50   #11
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

32778 Posts

I've fiddled around a bit more. This afternoon, I had some 9,000 lines sitting there at about 800KB. I split the file myself into 10 equal parts, just using Microsoft Word to split them. 20 pages worth at the default font in 2010 seems good. I was able to make one segment about as fast as the previous uploaded, so if I got a system to work any faster I would spend an awful lot of time waiting anyway.

I will keep your ideas in mind anyway, though, so thanks.

Quote:
You are aware that submitting results at such a pace is somewhat demanding on the server, aren't you?
I am not submitting a result every seven seconds, or even trying to. This was just to give an indication of how many I was creating in a day (~12,000).

To be honest, I don't really have much of an idea of what goes on server-side but I can't imagine it would be all that difficult. I think the biggest deal is the fact that the server wants to output a confirmation for every result. I was hoping for a sort of bin to dump all the results into which the server could process at its leisure.

Is the timeout thing a file size issue or a "I've been working on this result for 30 seconds and I'm not done yet so something must have gone wrong: Abort." thing?