Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-04-18, 20:17   #870
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×997 Posts

California store owner charged in errant shooting of girl
Quote:
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) - A co-owner of a Southern California shoe store who allegedly wounded a 9-year-old girl while shooting at shoplifters has been charged with assault with a firearm, authorities said Monday.

Marquel Michael James Cockrell, 20, was scheduled for a San Bernardino County Superior Court video arraignment in Rancho Cucamonga, a prosecution press release said.
<snip>
The shooting occurred April 12 at the Mall of Victor Valley in the high desert city of Victorville.

Cockrell chased two shoplifters and fired shots that "instead hit the 9-year-old female victim," Victorville police said in a statement.

The girl, Ava Chruniak, suffered three gunshot wounds, including two in an arm, said her grandmother, Robin Moraga-Saldarelli. One of the bullets fractured an arm bone.

Police said Cockrell fled and was later arrested in Nevada's Clark County. He was subsequently extradited and held in custody in California, the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office said.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 09:45   #871
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×7×821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
About the second part, I wish you that you never be in the situation to find out!
I am genuinely interested in finding out your take on this situation.

It is possible, though unlikely in my opinion, that I may be threatened by a spoon-wielding maniac 20 metres away and would like to know how to defend myself should the situation arise.

My first instinct would be to run away, but I do not run very fast and would likely be outpaced, hence my request for additional advice.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 09:51   #872
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7·23·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
My first instinct would be to run away, but I do not run very fast and would likely be outpaced ...
You only have to run faster than someone else in the line of attack. So always volunteer to help little old ladies cross the road.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 13:23   #873
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,663 Posts

Quote:
...hence my request for additional advice.
There is no spoon.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 13:59   #874
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×997 Posts

Quote:
I am genuinely interested in finding out your take on this situation.

It is possible, though unlikely in my opinion, that I may be threatened by a spoon-wielding maniac 20 metres away and would like to know how to defend myself should the situation arise.

My first instinct would be to run away, but I do not run very fast and would likely be outpaced, hence my request for additional advice.
If you have a gun, you can simply shoot the maniac. [Recall the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indiana Jones faced a big man with a big scimitar]. You don't have to shoot to kill, of course. Here in the good ol' USA, acting in self-defense means you "reasonably believe" that you are, or someone else is, in imminent danger of death or serious injury from the would-be attacker.

There was a skit on Monty Python's Flying Circus about attacks by fresh fruit. The methods included pulling a lever to drop a 16-ton weight on the attacker, and releasing tigers.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 14:10   #875
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

11001110010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If you have a gun, you can simply shoot the maniac.
Which maniacs? The ones with the guns?

But officer, I felt I was in mortal danger. He had a spoon!
Sir, you do realise this is a restaurant, right?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 15:25   #876
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

101100111001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
You only have to run faster than someone else in the line of attack. So always volunteer to help little old ladies cross the road.
Not always true.

It may be that the spooner is intent on attacking only me and will ignore everyone else.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 15:53   #877
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2·229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Here in the good ol' USA, acting in self-defense means you "reasonably believe" that you are, or someone else is, in imminent danger of death or serious injury from the would-be attacker.
If you are white.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 16:09   #878
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

32×1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slandrum View Post
If you are white.
Which reminds me of this episode from The Moth podcast: https://themoth.org/radio-hour/under-the-gun-1
Particularly the last of the 3 stories.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 16:48   #879
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

38D16 Posts

Quote:
In that case this case study is invaluable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 17:06   #880
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2×229 Posts

Quote:
Use the fork, Luke. Trust in the fork.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote