mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-09-03, 23:00   #1024
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,151 Posts

Why so different a pandemic response now, than 50 years ago? https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-li...demic-of-1969/

"The idea that a pandemic could be controlled with social distancing and public lockdowns is a relatively new one, said Tucker. It was first suggested in a 2006 study by New Mexico scientist Robert J. Glass, who got the idea from his 14-year-old daughter’s science project."
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-03, 23:37   #1025
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·23·67 Posts

Using your logic we probably shouldn't wash our hands either.

Common sense tells us that the best way to not catch a highly communicable disease is to avoid people who have it.

Let's say there is a room full of people with the bubonic plague. You have the choice to go in the room or not. What is your choice?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-03, 23:53   #1026
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10110101100102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Let's say there is a room full of people with the bubonic plague. You have the choice to go in the room or not. What is your choice?
If that room is on the spacecraft that is going to the Moon then I choose not to go.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 00:43   #1027
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2·809 Posts

Quote:

Common sense tells us that the best way to not catch a highly communicable disease is to avoid people who have it.

This is giving me a moment of pause. I have a granddaughter who will one year old on Monday, (September 7). My son is having a private birthday party for her the day before at an amusement location designed for kids. Part of it is indoors and the rest outdoors. I have already informed him that I might attend.

My son works at an auto parts manufacturing plant. They make various things for Toyota. There are people coming in there from all over on a daily basis. I do not mix with his friends. it is a generational thing. I find all of them to be a bit goofy.

To the point: How do I know that my son is not going to bring home the big, bad, creepy-crawler from somewhere he has been? I do not know. He may be a carrier, I may be a carrier. I am rapidly closing in on age 65. I am told that I am in really good condition compared to the majority in my age group. I try to eat properly and take supplements. Bottom line: I would rather not take the chance. However, I do not want to create a rift in the family.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 00:58   #1028
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,151 Posts

Quote:

So, you think 14-year-olds' ideas should run the world? (And still produce LOTS of deaths that they were intended to prevent. With multiple indications of yielding more total death than not implementing them.)

The room choice depends. Do I already have it, a new patient arrival? Am I their doctor and wearing adequate PPE?

Let's say that you're a covidophobe, and are confident that at some point some CV19+ persons have been or will be in your grocery store, post office, gas station, pharmacy, etc. Do you live out the rest of your days without going to any such place, dying to avoid possible exposure? Stress out and have a heart attack worrying about the disease? Shelter and starve in place?

There's a middle ground. Ruining the economy (bankrupting many small businesses and many employees), creating bottlenecks in the supply chain such that additional millions more are expected to die of starvation than covid19, is not the middle ground, & is not any kind of optimal.

Did you read the article before posting a response?
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 01:13   #1029
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

16B216 Posts

I remember at the start of the covid-19 panic that most countries stated that they needed to "flatten the curve" to reduce the peak load on the care facilities. But now the focus seems to have shifted to eliminating the virus from any future spread.

The difference being that previously it seemed like people accepted that we will all eventually get covid-19 and we were just trying to delay when it finds you. And lately it is more a thought process of we don't ever want to get it, keep your filthy viruses away from me.

So long term can we (as a group) ever avoid it? I think not, we can only ever delay it. Those susceptible to death from it will eventually die from it. Those who's immune system can shrug it off will be fine.

So how much longer do you want to live in fear? You will get it eventually (if you haven't already). Make your choice: Be forever fearful, scared of everything, or bring it on and let's see what happens.
Old 2020-09-04, 03:09   #1030
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

101101000112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
So how much longer do you want to live in fear? You will get it eventually (if you haven't already). Make your choice: Be forever fearful, scared of everything, or bring it on and let's see what happens.
That's a false choice. There will be a vaccine. If society is responsible, a lot of people will get a vaccine before they are infected, saving millions of lives.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 03:23   #1031
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

3·13·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Why so different a pandemic response now, than 50 years ago? https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-li...demic-of-1969/

"The idea that a pandemic could be controlled with social distancing and public lockdowns is a relatively new one, said Tucker. It was first suggested in a 2006 study by New Mexico scientist Robert J. Glass, who got the idea from his 14-year-old daughter’s science project."
Complete bullshit article.

Couple of points:
1. H3N2 was less lethal than COVID-19
2. H3N2 is a strain of influenza; influenza vaccines had been around since the 1940s.

With COVID-19 we have a more deadly virus, with less guarantee that a vaccine will be readily available.
Old 2020-09-04, 03:26   #1032
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

26438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
So, you think 14-year-olds' ideas should run the world? (And still produce LOTS of deaths that they were intended to prevent. With multiple indications of yielding more total death than not implementing them.)
Governments around the world adopted lockdowns, social distancing measures, quarantines and mask mandates. But sure, if you want to get your panties in a bunch because a 14-yo may have suggested it first, enjoy your wedgie.
Old 2020-09-04, 03:35   #1033
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·5·7·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
There will be a vaccine.
Do you have a lot of confidence in that claim?

We still haven't found a vaccine for HIV and many other viruses.
Old 2020-09-04, 04:05   #1034
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

26438 Posts

One more time, with feeling:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dunningkruger.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.6 KB