mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Old 2010-09-29, 14:04   #1
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×5×251 Posts
Default Prime95 or GMP-ECM

I had a few questions regarding the performance of the different implementations of ECM. I apologize if these questions have been answered here before but a quick check on the forum did not reveal any answers.

1. For running ECM on small Mersenne numbers, is Prime95 better than GMP-ECM?

2. Are the pre-compiled Linux 64-bit binaries of GMP-ECM the fastest for a general i.e. non-mersenne number? Basically, is Linux better than Windows? And is 64-bit better than 32-bit?

3. Does GMP-ECM speak to all the ECMNet servers (given the IP address and port) that have been posted on this forum? Such as xilman's server?

Thanks.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 14:28   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22×33×5×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
I had a few questions regarding the performance of the different implementations of ECM. I apologize if these questions have been answered here before but a quick check on the forum did not reveal any answers.

1. For running ECM on small Mersenne numbers, is Prime95 better than GMP-ECM?

2. Are the pre-compiled Linux 64-bit binaries of GMP-ECM the fastest for a general i.e. non-mersenne number? Basically, is Linux better than Windows? And is 64-bit better than 32-bit?

3. Does GMP-ECM speak to all the ECMNet servers (given the IP address and port) that have been posted on this forum? Such as xilman's server?
1. IIRC, the latest GMP-ECM can use gwnum in addition to GMP.

2. 64-bit is better than 32-bit, hands down. Linux/Windows shouldn't make a huge difference outside of OS overhead.

3. GMP-ECM does not communicate with ECMNet. The ECMNet client can use any version of GMP-ECM. I don't know which version of ECMNet Paul is using, but I presume it is one of my releases (2.x) as I added support for P+1/P-1, which the old ECMNet did not support.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 15:14   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3×3,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
3. GMP-ECM does not communicate with ECMNet. The ECMNet client can use any version of GMP-ECM. I don't know which version of ECMNet Paul is using, but I presume it is one of my releases (2.x) as I added support for P+1/P-1, which the old ECMNet did not support.
To be precise, ECMnet is a client and a server. The client calls a program to do the factoring work. That client could, in principle, be any program at all as long as it produces results which the client can understand. In practice, GMP-ECM is the program which the client uses.

I can't remember which version of the server I'm running. It's certainly a fairly recent 2.x server.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 15:21   #4
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

251010 Posts

Thanks all. But back to Q1. Is gwnum faster for both stages on a small Mersenne number, or only stage 1 or none?
Old 2010-09-29, 15:37   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22×1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
1. IIRC, the latest GMP-ECM can use gwnum in addition to GMP.
Haven't noticed any compiled binaries. hint hint
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:11   #6
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

46478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I can't remember which version of the server I'm running. It's certainly a fairly recent 2.x server.
I have just noticed that the ECMNet-homepage say that Mark Rodenkirch has released version 2.6.1 of the server/client utility, but the link given there is 404.
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:27   #7
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

713310 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all. But back to Q1. Is gwnum faster for both stages on a small Mersenne number, or only stage 1 or none?
gwnum is faster in stage 1 only.

There is a way to configure prime95 to just do stage 1 and then run GMP-ECM to do stage 2.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2010-09-29 at 16:27
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:40   #8
jyb

Aug 2005
Seattle, WA

30438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi47 View Post
I have just noticed that the ECMNet-homepage say that Mark Rodenkirch has released version 2.6.1 of the server/client utility, but the link given there is 404.
Try this link: http://home.roadrunner.com/~mrodenki...me/ECMNet.html
The latest version is apparently 2.7.3.

Speaking of which, I've made some modifications to the client which I have found to be very useful, particularly when wanting to run multiple client processes which share a config file. Mark, are you accepting changes of this sort?
jyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 19:03   #9
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

1001110011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
gwnum is faster in stage 1 only.

There is a way to configure prime95 to just do stage 1 and then run GMP-ECM to do stage 2.
Thanks George. I noticed that those lines in undoc.txt have not been modified so I suspected this might be the case. Thanks to everyone else for responding.
Old 2010-09-29, 19:39   #10
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22·33·5·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyb View Post
Try this link: http://home.roadrunner.com/~mrodenki...me/ECMNet.html
The latest version is apparently 2.7.3.

Speaking of which, I've made some modifications to the client which I have found to be very useful, particularly when wanting to run multiple client processes which share a config file. Mark, are you accepting changes of this sort?
Possibly. I've started a new thread.

Someday I'll have to notify Paul Zimmerman of the current version so that he can update his link.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 13:06   #11
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

56278 Posts

Quote:
Thanks George. I noticed that those lines in undoc.txt have not been modified so I suspected this might be the case. Thanks to everyone else for responding.
You add "GmpEcmHook=1" to prime.txt, and then set B2 value to 1.

Then you use gmp-ecm on results.txt like this with B1=1 and B2 to whatever you want:

ecm -resume results.txt 1 <B2>
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote