Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2017-02-14, 20:32   #12
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

Actually my friends and I could probably make it a day trip to the Carbondale area... no need to book a hotel...
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 05:23   #13
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Actually my friends and I could probably make it a day trip to the Carbondale area... no need to book a hotel...
One other reason to go down to Giant City is that the Lodge is on the highest point in the park. Part of the installation is a water tower, with stairs to a large observation deck under the tank. It puts you well above the trees. I suppose that it might also be jammed on the day in question.

EDIT: I regret that we will not be there. Someone else at Dan's job has the time off, and he has to cover for it.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-02-15 at 05:25
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 09:31   #14
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

722110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
EDIT: I regret that we will not be there. Someone else at Dan's job has the time off, and he has to cover for it.
That's a shame. It's occurred to me that even since we've both been on this forum, I've been less than a mile from you (or so I estimate) possibly near on a dozen or more times (mostly in passing, and certainly always with many thousands of people between us). Would be nice to eventually meet you
Old 2017-02-15, 17:54   #15
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
That's a shame. It's occurred to me that even since we've both been on this forum, I've been less than a mile from you (or so I estimate) possibly near on a dozen or more times (mostly in passing, and certainly always with many thousands of people between us). Would be nice to eventually meet you
If you've been to a Cubs home game that's right at a mile from my place. The Clark and Halsted intersection is a block away.

I would really like to meet you, as well as other forum members who might be in the area. Google maps says the trip is 346 miles for me, or something over 5 hours. There was a time I might have considered a day trip that long, though it would not be as much fun running solo. But now, I look at it and think, "On the road no later than 5 AM. Back home by 8 or 9 PM." I've done longer non-stop drives, but they have mostly been with company, though I do all the driving. I wish I could teleport downstate, but "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."
Old 2017-02-15, 20:54   #16
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·32·73 Posts

Quote:
I would really like to meet you, as well as other forum members who might be in the area.
Likewise.

I've met perhaps a dozen other forum members+over the years. Perhaps another thread for the lounge woul be for people to list others they have met, from which we could derive a connectivity matrix and related criteria such as most connected, shortest average path to other members, longest path between members and an analogue to the Erdos/Bacon numbers.

+ Springing immediately to mind are Wacky, dleclair, R.D.Silverman, akruppa, fivemack, jasonp, JFranke, bdodson, Joppe_Bos, wblipp, Brian Gladman and pinhodecarlos. There may well be others.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 01:53   #17
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
If you've been to a Cubs home game that's right at a mile from my place. The Clark and Halsted intersection is a block away.
A couple of games yes, including two last year, as well as a handful of various passings-by on the two nearby rail lines [one of each sort of commuter rail available in the city] (though I guess the farther line is 2-3 miles away).
Old 2017-02-16, 02:12   #18
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

Quote:

I'm in the same position right now, of having to work on that Monday, I'm hoping that the schedule clears up.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 05:06   #19
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I'm in the same position right now, of having to work on that Monday, I'm hoping that the schedule clears up.
Dan has urged me to go by myself, if I want to. I spent a lot of time looking for accommodations for Aug 20, 21, 22. The only 2 places I could find in Carbondale with rooms available were quoting 160-320 dollars. I thought I had tracked down motels in small towns on the interstates, but they crapped out, too.

I have an idea, that with the University starting up, the inns will be full of parents. But maybe it is eclipse chasers. It is a prime zone on the track.

I had shied away from the smallest cabins at Giant City initially because it was $80/night. Now, I see that is pretty modest. If they have anything, I'll take it.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-02-21 at 05:07
Old 2017-02-21, 05:47   #20
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

9,209 Posts

Quote:
The only 2 places I could find in Carbondale with rooms available were quoting 160-320 dollars. I thought I had tracked down motels in small towns on the interstates, but they crapped out, too.

I have an idea, that with the University starting up, the inns will be full of parents. But maybe it is eclipse chasers. It is a prime zone on the track.
Often times I try to stay a ways outside of the city that I am visiting. When I have visited San Francisco, I have stayed in Redwood City. When I have visited Washington DC I stayed about 20 miles to the south. The exception to this has been NY, NY. My plan for the eclipse is the same, stay 30-50-70 km away, drive in on the day.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 12:46   #21
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Often times I try to stay a ways outside of the city that I am visiting. When I have visited San Francisco, I have stayed in Redwood City. When I have visited Washington DC I stayed about 20 miles to the south. The exception to this has been NY, NY. My plan for the eclipse is the same, stay 30-50-70 km away, drive in on the day.
That might well prove necessary, but it may be more than 20 miles.
Far downstate IL is relatively sparsely populated. Lots of it is national forest, for now. Next year, who knows? It could be coal and frack central once Drumpf really gets going.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-02-21 at 12:49
Old 2017-02-23, 01:00   #22
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236518 Posts

I just called Giant City Lodge. A woman answered.

Me: I'd like to inquire about availability in August
Her: The time of the eclipse?
Me: Uh...Yeah.
Her: We're packed.
Me: I'm not surprised. I guess we'll aim for March or April, instead.
Her: Sounds good!