Feb 2017
Nowhere

105B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Clearly having more guns would have prevented this from happening also

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43455550
Quote:
A 13-year-old girl in Mississippi has died after allegedly being shot by her nine-year-old brother over a video game, police say.

They said the boy grabbed a gun on Saturday afternoon after his sister would not give up the controller.

He allegedly shot her from behind, and the bullet entered her brain.
Obviously, they needed an armed babysitter!

Quote:
At least now he won't have to share the controller with her. So it is all good, right?
Hmm. A nine-year-old is too young to be tried as an adult. So he'll have to be set at liberty by age 21, assuming he isn't declared insane. And, if he's incarcerated rather than institutionalized, assuming he doesn't wind up on the wrong end of a fatal dispute while he's confined.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-25, 03:39   #431
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Hmm. A nine-year-old is too young to be tried as an adult. So he'll have to be set at liberty by age 21, assuming he isn't declared insane. And, if he's incarcerated rather than institutionalized, assuming he doesn't wind up on the wrong end of a fatal dispute while he's confined.
So how about a four-year-old instead?

But that is not the reason I came here to post. This is a work of fiction, unfortunately, but quite insightful IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://rewire.news/article/2018/03/05/buying-gun-like-getting-abortion/
It’s worth asking: What would a world look like where “pro-life” activists were as rabidly committed to protecting schoolchildren as they are to defending blastocysts?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-25, 04:18   #432
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236518 Posts

Quote:

But that is not the reason I came here to post. This is a work of fiction, unfortunately, but quite insightful IMO.
Indeed it is, Your Evility. Thanks for sharing!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-25, 15:01   #433
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

53×79 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
That Texas story has some real gems in it:

Quote:
KWTX-TV reported that there was a sign outside the home in Temple that warned people of weapons inside. The sign reads: “The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 14 hundred feet per second.”
Setting aside for the moment that "14 hundred feet per second" is not a time, the story doesn't give the 911 response time in this instance. Apparently, though, it didn't take very long for the gun to create an emergency.

But, to "how about a four-year-old?"

Quote:
Neighbor Adrian Martinez said he did not blame the family for what occurred.

"I'm not there to judge them, but in my family, it happened once with my cousin," Martinez told KXXV. "My cousin killed accidentally my other cousin. It happens. Accidents happen."
"Accidents happen?" Allowing a 4-year-old access to a loaded gun is on a par with handing an adult who's falling-down drunk the keys to a Ferrari and saying, "See how fast you can make it go."

It's not the four-year-old here (or the nine-year-old in the Mississippi case) who should be tried. It's the adults who so recklessly allowed young kids to get their hands on loaded guns.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://rewire.news/article/2018/03/05/buying-gun-like-getting-abortion/
It’s worth asking: What would a world look like where “pro-life” activists were as rabidly committed to protecting schoolchildren as they are to defending blastocysts?
That'll be the day...

Reminds me of a political cartoon many years ago, possibly one of "Feiffer's Fables." The character is saying in one frame, The pre-born are innocent and deserve our love. And, in the next, The post-born are guilty and deserve what they get.
Old 2018-04-02, 03:54   #434
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×1,201 Posts
Default Wrong "solution" to the problem

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ing-new-normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/31/shooter-drills-high-school-shooting-new-normal
Aikman teaches English, social justice and college readiness at a large public high school. “This is a very heavy time to be an American school teacher,” she said.

Staff and students are jumpy. “Whatever classroom I’m in I’m looking at how to exit in an emergency. That’s how we’re thinking now as teachers. What I could use to break a window, what I would use to barricade a door, how I would keep people quiet.”
Don't they know that having drills, and being taught to be scared an fearful are not solutions? Everyone knows the proper solution is to arm the school children and the teachers. More guns, moor guns, moar guns. Nothing could possibly go wrong.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-02, 15:32   #435
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015310 Posts

Nonsense. The solution is to turn schools into windowless reinforced concrete boxes, preferably underground. All persons entering are strip-searched and whole-body xrayed by armed guards in Bomb Squad full body armor. If the armor can look like Darth Vader, so much the better. Every entry candidate has already run a gauntlet of aggressive questioning by armed and armored persons who were discharged from ICE for excessive violence.

Fortunately, for the harried security staff, these procedures are only needed once a week, as everyone is put in 6x10 foot solitary "safety cells" after class. They are let out on Fridays, provided there have been no disciplinary incidents; in which case, the remains are incinerated with the rest of the garbage.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-04-02 at 15:39
Old 2018-04-02, 16:06   #436
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10000010110112 Posts

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ing-new-normal Don't they know that having drills, and being taught to be scared an fearful are not solutions? Everyone knows the proper solution is to arm the school children and the teachers. More guns, moor guns, moar guns. Nothing could possibly go wrong.
The closest I could find to this idea was a recent March 22 KNEP-TV local news story out of Pennsylvania:
Quote:
SCHUYLKILL COUNTY, Pa. -- There’s a rocky controversy when it comes to school safety in Schuylkill County.

The superintendent of the Blue Mountain School District is in the spotlight after telling lawmakers in Harrisburg his students protect themselves against potential school shooters with rocks.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.
In other recent Pennsylvania-related news, former US Senator Rick "Sanctus" Santorum, R-PA, suggested that students should learn CPR to deal with classroom shootings.

IMO, the buckets of river stones is a more practical idea.

But to the idea of actually arming students, I believe it would indeed solve the problem of classroom shootings:

[wavy lines, fade in to generic school board meeting]Next item on the agenda: All teachers willing to face a class room full of armed students, please raise your hands. Hmm, nobody? OK then. [wavy lines, fade out]

[Alice Cooper music]School's out, forever! ..."[/Alice Cooper music]

Problem solved!
Old 2018-04-02, 16:12   #437
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

Quote:
...they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned.....
Stoned like Superintendent Helsel must have [edit] been when he came up this security solution.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-04-02 at 21:50
Old 2018-04-02, 21:27   #438
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×72×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Stoned like Superintendent Helsel must have when he came up this security solution.
However in parts of the USA there is a history of people throwing stones for good causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/2ba45eec
The Deans fashioned their baseballs out of yarn or socks wound around a rock, or tape around an apple core, and used an old broom or hoe handle for a bat. Not able to afford shoes, they played barefooted most of the time. They strengthened their arms and sharpened their aim by throwing at squirrels while working in the fields.
The way I had been told, they hunted the squirrels for food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.thetimesnews.com/article/20120921/Business/309219871
There is a story that Hall of Fame pitcher Dizzy Dean honed his accuracy throwing rocks at squirrels. He threw left-handed, the natural righty said, because, “I throw so hard with my right hand that I squash them squirrels somethin’ terrible and they ain’t fit eatin’ then.”
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-02, 23:19   #439
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

418710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post

Quote:
...they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned.....
Stoned like Superintendent Helsel must have [edit] been when he came up this security solution.
I don't think the good Superintendent was stoned, or that his wits were otherwise addled. What I think he may have been was perhaps a bit fearful, and, perhaps more, desperate to come up with a plan of action to show his charges that there was at least something they could do, with what was readily available, to at least try to ward off a gunman bent on mass slaughter. He obviously isn't dumb enough to try to tell his charges that "it can't happen here." And he isn't dumb enough to let his charges think there isn't anything they can do except wait to be killed.

There isn't much a local school superintendent can do to prevent such an attack (other than, hopefully, encourage students and teachers to be vigilant for someone who seems apt to blow a gasket). There are many fearful things that can happen, which we have no way of preventing. The only reassurance we can draw when facing the prospect of a calamity, is that we have prepared for it as best we can. He has fulfilled his duty in providing that assurance.

And who knows? A hail of good-sized stones from a classroom of kids might actually help in stopping a gunman. A rock doesn't have to knock him out, or knock the weapon from his hand. It might be enough to stop him from shooting long enough for an adult to tackle him.
Old 2018-04-02, 23:31   #440
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts

Quote:

And who knows? A hail of good-sized stones from a classroom of kids might actually help in stopping a gunman. A rock doesn't have to knock him out, or knock the weapon from his hand. It might be enough to stop him from shooting long enough for an adult to tackle him.
The problem then is the rock won't knock down a 750 grain bullet at 2252 fps
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote