Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2017-12-09, 14:53   #386
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

418710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
And the ironic part is that everything would probably have been perfectly fine if they didn't find the gun. It is not as though the gun will suddenly climb out of the bag and start shooting holes in people. I believe that she did forget about the gun, because taking it knowingly would be more unbelievable IMO.
It does seem more likely she had forgotten about the gun than that she deliberately brought an unsecured, loaded gun into an international airport. A lack of criminal intent might get the charge dismissed, or knocked down to some minor infraction.

It is amusing, though, that the woman is a big "gun rights" advocate. I mean, with rights go responsibilities, and simply forgetting about a loaded gun in a bag one is bringing into an airport is IMHO less than responsible.

As to everything being fine if TSA hadn't found and reported the gun, that's probable. There are, however, some fun alternatives. For example, the TSA screener is having a bad day/week/month/year/life, detects the gun, and, instead of reporting it, decides to take it and use it to go ape.

Or a disgruntled airport or airline employee. Or perhaps a passing thief rifles through the bag, and takes the gun for the purpose of making some quick cash. Since the owner had forgotten about it, the theft might not have been detected until Something Very Bad happened with that gun; and if it had subsequently been recovered and traced, much hilarity would have ensued.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 15:31   #387
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

53·79 Posts

I finally got around to following up on a story from around Thanksgiving. I was surprised that no charges had been filed at the time. The wheels of justice turned a bit after that... Hunter charged after fatally shooting woman he mistook for deer
Old 2017-12-13, 17:12   #388
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I finally got around to following up on a story from around Thanksgiving. I was surprised that no charges had been filed at the time. The wheels of justice turned a bit after that... Hunter charged after fatally shooting woman he mistook for deer
The law was very firm, it
Took away his permit,
The worst punishment he ever endured.
It turned out there was a reason,
Cows were out of season,
And one of the hunters wasn’t insured.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 14:47   #389
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

53×79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The law was very firm, it
Took away his permit,
The worst punishment he ever endured.
It turned out there was a reason,
Cows were out of season,
And one of the hunters wasn’t insured.
Ah, yes, a favorite of my youth! My parents had a record called "Songs by Tom Lehrer," which I listened to many times. One of its offerings is The Hunting Song.
Old 2018-02-14, 20:56   #390
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

244268 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43063729
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43066226

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2018-02-14 at 20:57 Reason: Add another url
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-15, 14:38   #391
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

53·79 Posts

In the Florida school shooting, it seems Our Hero was an ex-student who had been expelled. Gee, and he seemed such a promising young man:

Quote:
Cruz appeared to have been involved in the high school's Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) program, as his name was listed under several awards in 2016, including academic achievement for maintaining an A grade in JROTC and B in remaining academic subjects, consistently presenting an outstanding appearance and outstanding conduct throughout school.
Hmm, is being an avid JROTC participant an indicator?

Or, perhaps, it's just another example of the NRA's motto

When life hands you a lemon, pull out a gun and start shooting
Old 2018-02-15, 14:58   #392
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,201 Posts

So we will see the tolerance level that USA is prepared to withstand before they change things. My guess is that we are nowhere near such a point yet. Because right now it seems the rhetoric is still "more guns to defend ourselves from people like Cruz". But that really means more guns in the hands of people like Cruz.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-15, 15:10   #393
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

177516 Posts

It seems that Cruz wasn't a Muslim, so that is okay then, just a normal shooting. Yay for the 2nd. But if Cruz was a Muslim the backlash would've been much more pronounced. It would have been labelled as a terrorist attack, and Muslim leaders would be called upon to apologise, and POTUS would be calling for the expulsion of all Muslims. Etc. So thankfully it was just some ordinary messed-up kid with an acceptable-religion, so nothing wrong here, everyone go out and buy more guns.
Old 2018-02-15, 15:12   #394
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

1,741 Posts

Quote:
So we will see the tolerance level that USA is prepared to withstand before they change things. My guess is that we are nowhere near such a point yet. Because right now it seems the rhetoric is still "more guns to defend ourselves from people like Cruz". But that really means more guns in the hands of people like Cruz.
But even that line doesn't work in this instance, because there were literally armed police officers on campus when the shooter started. And he still killed 17 people.

Here's how it'll go: 1) "Now isn't the time to talk about gun control." 2) Some token "concession" that quietly dies in the GOP-controlled Congress. 3) Repeat.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-15, 15:17   #395
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
But even that line doesn't work in this instance, because there were literally armed police officers on campus when the shooter started. And he still killed 17 people.
Yeah, so not enough guns were there. Everyone should have a gun, of course. And if there is ever a time when everyone does have a gun, then it will be everyone must have two guns. Etc. etc. etc.
Old 2018-02-15, 17:32   #396
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

Quote:
The US is light years away from sanity on guns. Roll out some more "Thoughts and Prayers®". Those seem to be Workin' Real Good.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote