Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts
Default Work Completed Offline after unreservation

Hey guys,
I'm at college, and have a comp at home that was reserving assignments in advance (it's happened before where the internet was unplugged but MPrime was running). I just unreserved all assignments except the two it was partially through, because I don't know when it will be back up again. If MPrime has been running this whole time and it reconnects, will PrimeNet reassign whatever work is in worktodo.txt? (I know that PrimeNet will accept any results, I just don't know if it will keep the work in progress.)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 09:14   #2
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Exponents which you have unreserved are no longer yours on PrimeNet. They can be assigned to someone else, and if they were originally assigned to you in the normal manner whereby PrimeNet chooses which work needs to be done as a priority then they may well have been reassigned almost as soon as you unreserved them. You can see if this has happened by going to
http://www.mersenne.org/report_exponent/

So, no, exponents are not reassigned to you just because you still have them in the worktodo.txt file. You can best remove the work which you unreserved from this file by deleting these lines before restarting mprime. (I understand that you had not started work on these exponents, so you are not losing any work here. And mprime, when you restart it, will reserve new work on PrimeNet as it requires it according to the preferences on your account.)

The two exponents which you left reserved can in theory be assigned to someone else if they are not being updated on PrimeNet after a period of 60 days. Again, the fact that they are in worktodo.txt will not make PrimeNet reassign them to you if this happens.

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2011-10-01 at 09:36 Reason: made clearer
Brian-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 14:29   #3
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7×167 Posts

In this situation, where an assignment has been partially completed, and you're sure that the computer will eventually be restored to activity, you can keep manually extending your assigments.

If an assignment hasn't been started, then it's best to unreserve it. You don't need to remove it from the worktodo, as this will happen automatically when the client next checks in.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 15:41   #4
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

53010 Posts

Getting to (what I think) the original question was: If you manually unreserve exponents you have in a worktodo file, the former will be removed from the latter once mprime is told they are no longer valid, as part of sending updated expected completion dates, and new assignments will eventually be reserved automatically thereafter.
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 19:15   #5
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

I meant that the exponents I unreserved may or may not have been going while it's been offline. I am not able to personally administer this computer, so it might have kept going on the exponents I unreserved, or it might be that MPrime is off. I have no way to tell which happened until my dad restores the computer to service.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 20:35   #6
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I meant that the exponents I unreserved may or may not have been going while it's been offline. I am not able to personally administer this computer, so it might have kept going on the exponents I unreserved, or it might be that MPrime is off. I have no way to tell which happened until my dad restores the computer to service.
Worst case scenario here is that you piss off the new assignee by completing the assignment before they do.

Intentional poaching is generally frowned upon. But I think we all realise that accidents sometimes happen. If/when you regain access to the computer, if you find that a significant portion of the assignment has been completed, that I would suggest that you allow it to complete.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote