mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2018-10-11, 13:04   #1
pacionet

Oct 2005
Italy

3×113 Posts
Default DC assignment

Why does server assign me, sometimes, a Double Check, even if I chose "Word Record Prime" in assignment preferences?
pacionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 13:10   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

481210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacionet View Post
Why does server assign me, sometimes, a Double Check, even if I chose "Word Record Prime" in assignment preferences?
It is explained on the asssignment rules section: the server will assign a double-check from time to time to grant the stability and reliability of the hardware.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 13:38   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

19·499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
from time to time to grant the stability and reliability
gauge or verify would be better words in English.

Basically checking a computer against another helps to show that things are running well. If there are mismatches, it is important that we get triple checks done quickly to verify who was right.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 13:51   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

22·3·401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
gauge or verify would be better words in English.

Basically checking a computer against another helps to show that things are running well. If there are mismatches, it is important that we get triple checks done quickly to verify who was right.
Yup, thanks Uncwilly I was thinking about "granting the user towards the stability of his/her machine", but the sentence was lost in translation and stopped in the keyboard buffer
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 15:12   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

116348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacionet View Post
Why does server assign me, sometimes, a Double Check, even if I chose "World Record Prime" in assignment preferences?
Some possibilities:

1) The system receiving the assignment has not yet completed a double check, so its reliability is untested and unknown.

2) It's been a long time since the system has completed a double check. Hardware reliability changes with time. A system reliable last year may not be this year; may be less reliable next year; etc.

3) Something may have gone wrong and primenet got confused about the identity of the system. (Sometimes it thinks one machine is two different machines. The alias may have not had any double checks recorded associated with it.) Check your account's CPUs listing to see if any cpu duplication/splitting has occurred. See the "Merge checked cpus" button at bottom left.

4) Primenet enforces certain assignment rules. It may decline to assign world record prime runs to systems that would need more than a year to complete one, and issue shorter work of a different type instead. See https://www.mersenne.org/thresholds/

5) If running PRP with Gerbicz check, and the system reliability declines, increasing recomputation of the same iterations after a Gerbicz check detects errors, lowering the computed rate of progress and increasing time to completion, Primenet may revoke the assignment if it determines the estimated remaining run time increases to more than a year. I've seen this happen on one of my systems, which has been powered down as too unreliable for use. Logging of such errors will show up in the mprime/prime95 results file

6) (whatever reasons I'm not thinking of right now)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2018-10-11 at 15:24
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 16:26   #6
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2·29·53 Posts

This is the default setting:
"Your account is set for each computer to perform at least one matching double-check yearly to ensure the computer is operating properly. Highly recommended."
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote