mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2022-10-06, 21:36   #34
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

11×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
On one of my 2 unpaid Colab accounts I have not seen a GPU in about a week (but have been getting 2 concurrent sessions, which is a change). On the other, no problem, T4 all the time.
This happens regularly to my free accounts - an account will not be able to get a GPU for a period ranging from 3 days to 20 days, but then it will go back to normal after that. None of my other accounts are affected while this happens. The first couple days after it can get GPU again the sessions may be shorter or longer than they were before, but within a couple days it goes back to normal.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-06, 22:15   #35
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

65538 Posts

Strange, on my free account I have been able to get a T4 roughly every 24 hours for 3-4 hours regularly for a long time (except when I forget to try).
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-06, 23:08   #36
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32×1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Strange, on my free account I have been able to get a T4 roughly every 24 hours for 3-4 hours regularly for a long time (except when I forget to try).
Ditto. Ten different accounts / Notebooks.

Edit: Also, a CPU whenever I ask for them. Up to 12 hours each.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-10-06 at 23:10
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-06, 23:28   #37
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

3×5×229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Ditto. Ten different accounts / Notebooks.

Edit: Also, a CPU whenever I ask for them. Up to 12 hours each.
Getting a CPU on the same account does that limit your GPU access? I have been wondering that but haven't tested it.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-07, 01:39   #38
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Getting a CPU on the same account does that limit your GPU access? I have been wondering that but haven't tested it.
Not at all. Basically, I can (if I'm pulling an all-nighter) get ~3 hours of GPU and ~21 hours of CPU each day for all of the accounts. And, actually, when the GPU becomes available for the day the CPU instance continues for almost exactly an hour before being killed.
Old 2022-10-07, 07:45   #39
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

23×5×257 Posts

To add some more info:

Running two "premium" GPUs will "cost" you 7.6 compute units per hour. YMMV, depending on the server you connect to, or availability, bid/ask, or whatever (this is just a guess), but it means, with a pro plus (50 bucks for 500 cu) you can go as long as 65 hours or so. Which, again, sucks, considering that now, to get to the same "performance" we used to, i.e. run two "premium" GPUs almost continuous, chained for 30 days, you will have to pay about 11 times more (720 hours per month divided by 65 hours per 50 bucks), i.e. be prepared to part with ~550 bucks.

We were lucky to get two "premiums" overnight, and that's how we know, but they only lasted until the remaining ~18 CU's of this month went to zero (a bit longer actually, it seems like they don't check in real time, nor get a feedback/non-maskable-interrupt-line when this happens, so the notebooks may run few [minutes|hours|?] longer. Maybe subject to availability, when other people with more CU's request it.

Now, we are butt-naked again, no GPUs and no CU's.
We don't think we will continue in this conditions...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-10-07 at 07:51
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-07, 17:00   #40
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
We were lucky to get two "premiums" overnight, and that's how we know, but they only lasted until the remaining ~18 CU's of this month went to zero (a bit longer actually, it seems like they don't check in real time, nor get a feedback/non-maskable-interrupt-line when this happens, so the notebooks may run few [minutes|hours|?] longer. Maybe subject to availability, when other people with more CU's request it.
Interesting on the credits thing being introduced on the Pro tier.

This /might/ have already been experimented with on the Free tier. To offer my empirical... While I was traveling several of my Notebooks were not launched. After two weeks those who hadn't been used in a while were given longer than nominal GPU periods, and for the first day or two would actually allow two GPU launches in a single day.

I'm sure they enjoy watching us as much as we do trying to figure out their algorithms... To me, it's worth the free compute! 8-)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-10-07 at 17:01 Reason: Poor parsing language.
Old 2022-11-12, 03:45   #41
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

240508 Posts

Update: my former 7.x cu/h for "premium" card(s) was for P100. Don't know if still actual.
Few minutes ago I paid the 10.7 bucks (0.7 is the VAT) for a "pay as you go" 100 cu's, which I need for few hours (not prime-related), got the A100-40GB "first strike" (beginner's luck!), and the cu's go down with a rate of 13.16 cu/hour. This is only one card, one session, and it doesn't seem to depend of what you are doing with it. If you don't use it, you have to close the session completely and the rate goes to zero. So I don't believe it will last long enough to try running any owls, but I may give a try with GPU72 TF towards the end.

I assume V100 is in between.

much later edit: one A100 to run, costs 13.08 cu/h, regardless of what you do with it. In the case above, the additional 0.08 came from another, forgotten CPU-only session which was running in background from a different computer.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-11-13 at 09:37
Old 2022-11-12, 10:01   #42
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

23·5·257 Posts

@Chris: something is smelly again with that A100 on your side - it couldn't get any assignments... I wanted to put the last cu's on GPU72, but the loop you know, was rolling and rolling... Aren't any assignment available on your side? Or the old version (before A100 fix) is back?
Old 2022-11-12, 19:00   #43
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
@Chris: something is smelly again with that A100 on your side - it couldn't get any assignments...
@LaurV... Yes... Google Colab "regressed" a while ago such that the free tier was no longer compatible with the version I build for you while you were giving me access to Pro. It was fine when I deployed it.

This is documented somewhere here on the Forum...

Sorry... I just don't have time at the moment to deal with this.
Old 2022-11-13, 09:36   #44
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

240508 Posts

Absolutely no problem if it was "intentional" or at least "known". My concern was that is could be SPE. I don't need any fix right now, let it be till you get the time and mood for it. I only bought (and used) an A100 for few hours, I don't grow them in my garden... (albeit I would like to...)