mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2022-07-30, 13:14   #1
tdulcet

"Teal Dulcet"
Jun 2018

1068 Posts
Default GIMPS Opener browser extention

A common problem I frequently experience is that people (myself included) post exponent numbers on websites like this forum and in e-mails without linking them to the respective mersenne.org exponent page.

I wrote a simple browser extension that solves this by allowing users to quickly open these 2P-1 exponent numbers on either mersenne.org or mersenne.ca by just selecting them and opening the context menu. It also allows users to type exponent numbers directly in their address bar (using the exp keyword).

It supports opening multiple exponents in single page on mersenne.ca. It also supports exponents with an optional M prefix and optional comma or space digit separators and it ignores numbers that are not prime. It is very customizable and supports opening the exponents in a new tab or window and in the background, among many other options. See the attached screenshots for more information.

The repository is here: https://github.com/tdulcet/GIMPS-Opener and it is currently available for download for Firefox from addons.mozilla.org (AMO) and for Thunderbird from addons.thunderbird.net (ATN). It requires at least Firefox 78 or Thunderbird 91. Feedback is welcome. It is based on another extension I wrote called Bug Opener to open bug/issue numbers on various issue trackers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox single.png
Views:	13
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	27140   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox multiple.png
Views:	11
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	27141   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox omnibox.png
Views:	8
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	27142   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox options.png
Views:	8
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	27143  
tdulcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-30, 13:17   #2
tdulcet

"Teal Dulcet"
Jun 2018

2·5·7 Posts

I suspect someone will probably ask if it supports Chrome/Chromium. The short answer is yes, but it is not (yet) on the Chrome Web Store, so I would recommend using it in Firefox.

The longer answer is that the Chrome Web Store requires a $5 fee and they also require new add-ons to use something called Manifest V3, which breaks many extensions including this one. For more information about why that is bad, see this article from the EFF (the same organization that sponsors the Cooperative Computing Awards). Anyway, Chrome/Chromium still allows users to locally install Manifest V2 add-ons (what this extension uses). If anyone really wants to do that, here are instructions:
  1. Download it with this command:
    git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/tdulcet/GIMPS-Opener.git
  2. As instructed on the README:
    1. Download the webextension-polyfill (specifically download the browser-polyfill.js file from here to your directory from step 1. above).
    2. Rename the chromemanifest.json file to manifest.json.
  3. Then follow these instructions (steps 1-3 in the middle of the page) to install it in Chrome/Chromium.
tdulcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-30, 14:59   #3
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

22×11 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for this development. I already downloaded and installed the add-on. This comes really handy and works smoothly from what I've seen so far.

I would still encourage people to use the JSON result converter by James https://www.mersenne.ca/json2bbcode.php for posting result lines here in the forum as it already provides both links to mersenne.org and mersenne.ca and formats the results in an informative way.

But for all the other occasions where just an exponent is named this tool saves some clicks, is straight forward and easy-to-use.

I really appreciate the effort spent on this and all the other tools and the open-minded sharing of ideas and tools in this community in general. Thanks sincerely.
Flaukrotist is offline   Reply With Quote