mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Reading

Old 2022-04-02, 16:07   #1
jwaltos

18F616 Posts
Default Computer Magazines

In the past I had a subscription to Byte (had the first issue!) and now I only have the book with selected articles which is still a good reference. Later, Dr. Dobbs was a regular newsstand purchase. Presently, 2600 is a regular purchase. I was watching "The Report" and read the current issue last night, both the movie and this issue are recommended and kind-of go together.
Old 2022-04-02, 16:40   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

247728 Posts

I bought a few issues of a Commodore specific magazine back in the day. Also bought a few issues of PC Magazine. I remember the ads for v-Bow disk spanning software, among others.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-02, 20:46   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

24·719 Posts

I still have a subscription to Linux Format. The only rag worth buying, IMO, in these days of the interweb thingy.

DDJ was good back in the day when it was printed on cheap paper (and when it still mentioned calisthenics and orthodontia). It went glossy and essentially worthless.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2022-04-02 at 20:58 Reason: Added parenthesized material.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-02, 21:52   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1067910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I still have a subscription to Linux Format. The only rag worth buying, IMO, in these days of the interweb thingy.
Along the same lines, I have found LWN.net to be worth attention. The editor is also a kernel developer.

And... Ah... The fond memories of the old print magazines. They were gold!

Tangentially, who here remembers the early Omni? Thought-provoking in many, many different domains. Scientific American, etc et al. Wired...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-02, 22:10   #5
jwaltos

1101001000102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Tangentially, who here remembers the early Omni? Thought-provoking in many, many different domains. Scientific American, etc et al. Wired...
Yep, read Omni also but it was less of an instruction manual and had much more prose. In tandem, I also read the other magazine by the Guccione's..for the articles which definitely stoked the imagination.

Just finished watching "The Courier" where Cumberbatch shone as an actor in this docu-drama; just before the credits start scrolling is something I'm glad made it onto the screen.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2022-04-02 at 22:15 Reason: I could have added the "little letter "r"" but didn't.
Old 2022-04-02, 22:25   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

24·719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Along the same lines, I have found LWN.net to be worth attention. The editor is also a kernel developer.
Thanks. Now bookmarked.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote