mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2011-11-10, 07:56   #45
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I an currently running around half and half, but as soon as my current (massive) batch of TF-DC is done, I'm gonna stop that. About a month ago the assignments were half as long, but this batch I have at least is pushing what I see as the "worth-it" boundary. (That is to say, I'm eliminating no more than the same amount of factors for DC as for LL, and the theoretical breakeven point is when I find twice as many DC factors as LL factors; that point is long gone.)
Could you persuade ckdo to board the first
time LL train?
I've already tried in vain.

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2011-11-10 at 08:12
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 07:59   #46
Ethan (EO)

"Ethan O'Connor"
Oct 2002
GIMPS since Jan 1996

2×72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Penny wise, pound foolish.

DCs for the foreseeable future are already TFed to 68.
LLs should accordingly be TFed to 72.
They ain't.
(edited to close quote markup)
I agree completely. That's why I've put so much GPU time into LL the front in GPU to 72.

But to put this in perspective, when I started with GIMPS the LL front was in exponents about 10x those at the DC tail. The ratio of the LL front to the DC tail is now closer to 2.5 to 1, and I would like it to stay there or better.

For me, a lot of the aesthetic value of this project lies not only in answering questions of mind boggling complexity, but in striving to answer them correctly, with reliable confidence levels. In many ways I'd be more excited if a prime popped up in the DCs than if we were to find a new record prime. I want to measure and monitor the error rate over time, with as little latency as possible. And I want to see the DC tail move up as rapidly as possible.

I'll be splitting my time between the two whether or not there's automation enabling the DC factoring work, but if it was made available I'd take advantage of it with a lot of appreciation :)

ethan

Last fiddled with by Ethan (EO) on 2011-11-10 at 07:59
Ethan (EO) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 08:03   #47
frmky

Jul 2003
So Cal

23·52·13 Posts

Quote:
PS note the correct usage of "already" you
Newspeak guys.
Come off it already!
frmky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 13:59   #48
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×5×739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan (EO) View Post
That's why I've put so much GPU time into LL the front in GPU to 72.
You're not kidding!!! How many GPUs have you got, anyway??? Gotta get me one; right now my main workstation is a laptop, so I need to acquire an entire new computer to do so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan (EO) View Post
I'll be splitting my time between the two whether or not there's automation enabling the DC factoring work, but if it was made available I'd take advantage of it with a lot of appreciation :)
While I agree with davieddy that the work should be focused on the LL wavefront, I also agree with the philosophy of GIMPS project which says that people should work on whatever they enjoy doing.

Therefore, I will be providing a DC TF worktype in the near future. Each worker will be able to request whatever worktype they want -- the system will not decide for them.

Edit: I forgot to mention -- the system now has a formal P-1 work type which petrw1 and a few others are using. It's available as a sub-menu on the "Get Assignments" menu. And to put davieddy's mind at ease, his assignment was changed to be a P-1 type -- he'll not be doing any CPU TF work on it.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2011-11-10 at 14:18
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 15:38   #49
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3·1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Edit: I forgot to mention -- the system now has a formal P-1 work type which petrw1 and a few others are using. It's available as a sub-menu on the "Get Assignments" menu.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 18:38   #50
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Could you persuade ckdo to board the first
time LL train?
I've already tried in vain.

David
What chalsall and Ethan said. They're free to do as they please, and they are still certainly making a contribution.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 05:38   #51
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
What chalsall and Ethan said. They're free to do as they please, and they are still certainly making a contribution.
Comparisons are odious

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:32   #52
KyleAskine

Oct 2011
Maryland

12216 Posts
Default P-1s

It looks like you might not be picking up when P-1s are finishing. I finished M47895521 a while ago, and it isn't showing up on the website.

It also took it to lower bounds than I would have liked. B2 was under 10M, when I am actually around 20M a lot. Is this because of the higher than usual TF?
KyleAskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:38   #53
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3·1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAskine View Post
It looks like you might not be picking up when P-1s are finishing. I finished M47895521 a while ago, and it isn't showing up on the website.
I can answer the first part....from a PM from CHALSALL a couple hours ago:

Quote:
by early evening my spider will be extended to automatically pick up and report these results.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 18:26   #54
KyleAskine

Oct 2011
Maryland

2·5·29 Posts

Also, I wonder when more are going to be available. Is it just as exponents are TF'ed to 72, or is there a manual step in there?

I get nervous when I have under a couple day's worth queued up.
KyleAskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 20:36   #55
Ethan (EO)

"Ethan O'Connor"
Oct 2002
GIMPS since Jan 1996

2·72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
You're not kidding!!! How many GPUs have you got, anyway??? Gotta get me one; right now my main workstation is a laptop, so I need to acquire an entire new computer to do so...
Village Instruments makes ExpressCard external GPU enclosures :) http://www.villageinstruments.com/ti...hp?page=ViDock

They run $199 to $279 though -- so it's sort of on the bubble in terms of value vs. an inexpensive new system.
Ethan (EO) is offline   Reply With Quote