mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2011-11-09, 17:41   #34
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Our discussion had nothing to do with TF bit levels, just that him getting P-1 assignments this way would remarkably reduce his P-1 throughput.

As for what we're doing, it is at the wavefront, or rather, what the wavefront has missed. We are only TF'ing exponents that have had no LL tests.

We are already doing everything we can for TF. I personally don't go to 72 in one go because I can get many more exponents through if I don't go as high. (Though as it stands chalsall is holding assignments until they get to 71, keeping in mind that we're 5-10M lower than what you're talking about.)

Also, those TF's to 72 bits are only available through manual testing, so only we will get them. As soon as chalsall's spider is unable to saturate us, then we will move higher up the chain.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:48   #35
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22·2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I may frequently act the buffoon, but I can be serious.
Then please be so here.

Quote:
The progress of the wavefront relies on tens of thousands of cores LL testing to completion (even if slowly in some cases). Why should us few "reliable and enthusiastic" folk hog all the low exponents?
Because we can. In an organized, coordinated, cooperative, automated and "legal" way.

And because it is actually good for GIMPS.

I would argue you cannot look at the Workers Progress report and say we're not having a positive effect. Already 24 factors found; approximately 54 LL/DC tests saved at the back end of the "LL Wavefront".

Quote:
We should be selflessly assisting the vast majority of participants by TFing the assignments to the max.
That is what this sub-project is all about.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 22:37   #36
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Our discussion had nothing to do with TF bit levels, just that him getting P-1 assignments this way would remarkably reduce his P-1 throughput.
I apologise for quoting your sensible discussion.
It just triggered my serious rant.
You are right. P-1 stands a ~5% chance of finding
a factor, while one bit of TF stands ~1%.

The subtle reason for doing P-1 before
the "last bit or two" of TF has flown out of the
window since GPUs came on the scene.

We CPUs can do a decent P-1.
We shouldn't get out of bed to do the "last bit" of TF.

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2011-11-09 at 22:40
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 23:04   #37
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Then please be so here.
Lets get serious
David

PS I love your tool.

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2011-11-09 at 23:27
Old 2011-11-10, 00:47   #38
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I would argue you cannot look at the Workers Progress report and say we're not having a positive effect. Already 24 factors found; approximately 54 LL/DC tests saved at the back end of the "LL Wavefront".
Also add in the two factors that I've found in the last couple of days, clearing out the massive dump Mr. P-1 gave me before this project went up.
Old 2011-11-10, 01:26   #39
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2·3·151 Posts
Default TFing before double check?

Now that this is up and running without (as far as I can see) any hitches, is there any interest in incorporating ckdo's TF before DC into the process? Do others see this project as worthwhile?

I still have about 770 exponents in the 28.9M range I am taking from 68 to 69.

Chuck
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 02:46   #40
diamonddave

Feb 2004

25·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Now that this is up and running without (as far as I can see) any hitches, is there any interest in incorporating ckdo's TF before DC into the process? Do others see this project as worthwhile?
Personally, I'm dividing my GPU time between DC-TF (roughly 500 exp to 69) and GPU to 72, so count me in as someone interested.
diamonddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 03:48   #41
KyleAskine

Oct 2011
Maryland

12216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Personally, I'm dividing my GPU time between DC-TF (roughly 500 exp to 69) and GPU to 72, so count me in as someone interested.
Works for me too. Whatever the GPU to 72 system gives me, I am quite happy with. Whether it is factoring for a first time test, or a DC does not matter to me!
KyleAskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 04:57   #42
Ethan (EO)

"Ethan O'Connor"
Oct 2002
GIMPS since Jan 1996

9810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

I still have about 770 exponents in the 28.9M range I am taking from 68 to 69.

Chuck
I'd love to have DC factoring included in GPU to 72; it may only save one LL test, and it slightly reduces our insight into the reliability of LL tests, but for me personally it is very appealing.

Ethan (EO)
Ethan (EO) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 05:49   #43
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan (EO) View Post
I'd love to have DC factoring included in GPU to 72; it may only save one LL test, and it slightly reduces our insight into the reliability of LL tests, but for me personally it is very appealing.

Ethan (EO)
Penny wise, pound foolish.

DCs for the foreseeable future are already TFed to 68.
LLs should accordingly be TFed to 72.
They ain't.

David

PS note the correct usage of "already" you
Newspeak guys.

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2011-11-10 at 06:16
Old 2011-11-10, 07:29   #44
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

I an currently running around half and half, but as soon as my current (massive) batch of TF-DC is done, I'm gonna stop that. About a month ago the assignments were half as long, but this batch I have at least is pushing what I see as the "worth-it" boundary. (That is to say, I'm eliminating no more than the same amount of factors for DC as for LL, and the theoretical breakeven point is when I find twice as many DC factors as LL factors; that point is long gone.)

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2011-11-10 at 07:30