Old 2012-03-04, 20:28   #1
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×3×17×47 Posts
Default Upgrading Ubuntu from 9.04 to 11.04

I was trying to update my Ubuntu desktop system from version 9.04 to 11.04.
The update would let me install the new CUDA 4.1 drivers and packages, I'm actually running version 3.0.

Too late I noticed that v.9.04 is not maintained anymore, and that the update manager can't get the info from the Internet.

I heard about some "alternate" installation CD: is it safe?

Meanwhile, I downloaded the three ISO 11.04:

- CD
- Alternate CD
- DVD

The question is: is there a way to update my system without formatting everything?

Thank you for your time.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 20:41   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Keep in mind that 11.10 is the most recent version, and 12.04 will be out in less than two months. If you can, I'd actually upgrade to 10.04; Unity is a piece of crap interface, and 10.04 will be supported longer than 11.04, as the former is an LTS.

Whether or not your current installation is maintained or not shouldn't affect the upgrade process; however, as I recall, you can only update one version at a time, and 9.10 is not maintained either.

I did just find the "alternate install"; it seems that that's what you want to do a proper upgrade. Again, I'd recommend 10.04, because it will be supported longer than 11.04.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 02:20   #3
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

33·7 Posts

I believe that in Ubuntu, you can only upgrade between adjacent releases, with the exception of LTS to LTS. The nearest LTS to you is 10.04. You could upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, then 9.10 to 10.04.

As Dubslow mentions, there is a major UI change in going to the most recent releases. You may or may not like it.

Anyway, once you have reached 10.04, you can elect to stay there, continue single stepping up to latest, or you can wait until the release of 12.04. The LTS releases (every two years), you can go directly from one to the next.

For better information, I recommend you see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes ... it should lead you to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Jaunty which will explain how to accomplish what I recommended above.

The good news is that you should not need to reformat to do this upgrade! Hurray!

Good luck, please let us know how it works for you and what you wind up deciding on.
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 05:22   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

I was wondering, because it says the "alternate images" can be used for offline upgrades, so what happens if you try and use a 10.04 alternate disc on a 9.04 install? Will it just outright reject the upgrade, run but not work, or work just fine? (Could it be used as a way to downgrade 11.04 to 10.04? )
Old 2012-03-05, 09:55   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×3×17×47 Posts

Thank you for your answers!

I'll read through the links you gave me, then I'll make my decision.

Luigi
Old 2012-03-05, 10:18   #6
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·3·17·47 Posts
Talking

Now that I think about it, you both use CUDA...

What Linux configuration did you choose for CUDA environment?

Luigi
Old 2012-03-05, 14:49   #7
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

10000111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
The question is: is there a way to update my system without formatting everything?
I have always found the thought of upgrading frightening, whatever the OS is. No upgrade will leave the system in a clean state.

I just reinstall, which doesn't mean reformatting. Of course that also means you need to have your /home directory in a separate partition or disk from / directory. If you have such a setup, reinstalling is no harder and no longer than upgrading (just did it yesterday going from Fedora 12 to Mint Linux). If you don't, then backup your home (you should do that anyway before upgrading) and install your new OS using a separate partition for /home.

Another nice trick is to create a new user so that you get correct default configuration files and then transfer what you need from your old account.

HTH
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 15:05   #8
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×3×17×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
I have always found the thought of upgrading frightening, whatever the OS is. No upgrade will leave the system in a clean state.

I just reinstall, which doesn't mean reformatting. Of course that also means you need to have your /home directory in a separate partition or disk from / directory. If you have such a setup, reinstalling is no harder and no longer than upgrading (just did it yesterday going from Fedora 12 to Mint Linux). If you don't, then backup your home (you should do that anyway before upgrading) and install your new OS using a separate partition for /home.

Another nice trick is to create a new user so that you get correct default configuration files and then transfer what you need from your old account.

HTH
Thank you for the advice!

Obviously, when I backup the /home folder I'll have to remove the .config file... and using a different user would trash Thunderbird settings.

Anyway, I'll try that procedure as soon as I get some space for the backup.

Luigi
Old 2012-03-05, 16:43   #9
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Well that's the point, you can do something like
Code:
cp /data/home/.thdbcfg /home/.thdbcfg
, or whatever is the right location.

As for my CUDA, I have a SDK setup somewhere, but I never use it. For mfaktc/CUDALucas, I use something like
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib taskset ./mfaktc
, where ./lib contains the necessary .so files.
Old 2012-03-05, 20:04   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,753 Posts

Quote:
Been there, done that, just come out of a ten-day nightmare upgrading a pair of mission-critical systems. The most time-consuming portion was migrating >250GB in several million files from one 1TB USB disk to another so that BackupPC could continue to work properly. Have you any idea how long dumping, transferring and extracting that number of files takes? Once extracted, have you ever tried setting user and group ownerships? After having done that, do you know how long it takes to restore their SELinux contexts? It took me the best part of a week. Did you know that Fedora 16 and the latest Samba have a shared bug such that back-ups via BackupPC fail miserably for Windoze clients? That's why the backup sub-system had to be migrated from the machine upgraded from F14 to F16 to another which had only reached as far as F15.

Even attempting an upgrade was fraught. I found out too late that pre-upgrade on a Fedora system doesn't work if the system boots from a mirrored disk. All RAID variants just plain don't work and you have to download an ISO image, burn it and then upgrade from that.

A few weeks ago I tried to upgrade another F14 machine. That one failed even to boot after the bootloader had been upgraded from grub to grub2. I gave up and installed OpenBSD instead. Luckily it was a pure compute server and so had very little state worth preserving.

This post more properly belongs in the Unhappy Me thread, IMAO.

Quote:
Not quite true, in my experience. For days, possibly months, after a reinstall I find that various obscure configuration needs to be replicated. Stuff like restoring /etc/hosts from backups usually shows up earlier than later. Other stuff, like performance tweaks for obscure services, can take ages to find and replace.
Quote:
Another nice trick is to create a new user so that you get correct default configuration files and then transfer what you need from your old account
Useful tip. I've used the process on occasion though usually in desparation.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2012-03-05 at 20:05
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote