mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Other Mathematical Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-12, 11:36   #1
blob100
 
Jan 2010

37910 Posts
Default Recommendations (courses)

I don't know where this is needed to be posted (the thread),
But it may be removed to another sub-forum with my permission.

Next year (in a few month) I'm going to start my B.A.
I'm interested which intro. courses may be the best to start with.

Thanks Tomer.
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 16:09   #2
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blob100 View Post
I don't know where this is needed to be posted (the thread),
But it may be removed to another sub-forum with my permission.

Next year (in a few month) I'm going to start my B.A.
I'm interested which intro. courses may be the best to start with.

Thanks Tomer.
I thought that you were only 14?

Noone can answer this question without knowing what you intend to
study!

What University are you intending? Surely you will have an advisor
who knows the curriculum better than anyone here.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 16:55   #3
blob100
 
Jan 2010

379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
I thought that you were only 14?

Noone can answer this question without knowing what you intend to
study!

What University are you intending? Surely you will have an advisor
who knows the curriculum better than anyone here.
I am 14 years old,
I participated in a preparatory program this year (for secondary school students who interested in learning university materials) in TAU (Tel-Aviv University).
for none missunderstanding: I still learn in secondary school,
So I may not finish the B.A on the next three years.
But I wish to finish the First year or some more.

Don't you know what I intend to study,
I told you that I want to learn pure mathematics

The question isn't about which path to take, I was talking about which courses are the best to be taken in my situation.

Thanks Tomer.
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 04:04   #4
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blob100 View Post
Don't you know what I intend to study,
I told you that I want to learn pure mathematics
I don't think it's feasible to learn all of pure mathematics -- maybe two or three centuries ago, but not now.

Here's a list of areas of mathematics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics

Which ones interest you more than others?

(Here's a different classification of mathematics subjects, but it was developed for the specific purpose of classifying mathematical papers submitted to journals, though it's also the starting point for the first list:
http://msc2010.org/mscwiki/index.php?title=MSC2010 )

Quote:
The question isn't about which path to take, I was talking about which courses are the best to be taken in my situation.
But the course recommendations depend on what path you intend to take.

You can take introductory courses in a variety of areas, but unless you want to be a professional classifier of mathematical areas you'll need to focus on specific areas for advanced courses. Getting from where you are to the frontier of some area will take time. (If you're creative enough to invent a new area ... then our recommendations might not be any help to you.)

Help us to help you, by telling us which areas or subjects within mathematics most interest you.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-06-13 at 04:21
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 07:03   #5
blob100
 
Jan 2010

379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I don't think it's feasible to learn all of pure mathematics -- maybe two or three centuries ago, but not now.

Here's a list of areas of mathematics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics

Which ones interest you more than others?

(Here's a different classification of mathematics subjects, but it was developed for the specific purpose of classifying mathematical papers submitted to journals, though it's also the starting point for the first list:
http://msc2010.org/mscwiki/index.php?title=MSC2010 )

But the course recommendations depend on what path you intend to take.

You can take introductory courses in a variety of areas, but unless you want to be a professional classifier of mathematical areas you'll need to focus on specific areas for advanced courses. Getting from where you are to the frontier of some area will take time. (If you're creative enough to invent a new area ... then our recommendations might not be any help to you.)

Help us to help you, by telling us which areas or subjects within mathematics most interest you.
Here is what I interested in:
Number Theory.
Algebraic Number theory.
Topology.
Mathematical Logic/Proof theory.
I'm interested in Brent and Shanks' work (mostly conjectures) in number theory which isn't the classical number theory (functions, infinitesimal arithmetic, etc.).
Calculus (It isn't an area I in'love with, I think it is just an area must be mastered for every mathematician).
Group theory (Credit to Silverman who showed me how special this area is).
Group theory with appliciations into number theory.
Analysis as Calculus must be taught too.
Numerical Analysis.

I may devide these into three categories:
1) Number theory and it's applications.
2) must be taught.
3) Topology and mathematical logic (remainders).

Thanks.
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 07:07   #6
blob100
 
Jan 2010

379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post

(If you're creative enough to invent a new area ... then our recommendations might not be any help to you.)

.
Why is that, everything new is based on past areas.
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 07:26   #7
cmd
 
cmd's Avatar
 
"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

17478 Posts
Lightbulb binary=rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by blob100 View Post
Why is that, everything new is based on past areas.
1+1=10
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 09:08   #8
cmd
 
cmd's Avatar
 
"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

33×37 Posts
Thumbs up u

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
1+1=10
1
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 16:39   #9
blob100
 
Jan 2010

379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
1+1=10
Again?
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 15:13   #10
blob100
 
Jan 2010

379 Posts
Default

Anyone would like to help me here?
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 15:51   #11
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

23·5·59 Posts
Default

Is there an online course listing we can look at?
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stanford Online Courses wblipp Lounge 9 2016-01-13 23:36
need recommendations for a PC ixfd64 Hardware 45 2012-11-14 01:19
Should I buy The Joy of Mathematics DVD from The Great Courses? stathmk Information & Answers 14 2012-10-08 18:56
Hardware recommendations Mr. Odd Factoring 12 2011-11-19 00:32
FREE MIT COURSES lpmurray Math 5 2007-01-07 04:09

All times are UTC. The time now is 15:22.

Thu Jan 28 15:22:11 UTC 2021 up 56 days, 11:33, 0 users, load averages: 3.89, 3.56, 3.40

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.