mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2008-08-30, 08:58   #1
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

11·937 Posts
Default Response to MooooMoo about k=241...

Kosmaj has a habit of deleting posts in the RPS thread so here is a response to a question posed by MooooMoo in one of their threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooooMoo View Post
So does this mean that I (or any other individual) can reserve k=241? Just wondering, because that k is not listed as available on the www.rieselprime.org page.

Suit yourself Mike. We don't get upset about such things.

Wouldn't it be faster for you in the long run for us to sieve it and then you search it yourself? We'll have all of them sieved in < 2 months. That's what we offer is excellently sieved files for all k's. All that we ask is that if you use our sieve file that you report them as Primesearch.

If you'd like to reserve it and sieve it yourself, I'm sure that Karsten would add your name on the reservation and our effort would, in effect, become a double-check...not a big deal to us. 5-10% of our efforts are double-checks anyway. If you sieve it, of course you can then feel free to report it under any project that you want or none at all.

We're easy to get along with and don't take offense to people searching however and wherever they like. We just aim to fill in holes and gaps as the project says 'No prime left behind'.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-08-30 at 09:56
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:12   #2
MooooMoo
Apprentice Crank

Mar 2006

2·227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Wouldn't it be faster for you in the long run for us to sieve it and then you search it yourself? We'll have all of them sieved in < 2 months. That's what we offer is excellently sieved files for all k's. All that we ask is that if you use our sieve file that you report them as Primesearch.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think I'll stick with this k as long as I did with k=19 - right now, I'm only interested in testing it until I find a new prime. That means I'll only be sieving a small range, maybe 600K-800K or so. In that case, it might be better for me to sieve it myself since small ranges finish faster than large ones.

If I do change my mind and decide to continue with k=241, then I'll probably let you guys take over the sieving. In that case, the first new k=241 prime that I find will be reported under RPS, while any additional primes will be reported as Primesearch.
MooooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:56   #3
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

11×937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooooMoo View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think I'll stick with this k as long as I did with k=19 - right now, I'm only interested in testing it until I find a new prime. That means I'll only be sieving a small range, maybe 600K-800K or so. In that case, it might be better for me to sieve it myself since small ranges finish faster than large ones.

If I do change my mind and decide to continue with k=241, then I'll probably let you guys take over the sieving. In that case, the first new k=241 prime that I find will be reported under RPS, while any additional primes will be reported as Primesearch.

Works for us. Thanks much for letting us know.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote