Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > chalsall

Old 2021-09-26, 15:58   #12
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101010101110112 Posts

One of the bigger issues was that, way back then, only Debian and Ubuntu would run headless according to anything I could find through research and trial.[/QUOTE]Gentoo.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-26, 17:39   #13
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

577110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
An Ubuntu trend that has really started to annoy me is the increasing "Ubuntu needs to restart to finish" messages after normal upgrades. Try running into that all the time for an entire set of machines across a varied crop computer farm.
And presumably each additional Ubuntu based VM, which may be kept around for testing in differing environments or whatever. How MS-ish of them.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-26, 18:11   #14
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Gentoo.
I must admit to never having tried Gentoo (that I remember). Not sure why. Now, Ubuntu is so ingrained, I'm just running with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
. . . How MS-ish of them.
Almost my exact thinking - I thought maybe MS ex-programmers had moved into the linux OS coding world.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-26, 22:58   #15
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29×199 Posts

Quote:
Almost my exact thinking - I thought maybe MS ex-programmers had moved into the Linux OS coding world.
Maybe it's where culled ex-MS Windows OS programmers go to attempt revenge. Or it's what they're doing in some free time, and habits carry over from the office.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 00:06   #16
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

399810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Maybe it's where culled ex-MS Windows OS programmers go to attempt revenge. Or it's what they're doing in some free time, and habits carry over from the office.
I had thought of sabotage, but not of the other ideas.
Old 2021-09-27, 00:13   #17
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100110110010002 Posts

Quote:
Almost my exact thinking - I thought maybe MS ex-programmers had moved into the linux OS coding world.
It's a bit surprising and annoying just how much telemetry is sent back by default. Even from the Server version. And if you're "Public-Facing" it becomes pretty clear who the "anonymized" data is coming from...

At least this can be turned off under Ubuntu. But you need to know to do so.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 20:29   #18
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

992810 Posts
Default So... A possible regression from Fedora 34...

I tried running obs to record a meeting today.

It didn't perform terribly well. At one point it crashed, which caused a massive screen/window scramble period lasting about two seconds. I also can't access two of my three USB web-cams.

One of the side-effects of these types of crashes (which I remember experiencing while using Fedora 32) is every window is resized to be no wider than one screen. I regularly have windows spanning two if not three screens (all 1920x1080; one driven by the CPU' IGPU and two by a GeForce GTX 1050).

I suspect this might actually be an "upstream" bug, although I /thought/ Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS was /supposed/ to update to deal with these types of serious issues. Or, maybe, I'm just running an edge case with multiple monitors spread across multiple video ports exposed on the machine.

I'll work with what I have at the moment. It works "well enough" for my most common tasks.

But I may have to look at installing 21.04 (giving up on the LTS) to get the functionality I expect from my OS(s). Or, go back to another Distribution that delivers on my requirements.

Any thoughts from anyone on this? A fix beyond installing /yet/ another software stack on yet another set of storage devices would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh! Just to be ***very*** clear. This would only be work developer workstations running Desktop. Servers ***always*** run LTS.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2021-09-27 at 20:30
Old 2021-10-02, 19:05   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×17×73 Posts
Default Ubuntu Desktop (Mate) 20.04.3 LTS is not "fit for purpose" (at least, for me).

So, a quick update... It's been just short of two weeks now within the Ubuntu Mate 20.04.3 LTS Desktop environment. I've been applying all updates as they become available.

I'm finding it is not stable enough for my requirements. Nothing special... Just drive three HD monitors (one via an MB video port, the other two through a GTX 1050), and run *lots* of software concurrently (terminals, browsers, VMs, etc).

And, please do this while providing a *stable* work environment. I nominally keep my workstation machines running for weeks at a time between reboots. *I* should choose when those happen, not my environment!

WAY too many crashes! WAY too often!

Seems to be mostly "Marco 1.24.0-1ubuntu1" crashing, which causes a massive ~2-second "seizure" which results in windows being moved from where positioned. I've also found that OBS doesn't "play well" in the environment (which surprises me quite a bit; OBS is very mature software).

My next step is to try Ubuntu Mate 21.04, and see if that release has fixed these bugs. I suspect the problem is "upstream", but Fedora 33 onwards did *not* have these problems (32 and earlier did).

The machine in question (Burrow / Hobbit) is far from the top of the line, but it has 6 real cores, 64 GB of RAM, and 120 GB of highspeed swap.

It *should* be able to (and did under Fedora) provided a stable desktop. I'm giving Ubuntu one more chance.
Old 2021-10-02, 20:25   #20
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·1,999 Posts

I'm runnig Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on almost my entire set of machines and I've started noticing system error messages on many of them. A more recent annoyance, is having to reboot after updates far more frequently than in the past. For me, it would be a major task to change the OS accross my machines, but I sometimes think of doing just that.
Old 2021-10-03, 08:42   #21
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

110110011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Seems to be mostly "Marco 1.24.0-1ubuntu1" crashing...
It *should* be able to (and did under Fedora) provided a stable desktop. I'm giving Ubuntu one more chance.
Is it worth trying a different window manager, perhaps?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-03, 14:35   #22
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2ABB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Is it worth trying a different window manager, perhaps?
Seconded.

I standardized on Xfce many years ago and have no problems with my multi-screen Ubuntu systems.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote