Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2010-07-26, 17:21   #1
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

11101000112 Posts
Default My Apologies

Hello,

About a month ago I had posted here seeking information on whether it was possible to set up multiple computers to help each other out. Everybody who answered my rookie questions (http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13515) was most helpful and patient.

I want to thank all who took the time to help me figure things out. But more importantly, I want to offer my sincere apologies for leaving everything hanging for these several weeks as we dealt with certain private matters.

But now I am back, hopefully for good, and I'm ready to start my PCs contributing to GIMPS.

I welcome your guidance on selecting work and setting it up. Here is my roster of available machiness:

Pentium 75MHz, 128MB RAM tower, Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Pentium 233MHz, 80MB RAM notebook, Windows 98 Second Edition
Pentium II MMX 400MHz, 384MB RAM tower, Windows 98 Standard Edition
Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, 4GB RAM laptop, Vista 64-bit
Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @2.20GHz, 4GB RAM tower, Vista 64-bit

If I recall correctly, NBtarheel_33 suggested that for the P75 I select trial factoring in the following ranges: 932-933M, 934-935M, 936-937M, 938-939M.

I intend to go with the recommendations for the various PCs that were offered in that thread. Please let me know if circumstances have changed in the interim, and what you'd now recommend that I have each computer do for GIMPS. I'm open to all suggestions. My only preference is that I do want the two Vistas to seek prizes. I'll have to look this up as I get reacquainted with the details, but I think there were some smaller interim awards as well, and they're O.K. too.

Thank you very much.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 18:38   #2
axn

Jun 2003

12F816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I
I welcome your guidance on selecting work and setting it up. Here is my roster of available machiness:

Your slower 3 machines have a combined throughput of 1-2% of the other two machines. Consider retiring them (at, the very least, the slowest two).

For the top two, select first time LL. Current state-of-the-art CPUs are underpowered for prize-winning searches.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 19:18   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23·569 Posts

Quote:

Rodrigo
My opinion:
The first 3 really are more or less only capable of low level TF factoring (< 64 bits). That being said this project is weeks away from completing all TF below 64 bits. Any assignment other than TF would either take VERY long or you would not have enough RAM. If you still want to run them you should still select TF-LMH anyway.
- Select TF-LMH for the first 3.

The last 2 are much newer and more powerful and truly could handle any work type quite well. The current biggest need is Double Checking.
- So I would suggest DC (Double Checking) for both cores of the last 2. But if you would rather run LL or PM1 or ECM they would handle those as well. NOTE: If you choose PM1 or ECM you should allocate at least 600M of RAM for each core with those work types.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 20:33   #4
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

170148 Posts

Quote:
I welcome your guidance on selecting work and setting it up.
Rule #1: Enjoy what you do. Pick types of work that please you. (Perhaps sample at least one assignment of each type before deciding your long-term preferences.)

Rule #1 may conflict with some other advice you get, but if you faithfully follow it, you'll be happier in the long run.

GIMPS throughput will take care of itself as long as you follow Rule #1. Throughput's not a deity that demands devotion from everyone. However, it does have some very devoted and aggressive devotees, so keep an eye on the predicted completion dates for your assignments. The farther in the future the predicted date, the more likely you are to be hassled about it by throughput-devotees.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-07-26 at 20:37
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 20:39   #5
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

22×7×59 Posts

Quote:
My only preference is that I do want the two Vistas to seek prizes.
I agree with axn : let your 3 old machines rest in peace.

Since you want to "seek prizes" you have only two options for the two Vista machines :
- "First time tests" and
- "World record sized numbers to test".

If you are very lucky and do find one you might share in the 150 000 USD prize that is offered for the first 100 000 000 digit prime (which unless somebody is very lucky or unlikely clever is tens of years off.)

You could also directly try to test 100 000 000 digit primes, each test would take you a few years.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 00:34   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

36·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Your slower 3 machines have a combined throughput of 1-2% of the other two machines. Consider retiring them (at, the very least, the slowest two).
I *strongly* agree with this. The available exponents with <64 "bits" of TF work to be done will be completed (or, at least, assigned) within two weeks.

Do as cheesehead suggested on another thread, and donate the three slowest machines (which you haven't used for at least a while based on what you've said previously) to a charity.

If you *must* bring these slow machines online, simply select "TF-LMH" on the client during Prime95 installation, and let the server assign work to you. It is not worth your time learning how to "self-assign" when all <64 bit TF work above 200M will be completed in about a week.

(For example, the 932-933M, 934-935M, 936-937M, 938-939M ranges are already long gone....)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2010-07-27 at 00:42
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:02   #7
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

72·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
For the top two, select first time LL. Current state-of-the-art CPUs are underpowered for prize-winning searches.
axn,

Thank you for the idea, I appreciate it.

But I'm not sure what you mean that (even) state-of-the-art CPUs are underpowered for prize-winning searches. Maybe I misunderstood something. In your opinion, will a realistic search have to wait for even more powerful CPUs than, say, the Intel Core i9 ? That would rate a "Wow!"

Rodrigo
Old 2010-07-27, 03:08   #8
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

72×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
- Select TF-LMH for the first 3.

The last 2 are much newer and more powerful and truly could handle any work type quite well. The current biggest need is Double Checking.
- So I would suggest DC (Double Checking) for both cores of the last 2. But if you would rather run LL or PM1 or ECM they would handle those as well. NOTE: If you choose PM1 or ECM you should allocate at least 600M of RAM for each core with those work types.
petrw1,

Thanks very much for the tip about the RAM allocation. This sort of suggestion with details is just what I'm looking for!

Rodrigo
Old 2010-07-27, 03:11   #9
axn

Jun 2003

485610 Posts

Quote:
axn,

Thank you for the idea, I appreciate it.

But I'm not sure what you mean that (even) state-of-the-art CPUs are underpowered for prize-winning searches. Maybe I misunderstood something. In your opinion, will a realistic search have to wait for even more powerful CPUs than, say, the Intel Core i9 ? That would rate a "Wow!"

Rodrigo
Wow, indeed. Currently, the lowest open prize is for 100million (exponent>333M) digit prime. The fastest quad-cores will take nearly a year to complete a single test, running on all four cores!!! (see this thread for benchmarks: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13185)
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:18   #10
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

16438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Rule #1: Enjoy what you do. Pick types of work that please you. (Perhaps sample at least one assignment of each type before deciding your long-term preferences.)
cheesehead,

Your philosophy is very attractive. Why get into something like this if it's going to become an ordeal.

And thanks for the heads-up on other folks' preferences. I see now that there is more than one way to approach this project. Sure don't want to frustrate anybody -- I'll try to be as unobtrusive as possible, while still having the older PCs contribute in their limited, 1998 sort of way.

Rodrigo

Last fiddled with by Rodrigo on 2010-07-27 at 03:20
Old 2010-07-27, 03:22   #11
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

72·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Since you want to "seek prizes" you have only two options for the two Vista machines :
- "First time tests" and
- "World record sized numbers to test".
Jacob
Jacob,

Merci bien!

Does the Prime95 software allow you to select "world record sized numbers" as the assignment?

Rodrigo