ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

32×331 Posts

I got the new message on "Manual Results" page:

Quote:
Your software is outdated.
Your L-L result has been accepted for now, but please upgrade your software to at least v30.3 as soon as possible.
But I was handing in LL DC results. I understand the message for new LL results but for LL DC?
Do we want everyone to switch to 30.3 even for LL DC, so we are doing PRP + CERT negating the original LL results?
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 18:53   #365
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

10010011001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I understand the message for new LL results but for LL DC?
Do we want everyone to switch to 30.3 even for LL DC, so we are doing PRP + CERT negating the original LL results?
Maybe. On average it will take ~1.04 LL to confirm a first LL, due to error rate, but only ~1.01 PRP equivalent with the effort of a CERT.

I wonder what it does with CUDALucas results or Gpuowl LLDC. PRP via Gpuowl is not an option for some gpu models, whose drivers don't support a high enough OpenCL version. It would be a shame to push the older Quadros, Teslas, etc with decent SP/DP ratio down to TF or recyclers. (The models most likely to have the OpenCL incompatibility are also the most likely to have limited ram for P-1 in CUDAPm1. And CUDAPm1 is still alpha software with issues.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-29 at 18:59
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 18:53   #366
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

1138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I'd say the behavior is pretty close to a bug. It certainly is unexpected.

The hours-per-day setting affects very little. Some estimated completion dates, work assignments if you use "What makes sense" work preference.

I'll look into what I need to fix in the next release.
Thanks. For the time being I'll just keep hours-per day greater than 12 then.
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 19:04   #367
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

22×3×5×53 Posts

Quote:
I think that would be good. A PRP+Cert will clear the exponent just as well as a successful LL-DC would, and be quicker if the DC doesn't match.

There will no doubt be lots of old installations that won't get updated quickly, if ever. I would suggest that pre-30 installations soon (if not immediately) be relegated to DC-only work, even if they asked for first-time LL assignments. I know George has a much more lenient and tolerant approach to users who refuse to upgrade than I would so it might not happen, but I think we need to encourage as many users as possible to upgrade as soon as possible to avoid unneccesary effort being wasted on two checks when one will suffice.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 19:13   #368
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,441 Posts

Quote:
A broader install base of v30 will also spread the load of running the certs around. This will help. Let slower machines do the certs while faster machines do more of the PRP work.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 20:29   #369
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11011111101102 Posts

Quote:
I got the new message on "Manual Results" page:

But I was handing in LL DC results. I understand the message for new LL results but for LL DC?

I think encouraging the upgrade is a good idea regardless.

I'm ambivalent about DCes being done as LL or PRP+CERT. Cost is about the same. LL-DC provides feedback on the original computer which is of some minor value.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 20:44   #370
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I think encouraging the upgrade is a good idea regardless.

I'm ambivalent about DCes being done as LL or PRP+CERT. Cost is about the same. LL-DC provides feedback on the original computer which is of some minor value.
How about LL-DC's for assignments less than 2 years old. Anything much longer and the data of a bad LL is not actionable.

Also, start giving any machine that is returning first time LL's, 25% DC's then in 2 months move it to 35%, then 45%, etc. If they want to avoid the DC's they need to upgrade.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-09-30 at 14:48
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 14:41   #371
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

116610 Posts

I searched through this thread and was not able to find how to stop getting cert work with the new version. One of my older laptops that I upgraded to the latest version yesterday has been receiving cert work but keeps getting the message "Error getting CERT starting value." The program tries twice then aborts the assignment. I would prefer to stop getting cert work on this laptop.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 14:46   #372
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

318010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs View Post
I searched through this thread and was not able to find how to stop getting cert work with the new version.
Prime95 GUI has the checkbox under Test > Worker Windows... > [ ] Get occasional proof certification work.
Alternately, in local.txt put CertWork=0 to disable Cert work.
Old 2020-09-30, 15:56   #373
jwnutter

"Joe"
Oct 2019
United States

22·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
I think that would be good. A PRP+Cert will clear the exponent just as well as a successful LL-DC would, and be quicker if the DC doesn't match.

There will no doubt be lots of old installations that won't get updated quickly, if ever. I would suggest that pre-30 installations soon (if not immediately) be relegated to DC-only work, even if they asked for first-time LL assignments. I know George has a much more lenient and tolerant approach to users who refuse to upgrade than I would so it might not happen, but I think we need to encourage as many users as possible to upgrade as soon as possible to avoid unneccesary effort being wasted on two checks when one will suffice.
Your suggestion wouldn't impact me in any way and I can't disagree, but if the name of the game is maximizing total available clock cycles to the GIMPS project a forced upgrade may do more to harm the cause than help. But I would agree, there is a trade off between maximizing the total number of available clock cycles and the efficiency of each cycle. Regardless, encouraging users to upgrade as soon as possible would be of great benefit.
jwnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 16:05   #374
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

C6C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnutter View Post
.. a forced upgrade may do more to harm the cause than help.
I doubt there would ever be any "forced" upgrade (as far as I know there's still 15+ year old v24 installations chugging along contributing their little bit to the project). But an encouraged upgrade would make the cycles of those who do upgrade more useful.