mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2013-11-24, 21:34   #1
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

10111001002 Posts
Exclamation DSL Internet Disconnection Issues

Don't tell me to use Google. I already tried everything that came up.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this problem? I've been having DSL Internet disconnection issues for the past year or more and I can't figure out why! It'll just disconnect then, 30-45 seconds later, successfully reconnect Here's what I've done so far:

1. Call my ISP's support hotline (they came out and said I needed a new line from the outside box to the inside jack)
2. Replace the old DSL line with a new one (made it run a little faster, but didn't fix the problem)
3. Move the router at least 1 yard from the closest landline phone (didn't work at all)

Here's when it happens the most:

1. When there is at least 1 PC connected by wireless (I use an Ethernet cable, my PC's wireless stopped working last year. I don't know why. :( )
2. On clear days, even if there are no clouds in the sky.
3. In autumn and spring, less in summer and winter. Strange.
4. Before a severe T-storm, no matter what direction it comes from.

I just don't understand why it happens, or how to fix it. It even happened when I was typing this! Please help!
Stargate38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 21:55   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101010011110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
I just don't understand why it happens, or how to fix it. It even happened when I was typing this! Please help!
Sounds like a layer 1 issue to me.

Does your IP change in-between these outages?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 23:42   #3
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

22×5×37 Posts

No. I usually have a static IP address.
Old 2013-11-24, 23:56   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×5,437 Posts

Quote:
No. I usually have a static IP address.
What is your layer 0, 1 and 2?

Is your layer 1 running over wireless, glass or metal?

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2013-11-25 at 00:03 Reason: Reasons.
Old 2013-11-25, 05:21   #5
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

From his post, I'll assume metal (possibly old copper--pots) and (I'm sorry to say) let's discount both the weather when you remember it happening and the ISP's technicians saying the problem is in the house.

The problem is never in the house, unless you changed something. Static telephone wires get old and brittle, but very rarely break or become loose in terminations unless something causes them (like the homeowner moves them, or an earthquake happens) but the ISP wants the problem to be there because 1) it is not the technicians problem and 2) because they don't have to fix something ($) and 3) they can try to charge the homeowner to run new wire (also $)

The fact that your speed increased but the problem did not go away is evidence that you had poor quality copper and replaced it with newer copper of similar or better quality and also evidence that the problem is not with the home wiring.

I'll make some basic assumptions, let me know if they are incorrect. You are using dsl over existing telephone lines in your home. You have some kind of filter that plugs into the phone connection, then you plug your dsl modem into that filter.

You have tried a different filter.
You have borrowed a different dsl modem to try to replicate the problem.
You have connected directly to the dsl modem bypassing all routers and switches and the problem still occurs.
And, although you didn't say it, I'm assuming that at one time you had good service but that for the last year or so you have not.

You need to log into your dsl modem and find the signal to noise ratio. if it is a speedtouch you can open a browser window and type in speedtouch.lan or 192.168.1.254 if it is another brand look up what it's url is making sure your computer is directly attached to the dsl modem (not going through additional routers and switches--this is not absolutely necessary but may eliminate some problems)

Once you've logged into the modem find the page with errors and note any (sounds like there will be a bunch)

you need to find the page where it will give you the signal to noise ratio (listed in dBs) You want a high number here (above 10 is good above 20 is better)

and you need the signal loss also measured in dBs (the lower the number the better below 40 is generally acceptable, above 60 means we probably can assume this is your problem.)

Other things to try: If the problem used to not exist try resetting the modem to factory settings--maybe. If the original install required a user id and password make sure you have those handy before you reset the modem.

update the firmware on the modem, not likely to help but who knows? technology is buggy. see above warning about user ids and passwords.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 00:02   #6
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

22×5×37 Posts
Default Modem/Router Info

If you want to know my modem type, it's a 2WIRE. I haven't had anything more than the rare tremor in my area (I live in a seismically calm area), so that couldn't be the cause. It ran EXTREMELY WELL when I first got it, than it slowed down in the summer of 2011. That's when the DSL problems became serious enough that I couldn't download anything >64 MB without having to repeatedly start the download over again. My DSL is separate from the phone line. Here's what I got from the 192.168.1.254 page:

Software version 5.29.113.10
Password: Not Set

Incoming: 576 kbps (72 KB/s)
Outgoing: 288 kbps (36 KB/s)

Firmware: Up to date

Page 2:

Fully Operational

DSL Link and Internet: Both Connected

Internet Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (not giving this out)
Hardware Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Key Code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Old 2013-12-07, 00:22   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·5,437 Posts

Quote:
It ran EXTREMELY WELL when I first got it, than it slowed down in the summer of 2011. That's when the DSL problems became serious enough that I couldn't download anything >64 MB without having to repeatedly start the download over again.
Please forgive me for this, but you actually have little to no idea what your layer zero, one or two are. Do you?
Old 2013-12-07, 00:26   #8
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32×241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Please forgive me for this, but you actually have little to no idea what your layer zero, one or two are. Do you?
And if he doesn't?
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 03:26   #9
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts

there's rarely a need for Layer 8 to know much about the other layers. :)

No cordless phone bases near the modem?
No other 'leaky' electronics (like old or cheap televisions)
How long is the phone cord between the phone jack and the dsl modem?

Have you tried the things in the earlier post, like a different filter, or borrowing a modem from someone (or buying a new one and returning it after we troubleshoot, unless it works perfectly, then we have found at least one problem--the shotgun method)

Are you in an apt. building?

Do you know if something changed at the ISP during the summer of 11. One example would be if you have AT&T and they swapped boxes to the new style that uses Uverse. If they did that swap at the same time you started having problems then dollars to donuts the technician screwed something up. This is not uncommon.

What I would do first is change the channel of the device unfortunately I have no idea how to do this on your device. The only thing I can think of that would be worse on a clear day electronically would be if someone near you (or something near you is broadcasting on the same channel as the device.) and even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because you said you use copper connections to the router.

Humor me and put filters on your actual phone lines, they won't hurt the voice signal (the filters typically filter above 25kHz I think) and we will eliminate cross talk between the wires. I know you said it's a separate line, but usually this is accomplished by splitting 4 wires into 2 pairs somewhere along the way, even if the technician installing the line said they ran a new connection, it was probably terminated at the local box at your home.

Last fiddled with by chappy on 2013-12-07 at 03:28 Reason: plural's don't take apostrophe's
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 05:04   #10
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011101011002 Posts

Quote:
If you want to know my modem type, it's a 2WIRE. I haven't had anything more than the rare tremor in my area (I live in a seismically calm area), so that couldn't be the cause. It ran EXTREMELY WELL when I first got it, than it slowed down in the summer of 2011. That's when the DSL problems became serious enough that I couldn't download anything >64 MB without having to repeatedly start the download over again. My DSL is separate from the phone line. Here's what I got from the 192.168.1.254 page:

Software version 5.29.113.10
Password: Not Set

Incoming: 576 kbps (72 KB/s)
Outgoing: 288 kbps (36 KB/s)

Firmware: Up to date

Page 2:

Fully Operational

DSL Link and Internet: Both Connected

Internet Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (not giving this out)
Hardware Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Key Code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
I would contact your DSL/phone company. I've storms weaken copper wires and had to get my phone line switched to a new pair of wires running down the street.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 06:18   #11
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Contact your ISP and have them send you a new modem. We recently had one fail out of the blue after five years of service.

Also, your speeds sound on the low side for DSL. Our first DSL (in 2008) was 1.5Mbps down/384kbps up; in the last couple of years, that has bumped up to 3Mbps down/1Mbps up.

Of course, mobile broadband (i.e. 4G and 4G LTE cellular networks) put DSL to shame. My computer is tethered to my smartphone right now: 6.5Mbps down/1.88Mbps up. We are supposed to be getting LTE around the first of the year, and that will improve things to 15-20Mbps down and 7-10Mbps up.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote