mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing > GpuOwl

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-25, 22:07   #2487
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

41×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Somehow we got gpuowl to work on our integrated graphics. (It runs so slow that it isn't worth doing, but it is neat that it works at all!)
Code:
2020-09-25 13:26:07 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630-1 OpenCL compilation in 6.71 s
2020-09-25 13:26:21 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630-1 77936867 OK        0 loaded: blockSize 400, 0000000000000003
2020-09-25 13:26:56 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630-1 77936867 OK      800   0.00%; 29530 us/it; ETA 26d 15:17; 1579c241dc63eca6 (check 11.88s)
2020-09-25 15:07:23 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630-1 77936867 OK   200000   0.26%; 30198 us/it; ETA 27d 04:05; f0b04b45b0855bd2 (check 11.97s)
Yes. HD630<UHD630. Your posted timings extrapolate to 6-7 weeks for one PRP of a wavefront exponent. And it would contend for the TDP and memory bandwidth available for mprime etc on the cpu. Which version gpuowl was it?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...hics-630.c2962
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...56797vsm178724
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 22:28   #2488
moebius
 
moebius's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Germany

22×32×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Somehow we got gpuowl to work on our integrated graphics. (It runs so slow 2020-09-25 15:07:23 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630-1 77936867 OK 200000 0.26%; 30198 us/it; ETA 27d 04:05; f0b04b45b0855bd2 (check 11.97s)
Without wanting to offend you, don't do it, it's an excessive waste of electricity.
moebius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 00:38   #2489
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·41·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Yes. HD630<UHD630. Your posted timings extrapolate to 6-7 weeks for one PRP of a wavefront exponent. And it would contend for the TDP and memory bandwidth available for mprime etc on the cpu.
We were not using the integrated graphics for the display so maybe that contributed to it working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Which version gpuowl was it?
6.11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Without wanting to offend you, don't do it, it's an excessive waste of electricity.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 03:46   #2490
preda
 
preda's Avatar
 
"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

1,301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron3529 View Post
Is it possible to test SP in gpuowl now?
I will soon bought nvidia RTX 3090 and want to test whether 3090 generate good results
I want to test dp,sp and int32(maybe using M31), is it possible using gpuowl to perform such test?


anyway, thanks for your great program!
For a developer wanting to explore, those past experiments are available in git history; but they're not active now.

I'm planning to implement a double-SP in gpuowl next (1 month timeframe).
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 04:40   #2491
Neutron3529
 
Neutron3529's Avatar
 
Dec 2018
China

1010002 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by preda View Post
For a developer wanting to explore, those past experiments are available in git history; but they're not active now.

I'm planning to implement a double-SP in gpuowl next (1 month timeframe).
Thank you for your reply!


...


I'll wait both your implementation and the water-cooling version of RTX 3090.
(A sad thing... maybe you'll be faster than RTX3090 )
Neutron3529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 15:19   #2492
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

41×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron3529 View Post
Is it possible to test SP in gpuowl now?
I will soon bought nvidia RTX 3090 and want to test whether 3090 generate good results
I want to test dp,sp and int32(maybe using M31), is it possible using gpuowl to perform such test?
V1.9 & 1.10 implemented DP, SP, M31, and M61. It's unlikely to run on NVIDIA though. FFT lengths supported then were 2M, 4M, 8M only IIRC.
https://github.com/preda/gpuowl/blob/NTT/README.md
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...39&postcount=4
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 16:47   #2493
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

110010101102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
V1.9 & 1.10 implemented DP, SP, M31, and M61. It's unlikely to run on NVIDIA though. FFT lengths supported then were 2M, 4M, 8M only IIRC.
I want to get this straight. I have looked at the last several postings above. They read like features will be added which will not function on Nvidia GPU's, making it unusable. Is this correct?
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 17:40   #2494
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

33×163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I want to get this straight. I have looked at the last several postings above. They read like features will be added which will not function on Nvidia GPU's, making it unusable. Is this correct?
Do you understand how version numbers work? If you do, you can figure out whether 1.9 and 1.10 are in the future or the past. I say this since the context of the posts escapes you entirely.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 18:58   #2495
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

121916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
V1.9 & 1.10 implemented DP, SP, M31, and M61. It's unlikely to run on NVIDIA though. FFT lengths supported then were 2M, 4M, 8M only IIRC.
https://github.com/preda/gpuowl/blob/NTT/README.md
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...39&postcount=4
Second link includes this text:
Code:
Nov 2017 V1.9 binaries for Windows http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...&postcount=226
Jan 2018 V1.9 binaries updated for Windows http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...&postcount=272
Preda develops gpuowl on AMD gpus, linux, and its rocm driver. He has been generous enough to support Windows also from the very beginning, and with a little help from others has also since V6.5 (May 2019) supported NVIDIA gpus somewhat. Any support in gpuowl of Intel IGPs or AMD IGPUs etc is probably a lucky coincidence. V6.11 has had an amazingly long run, with at least 380 commits apparently. (I wonder which of those XYZZY referred to above.) Preda's now planning what gpuowl V7.x will or won't offer. Hopefully it will continue the NVIDIA support.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-09-26 at 19:01
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 22:27   #2496
preda
 
preda's Avatar
 
"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

24258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Hopefully it will continue the NVIDIA support.
Yes, I'm as excited as anybody about the new shiny hardware coming out.

I also like AMD's open philosophy (open source), and unfortunately Nvidia doesn't share in that. That's the historical reason why I don't own any Nvidia GPU ATM.

OTOH AMD has been underwhelming on the GPU front since the great Radeon VII. Simply no worthy AMD GPU available now. (and that's without saying anything about the software side, the ROCm development..)

So, if Nvidia builds good hardware, we should put it to good use if possible. I plan to explore a bit SP, which if successful would benefit Nvidia HW most.
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 00:34   #2497
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2·811 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Do you understand how version numbers work? If you do, you can figure out whether 1.9 and 1.10 are in the future or the past. I say this since the context of the posts escapes you entirely.
I should know how version numbers work. I've at this since 1988. The gpuOwl version I am running now is 6.11.380. Before was 6.11.340. I do not understand how 1.9 and 1.10 fit into this scenario, unless they go way back in time and were early releases.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mfakto: an OpenCL program for Mersenne prefactoring Bdot GPU Computing 1657 2020-10-27 01:23
GPUOWL AMD Windows OpenCL issues xx005fs GpuOwl 0 2019-07-26 21:37
Testing an expression for primality 1260 Software 17 2015-08-28 01:35
Testing Mersenne cofactors for primality? CRGreathouse Computer Science & Computational Number Theory 18 2013-06-08 19:12
Primality-testing program with multiple types of moduli (PFGW-related) Unregistered Information & Answers 4 2006-10-04 22:38

All times are UTC. The time now is 11:11.

Thu Oct 29 11:11:03 UTC 2020 up 49 days, 8:22, 1 user, load averages: 1.52, 1.64, 1.59

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.