Old 2020-09-24, 23:23   #45
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2×811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Why is (unfortunately) why so much documentation is needed for actions like this. One needs to "cover their ass" beforehand, not afterwards as memories are not reliable. This is where certified mail can be helpful especially if you attach a return receipt to it. If you get the return receipt the recipient cannot claim they never received the certified mail.

Nevertheless we are in a place (as a race) where few want to take responsibility for their words or actions. They choose to get overly defensive or overly aggressive instead of saying "I made a mistake and apologize".
CYA is SOP these days. Certified mail: An alternate choice is to not sign for it, then it goes back to where it was sent from. It is not a sure-fire way of communicating something.

People, younger ones anyway, do not want responsibility for anything. Any impulse that shoots through their brain comes out of their mouth, regardless of how offensive or degrading it may be. This goes back to the home culture they grew up in. In a word, parents. When I was young, don't speak unless spoken to was the rule of the day. I had to admit my mistakes and pay for them.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 00:47   #46
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
CYA is SOP these days. Certified mail: An alternate choice is to not sign for it, then it goes back to where it was sent from. It is not a sure-fire way of communicating something.
With Certified Mail (return receipt requested), you can prove you sent a piece of mail to such-and-such an address on a specific date. This used to be a common way for people to document the fact that they mailed in their income taxes on time.

People filing lawsuits (Plaintiffs) are legally required to notify (and be able to prove they notified) the person they are suing (the Defendant) in writing, before the case can proceed. This is to insure that nobody gets sued unawares. Similarly for evictions.

Some prospective Defendants have traditionally avoided being notified -- if the complaint is mailed, they refuse delivery. Then the notices are given to either Sheriff's deputies (the usual choice for eviction notices), or sometimes to professional "process servers" (known pejoratively as "paperhangers"), who try to serve the recipient directly. Recipients have sometimes gone to great lengths to avoid being served. My mother was once called upon by Sheriff's deputies seeking to serve papers on some person she had never heard of. The deputies told her that it was common for people to give false address information in order to avoid being served.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 12:21   #47
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
People, younger ones anyway, do not want responsibility for anything. Any impulse that shoots through their brain comes out of their mouth, regardless of how offensive or degrading it may be. This goes back to the home culture they grew up in. In a word, parents. When I was young, don't speak unless spoken to was the rule of the day. I had to admit my mistakes and pay for them.
I can forgive youth more than I can adults. Youth can be impulsive due to lack of maturity. My issue with adults who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. The person in the White House is a good example of that. As many people somehow think highly of that individual, they follow that person's behaviors.

I am sure that if someone suggested that "restraint, respect, and responsibility" were to be taught to our youth in school that it would be countered by someone claiming something about "liberal indoctrination" and "taking away freedom of speech".
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote