mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software > Mlucas

Old 2008-03-11, 23:41   #1
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts
Default Mlucas/Glucas for LLR tests?

I was wondering, how easy would it be to tweak Mlucas or Glucas to run LLR tests? Then non-x86 platforms would no longer be limited to sieving for k*2^n-1 projects.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 00:06   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

I estimate several months' work at least - not horrendous, but given all the stuff already in the near-term [next 6-12 months] to-do list, I won't have any time for such additional work.

Sorry,
-Ernst
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 00:23   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I estimate several months' work at least - not horrendous, but given all the stuff already in the near-term [next 6-12 months] to-do list, I won't have any time for such additional work.

Sorry,
-Ernst
Oh, I see. I thought it would be a trivial task--I guess not.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 20:26   #4
Jean Penné

May 2004
FRANCE

24×5×7 Posts
Default A lot of work to do...

It is not trivial at all!
I am working for a while(but not continuously...) on a portable, C code only, version of LLR, and wrote a prototype program which works on k*2^n+/-1 numbers, and k up to ~16 bits, but there is still a lot of work to do before having a program reliable and easy to use, enough to be released...

IMHO, the most advanced person on this task is Phil Carmody who wrote a program named "Phrot" :

This program (if my info. is up to date) does PRP tests on k*b^n+/-1, where b is not necesserily 2, and uses the YEAFFT library for the large integer modular multiplications and squarings. I think that to implement LLR and Proth algorithms in this code would not be very difficult, but nevertheless, not really trivial...

Regards,
Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 22:25   #5
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

592310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Penné View Post
IMHO, the most advanced person on this task is Phil Carmody who wrote a program named "Phrot" :

This program (if my info. is up to date) does PRP tests on k*b^n+/-1, where b is not necesserily 2, and uses the YEAFFT library for the large integer modular multiplications and squarings. I think that to implement LLR and Proth algorithms in this code would not be very difficult, but nevertheless, not really trivial...

Regards,
Jean
I use phrot frequently, but I limit my searches to Generalized Woodalls, Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5, and Conjectures 'R Us. I have found that his software (on PowerPC) has issues when b = 2^m (for m >= 1) and k > 1. I should clarify that. I don't think the bug is in his software, but in YEAFFT. With those two conditions there appears to be an FPU rounding error in YEAFFT that is somehow masked so that phrot cannot detect it. In other words, phrot thinks that the test is valid (maxerr < 0.5), but the test results are incorrect (numbers that are prime are returned as composite). I have spent a little time researching it, but don't have enough knowledge to debug YEAFFT. It can be difficult to debug because the numbers that fail are over 10000 bits. If I could find one that fails that has only a few hundred bits, I might be able to find the problem. I've tried to contact Guillermo Valor, but he never responded. Phil might have the skill to debug it, but I know he tends to be very busy.

To make this clear, I use his software on PowerPC for all bases where the base is not a power of 2. I have found hundreds of new primes with phrot, but since they tend to be low-hanging fruit for the other projects I participate in, they are not large enough to make it to the Prime Pages. I have tried, but haven't had any luck as of yet.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2008-03-12 at 22:31
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote