Closed Thread

Old 2005-10-07, 07:57   #45
ppo

Aug 2004
italy

11100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix
I have a suggestion to make. Instead of having a cranks sub-forum why don't we have a sub-forum for the good math threads. That way we can move the non-crank threads to the next levels and the cranks would not mind, since their threads are still in consideration and has not been totally disregarded.

I know this will be alot of work for the moderators,but if the moderators are up to it, we could give this a try.

What to you all think?

Citrix
good idea

pierpaolo
Old 2005-10-07, 13:41   #46
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22·97 Posts

I think this was in essence what philmoore suggested – see post 37 in this thread – but Citrix deserves the credit for editing it down to the essentials. Instead of winnowing out the chaff we move the good stuff into a clean environment. It is a good idea and will, unless someone else comes up with something even better, get my vote.
Old 2005-10-10, 21:59   #47
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

C416 Posts
Default re t676 #2

Not referring to my original essay and submission, which mainly uses Fermat and pseudoprime discount,
I believe it has been stated that some sort of circular argument exists
that makes the continuing sequence neither provable or disprovable.
Here's a challenge for whoever on to use some of the later of t676 entries to break such a deadlock:
Prove:
If the continuing sequence is false then Wilson's theorem is false.
If that could not be considered for a proof by contradiction then what is?
Let your submissions stand the test of time.

Ace mathematicians go to it.
Remember though we are staying generally in the realm of positive whole numbers, and not as in an area of application that includes complexes,irrationals or transcendentals.

For instance ((2^.5)^4=4 would be taboo.
Old 2005-10-10, 22:12   #48
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

38810 Posts

I believe that the general consensus of opinion among the mathematical community is that the onus is on the author of a theorem to prove that it is true, rather than for him to provide a “challenge” for others to prove that it is not.
Old 2005-10-10, 22:15   #49
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7·23·71 Posts

To DJHJr: right subforum, wrong thread. Consider engaging user bearnol in a discussion of your proposal - he will surely be interested.

CAUTION: This medication may induce drowsiness or exacerbate pre-existing crankish tendencies. While taking this or similar medications, refrain from driving at night, operating heavy machinery or making number-theoretic conjectures or claims. Make sure to finish all of this medication.
Old 2005-10-10, 23:25   #50
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Since the current form of the subforum Miscellaneous Math Threads seems to be working quite well but various popular authors of MMT threads cannot seem to refrain from posting their ideas to this administrative thread, I'm locking it.
Closed Thread